Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #1

K-5 Lens Selection - Please Help

I am a recent convert from Nikon and really love my K-5. It is well built, has great usability, and is feature packed. The image quality seems very good, but I'm sure I will need some really good glass to bring out the best fromt the sensor.

I am looking to equip my K-5 with a few good lenses and need the advice of experienced Pentax shooters.

I currently have the Sigma 18-250 lens, and although it is OK, there are a couple of issues I have with it:

1. Soft at 18mm
2. Lens type not recorded in EXIF data
3. Cannot manually focus while in AF (like with my 18-200 Nikkor lens)
4. The lens is very bulky, and includes OS which is redundant with the K-5 shake reduction in the body.
5. Although the autofocus motor is quick and quiet, it is sometimes inaccurate, especially at 18-35mm. This is double troubling since you cannot override the autofocus.
6. The Zoom ring turns opposite of any other lens I have ever used.

I tried the Tamron 18-200 and found it much less acceptable than the Sigma, especially in terms of usability. The lens creep was totally unacceptable and the lens feels very cheap on the quality K-5 body.

What would the experts recommend for lenses to go with the K-5. I am specifically looking for:

1. Good walk around zoom for when it is not convenient to change lenses and I need reasonable reach.

2. A sharp prime lense for portraits and general photography.
3. Wide angle.

I have read many lens reviews and since a lot is personal preference, I realize how difficult this can be. However, any help and/or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

05-26-2011, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eliglass Quote
A sharp prime lense for portraits and general photography
DA 70mm or FA 77mm

WA: I have only used the DA 12-24 as a rental for about a week. It was a really good lens. Only reason I did not purchase it was becuase so far there is no WR alterantive.

If you can afford to do it, once you decide on a few items, rent them from cameralensrentals.com. Pretty reasonable prices and the best way to evaluate a lens before purchasing.
05-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 on rental from CLR. Good prices, good selection and very worth the money testing lenses via rentals.

I rented the 21mm lens, and really did like it but it was probably not the most suitable for one weekend event, and likely would go with the 35mm macro for pictures at model contests...though the 16-45 does a pretty good job.
05-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think you are wishfully thinking for something that doesn't exist.---a small inobtrusive, inexpensive, fast, super zoom. I"ve become a real lens junky after buying them over 35 years trying to find the one that I really like.

I've tried a couple super zooms (wide to long telephoto) and I have never stayed with them long. Speed an IQ issues have always left me disappointed.

I think that 2 lenses is the minimum even ifyou must 'travel light'. The lightest combination
that comes to mind is a 21mm limited combined with the DA 50-200 --- the 21mm will fit
in your shirt pocket, and dthe 50-200 is one of the smallest lightest zooms on the market.

-------

that said my absolutely most used lens of my entire collection is the DA* 16-50 SDM.

05-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
Banned

Well for portrait de DA70mm should be great and also DA*55mm. Or if you take the DA*50-135mm that will make a good travel lens and a very good portrait lens.

I wouldn't buy 50-200, then just take the 55-300 instead.
05-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

A 17-70 is a useful range for a single lens. Not particularly wide, but it will get out enough for portraits if desired. You don't really need "sharp" for portraits unless you like retouching :-) The 12-24 is an excellent UWA and with a Tamron 28-75, it would be a good pair.
05-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
kit lens - DA 18-55 WR

05-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have a Tamron 18-250.....I find it most satisfactory for general walkabout shooting. Not the greatest, but is usually acceptable and gives decent results on my K5.

My favorite walkabout on the K5 is my Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.0 HSM OS. This is a lightning fast focusing lens on the K5 and gives nice results at all ranges. I hardly go out without it. Dependable and quick, great color and nice resolution. Another note is that the images from it "process well".....I have some lenses that do well if little processing is needed, but fall apart under stress....the Sigma photos hold up well under heavy processing.

Secondly, I have recommended this lens to several people here, and all of them responded very positively after the purchase.......that they would take the time to do that says volumes.

Best Regards!
05-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

My favorite walkabout on the K5 is my Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.0 HSM OS. This is a lightning fast focusing lens on the K5 and gives nice results at all ranges. I hardly go out without it. Dependable and quick, great color and nice resolution. Another note is that the images from it "process well".....I have some lenses that do well if little processing is needed, but fall apart under stress....the Sigma photos hold up well under heavy processing.
Seconded. I have the non HSM older version and it's a damn fine lens. Very sharp for it's price class.

For a wide angle Prime the Pentax DA14mm/f2.8 is an excellent contender
05-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well for portrait de DA70mm should be great and also DA*55mm. Or if you take the DA*50-135mm that will make a good travel lens and a very good portrait lens.

I wouldn't buy 50-200, then just take the 55-300 instead.
I am very fond of the da*50-135. High quality and after all reaches as far as the 200 did in full frame. I've never found myself very happy with cheap long zooms.

In my world anyway, when you get out to extreme telephoto land === 300 and beyond, your ability to control the scene and lighting is greatly diminished as is the option of using a flash and it's time for a prime.

Not mentioned in the request is a macro. I always feel half dressed for a shoot
without a macro handy.
05-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I also have the DA*50-135.....and for portrait work it is absolutely superb. I am not at all pleased with the SDM, it is slow and not dependable on mine, but even though I use it MF most of the time, it is a lens I would not want to be without. Almost Prime quality in the entire range. Considering the range and the IQ, it is a real bargain.
Regards!

One at 135mm
[IMG] [/IMG]
05-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Consider the DA 18-135 WR for all-round application with decent image quality.
There are better optical quality lenses available, but not quite with the same focal range for APS-C. I also like the DA* 16-50 and Tamron 28-75 for general purpose work, but the trade off for the increased low-light capability of these lenses is the limited focal range they can offer.

For portraiture, the 16-50 is good for full to half body work, Tamron for full body to head and shoulders work and longer primes such as the FA 77 ltd or DA 70 or DFA 100 for close up work. The FA 43 is also very good for general portraiture. Many options here...