Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Review Screen Focus Issues

I've had this experience several times - Shoot an image, review it on the screen, zoom in and see that it doesn't appear to be sharp. A couple weeks ago, I didn't delete the 'soft' image, and when I imported it in Lightroom, I was surprised to discover that it *is* sharp. I've stopped deleting images because they look 'a little soft', and I've seen this happen over and over and over.

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this? I don't remember this happening with the K20D; I'm wondering if they might have changed the way they scale the preview jpg or something.

05-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I agree, but that zoom in on the viewing screen can be extreme(100% or more) . Cut it back a couple clicks on the wheel and it is more realistic..
I never delete till after I have viewed on my PC. (Unless of course it is an abject failure and there are more than a few of them)
05-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I've had this experience several times - Shoot an image, review it on the screen, zoom in and see that it doesn't appear to be sharp. A couple weeks ago, I didn't delete the 'soft' image, and when I imported it in Lightroom, I was surprised to discover that it *is* sharp. I've stopped deleting images because they look 'a little soft', and I've seen this happen over and over and over.

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this? I don't remember this happening with the K20D; I'm wondering if they might have changed the way they scale the preview jpg or something.
Yes, I too have noticed this with the K5 and no other body. I thought it was just me and my aging eyes.
05-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Here is a another link to the same problem.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/125624-quality-sharpness-jpg-preview.html

It is also possible it has to do with the different resolution of the camera LCD screen and that of your computer.

05-27-2011, 03:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I never zoom in more than 4.8x to check sharpness.
05-27-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToGo Quote
Here is a another link to the same problem.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/125624-quality-sharpness-jpg-preview.html

It is also possible it has to do with the different resolution of the camera LCD screen and that of your computer.
I hadn't seen that other thread, thanks.

As is explained in that other thread, I can snap the same image with the K20D and K-5, and zooming in on the K20D looks sharp, and the K-5 zoom-in looks soft. It has to be the way they're handling the preview jpg. The K20D is much more representative of the actual sharpness of the image.

No matter, I was just wondering if others have noticed this, or if mine was behaving strangely. Thanks!