Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Is it impossible to get shots like this (link given) with a K5 without stitching?

I love the newborn photos on this website www.theportraitplaceweb.com/ . I notice the depth of field is shallow and I know that can be achieved with an aps-c camera but the field of view is larger on the full frame which gives you more view of the shallow dof. It is impossible to get these type of shots on an aps-c without stitching multiple photos? I know lighting is important and I'm not concerned about the processing as much, just the depth of field and how much DOF you can see.

Is a full frame needed for this?

Last edited by crossover37; 05-25-2011 at 03:29 PM.
05-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crossover37 Quote
I love the newborn photos on this website Seattle Newborn Photographer - The Portrait Place - Photography by Alecia Silva . I notice the depth of field is shallow and I know that can be achieved with an aps-c camera but the field of view is larger on the full frame which gives you more view of the shallow dof. It is impossible to get these type of shots on an aps-c without stitching multiple photos? I know lighting is important and I'm not concerned about the processing as much, just the depth of field and how much DOF you can see.

I think it can be done with aps-c & fast lens. Or with software if need be.
05-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wide aperture lenses also help with 'selective focus' shots, as will getting closer to the subject.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisJ; 05-25-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Addition
05-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

All you need is fast primes, good light and skill.

05-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
I've never seen such wide angle shallow depth of field on my Pentax DSLRs without stitching. If the same shots were taken with my K5, it would probably be a tight crop around the newborns. Correct me if I'm wrong...the full frame sensor isn't cropped so you see more of the shallow dof.

Last edited by crossover37; 05-25-2011 at 04:07 PM.
05-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Inactive Account

. Correct me if I'm wrong...the full frame sensor isn't cropped so you see more dof.
The full frame sensor isn't cropped so you see less depth of field (I know that's what you meant.)
05-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Forum Member

to get equivalent DOF and framing with a cropped sensor as on a full frame sensor you would need to use the equivalent focal length and 1 stop wider aperture. So if the full frame shot is done at 75mm and f2 (total dof of.15ft at 5ft distance) , you would need a 50mm and f1.4 (total dof of .17ft at 5ft distance) to get roughly the same shot. your aps-c shutterspeed would be faster, but you would have roughly the same framing, perspective (dependent only on distance to subject, not focal length), and dof. There are lots of DOF calculators out there on the internet

05-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
The full frame sensor isn't cropped so you see less depth of field (I know that's what you meant.)
Thanks, that's what I meant. I was trying to day you see more of the shallow depth of field
05-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I love the newborn photos on this website www.theportraitplaceweb.com/ . I notice the depth of field is shallow and I know that can be achieved with an aps-c camera but the field of view is larger on the full frame which gives you more view of the shallow dof. It is impossible to get these type of shots on an aps-c without stitching multiple photos? I know lighting is important and I'm not concerned about the processing as much, just the depth of field and how much DOF you can see.

Shallow DOF isn't the problem, shallow DOF and WA is the issue. A FA31 f1.8 or Sigma 30 f1.4 would get close to these results (same DOF, but no the same WA look), but to me those photos look like they were taken with a 35 f1.4 on FF, wide and fast.
05-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
Inactive Account

The photo on the left is nice. It is about 4'-5' high and has a depth of field of about a foot.

If taken with a 50mm lens with camera in portrait mode that'd put the baby about:

x/4 = 50/24 or x ~ 8' from the camera.

According to Online Depth of Field Calculator a 50mm lens at f:3.5 has a dof of about 1' at 8' from the subject - so the kit lens should do it!

For sure a f:1.8 lens would have the dof you want for that photo.
05-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
pbo
Veteran Member

Do note that the photographer can vary the distance between the subject and the background.
05-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It should be immediately obvious that there has been a judicious amount of post processing involved... so the gear used is but just one component in achieving the photographer's desired look to the images.
05-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys.

Creampuff - I'm referring to the shallow dof and the wide view of it. You think the images were altered to give less dof in Photoshop?
05-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Do note that the photographer can vary the distance between the subject and the background.
This is quite true. Also, you can vary your distance to the subject. A lens like the DA 35 limited can focus fairly closely and give quite narrow depth of field if you want that effect. Obviously there are a lot of longer lenses that can give narrow depth of field, although you have to get back in order to get the whole baby in the photo.
05-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input guys.

Creampuff - I'm referring to the shallow dof and the wide view of it. You think the images were altered to give less dof in Photoshop?
Shallow dof effects is easily done in Photoshop and even easier with Photoshop plug-ins like onOne's Focal Point and Alien Skin's Bokeh. So it isn't always about the camera or lens alone but the post processing used.