Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for datasheet of K5 sensor chip

Hi everyone,

I am looking for the datasheet of the K5's sensor, which afaik should be a Sony Exmor type.
I could not find it on the Sony Semiconductor website Sony Global - Products Information List

Thanks for your help!

Cheers from Berlin,

jephi

PS. Also looking for K20D sensor datasheet.

05-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Why?

[The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.]
05-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Why?
Maybe for home sensor baking.
05-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Probably not yet "properly" published. This is as far as I got with the part number. And that's just a news item.

Sony Global - News Releases - Sony commercializes world's firs 16.41 Megapixel "Exmor R(TM)" back-illuminated CMOS

05-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
@Franics,

Thanks a lot for the link. Strange that it seems hard to find the actual datasheet.

@smeggypants
And here is why I would like the datasheet:
I have a converted K20D where the filter glass in front of the sensor has been replaced by clear glass, so that I can use it for IR and UV photography with help of the according screw-on filters,
which is great.

I would like to get an idea how much more light I could get at UV and IR by converting a K5 with clear glass.
Therefor I need the datasheet to learn about the spectral characteristics of the sensor chip used.
If the chip does not see a lot in those bands anyway, then it is not worth converting the camera.

Cheers from Berlin,

jephi
05-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks
05-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Francis Quote
Probably not yet "properly" published. This is as far as I got with the part number. And that's just a news item.

Sony Global - News Releases - Sony commercializes world's firs 16.41 Megapixel "Exmor R(TM)" back-illuminated CMOS
This link is about very small sensor, intended for cell phones or compact cameras (about 1/10th the area of the APS-C sensor in the K-5). It happens to be of similar resolution, but that is just a coincidence. It is not the K-5 sensor.

Anyways, I don't think that the K-5 sensor is back-illuminated. I would guess that it uses micro-lenses to steer light away from support circuitry and into the light sensitive wells (that is what back-illumination would achieve also - that all the available light hits photo sites (but then of course some gets filtered away by the bayer filter, and after that there is maybe 50% light collecting efficiency of the silicon, but this is the same whether it is back-illuminated or not)).

Lastly, I am no expert, and if anyone would be willing to describe micro-lenses and back-illumination in more detail, I would be happy to read it.

05-30-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Forum Member

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Inside the Nikon D7000: The K-5 Sensor is There! ;-)

The above link may be a good place to start. It is about a tear-down of a D7000, which means the same sensor as the K-5. I think that you can see the micro lenses in the SEM micrograph ("electron microscope picture"), but this is only my guess of what the bent lines are. If you want more information about the sensor, try googling for imx071, which appears to be its part number.
01-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Greetings Pentaxians,

It has been a while, but I am still looking for the datasheet of the K5 sensor.

Cheers, jephi!
01-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #10

ricehigh's blog mentions the sensor as IMX071, but that doesn't produce anything on Sony's datasheet search.
01-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Can't seem to find anything other than the teardown by Chipworks. Might these be of help?