Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2011, 06:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weird AF problem I haven't heard anyone mention

I just got my K-5 on Monday, and I'm quite happy with it. The only issue I've had so far is a problem when using the DA 16-45. In shadows, even in daytime, sometimes the lens will hunt, then the camera will give me the hexagon and AF confirm light, but it won't take a photo. I have to switch it to manual focus to get it to take the photo. I've checked all my settings, and they're the same as my K-7, but the K-7 will take the photo. For example, catch-in-focus is not on. I might have missed something, but I don't know what.

I have not tried every lens. I use a lot of manual focus lenses - the 16-45 is actually my first Pentax AF lens aside from the kit lens I got with my K-x. But it would be nice to be able to use AF reliably.

Any ideas what could be causing this.

05-25-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It doesn't like your composition?

I wish my K-5 had that feature. Would be a fine instructional tool and allow me to own half the terabytes of disk I do now .....
05-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I've had the same problem with the DA* 50-135, but on the DS, K10D, K20D and K5.......I assume it it is the lens. I don't recall ever having this problem with my DA 16-45...maybe someone will have a more definitive answer?
05-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Try going to Settings 15. AF-S and change it to Release Priority

05-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
It doesn't like your composition? I wish my K-5 had that feature. Would be a fine instructional tool and allow me to own half the terabytes of disk I do now .....
LOL - The composition of the shot I was trying to get was bad. I was just going for a high-contrast shot to see what I could do with it in PP.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I've had the same problem with the DA* 50-135, but on the DS, K10D, K20D and K5.......I assume it it is the lens. I don't recall ever having this problem with my DA 16-45...maybe someone will have a more definitive answer?
Glad to hear I'm not entirely alone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
Try going to Settings 15. AF-S and change it to Release Priority
Will check that out - thanks.

Last edited by Designosophy; 05-25-2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Avoid double-posting
05-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

I use single point focusing and if won't lock quickly I try to find a different point on my subject on which to focus. Often the point on which I'm trying to focus will not have enough contrast for it to read.
05-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Never had that happen where I get the green hexagon and it won't release. I can't even think of a setting that would prevent it firing if the camera gives the green hexagon. Unfortunately, that sounds like a problem with either the camera or lens (or combo). Is it repeatable?