Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well the K-5 body costs now 969 euro in The Netherlands and I bought mine in november with groep purchase and cashback for 945 euro. Waiting isn't always the way to go.

When I look at price development for K-7 and K-5:
K-7:
http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/240294/pentax-k-7.html

K-5:
http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/266450/pentax-k-5.html

So after half a year the K-7 didn't go down a lot, so waiting wouldn't bring much.

05-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ron is right, the next major movement now that it is in the 1250-1300 range likely won't come till close to the release of the next model where i would guess it will drop to a grand or so initially, maybe 900 after the new one is out (depending of course on what the new model retails at)

Classically all electronics start at a higher price and hold for a while while the previous model clears, once the prior model is gone then prices start eroding and then stabilize at a lower retail (looks like that will be 12-1300 here)
then they hold for a good length of time til they are reaching the end of their life when prices start dropping again slowly at first than faster once the replacement arrives on the shelves (which means i'll be waiting a while since i only just got the k7 )
05-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
But I am having serious second thoughts now -- all the rave about ISO is quite dandy but when I analyzed the photos that I've kept, I saw that I rarely shot above ISO 800 for anything meaningful. So I've deferred, not just hoping that K-5 will drop in price which is inevitable, but also because I wanted to be absolutely certain of what I actually "needed", which just may very well be within what the K-7 can do, after all.
It's not only high ISO. K-5 has amazing dynamic range, you wouldn't believe how much you can pull out of shadows!

I went through all Pentax top level DSLR's except *ist D (*ist DS => K10D => K20D => K-7 => K-5), and I must say that K-5 brought by far the biggest advance in image quality over the previous camera generation. K-7 was the worst upgrade, probably no advance in image quality at all.
05-30-2011, 02:29 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
ust saying......after using my K5 for only a day, I was so thrilled that I forgot all about the price. I can't imagine a day without it. Is it really that good? You bet it is! No other camera on earth carries the Otis Guarantee.......that's just awesome all by itself!
Amen to that, I have been in El Paso for 3 weeks now, and every time I call my wife, I keep telling her how great this camera is, (of course I slip in an occasional "I miss you too")

05-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by ggeorge11 Quote
Amen to that, I have been in El Paso for 3 weeks now, and every time I call my wife, I keep telling her how great this camera is, (of course I slip in an occasional "I miss you too")
Been in El Paso a million times.....pretty warm this time of year....I used to love to go to Juarez for the shopping and fine food...doubt I would take that chance nowadays. There is a world class little Mexican restaurant over in Mesilla, just down the road past Anthony a little way...and the town has a nice old Church and plenty of good shooting opportunities. Some neat Billy the Kid historic sites there too.....
Best Regards!
05-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
I upgraded to a K-7 a few months ago from a K20D which I still have, thinking the K-7 would be my backup for the upcoming K-5...

But I am having serious second thoughts now -- all the rave about ISO is quite dandy but when I analyzed the photos that I've kept, I saw that I rarely shot above ISO 800 for anything meaningful. So I've deferred, not just hoping that K-5 will drop in price which is inevitable, but also because I wanted to be absolutely certain of what I actually "needed", which just may very well be within what the K-7 can do, after all.
My take on this is that you didn't let it above ISO 800 because........ At least if you are like me you at some point explored the pain threshold of increased ISO
decided how high you would routinely go, and in my case I set the AUTO ISO range inside my pain threshold, andgo with it.

If you go through the same process with the K5, I would expect that the result would be 2 or 3 stops higher.
05-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
My take on this is that you didn't let it above ISO 800 because........ At least if you are like me you at some point explored the pain threshold of increased ISO
decided how high you would routinely go, and in my case I set the AUTO ISO range inside my pain threshold, andgo with it.

If you go through the same process with the K5, I would expect that the result would be 2 or 3 stops higher.
I'm fairly comfortable shooting my K-7 at ISO 1600, because I know how to deal with the noise in PP. That's actually pretty good, if you consider what earlier generations of cameras, such as the K10D, were like at ISO 1600. The K-5 is 1-2 stops better in terms of high ISO noise, but it also has much less noise at base ISO, which is one of the reasons that its DR and its capacity for shadow boosting are so huge. Sensor technology is improving dramatically, and one has to wonder how much better it can get. My guess is a lot better, but the K-5 is already very good.

Rob

05-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The price of the K-5 won't truly come down (as in the $700-$800 levels you see for new K-7 leftovers) until its replacement is at least announced. So that won't be before the end of the year at the earliest. Personally, I'm waiting for the price of a new version to break downward through the $1000 barrier. Again, that could be the end of the year.

That's fine - for me. I'm hoping Pentax will be able to work out one or two more bugs in the meantime. Plus, I have a micro four-thirds kit I'm working on as well. But if you really want the K-5 now, will actually use it a lot and can swing $1300, I say why not? You'll be using and enjoying your K-5 instead of talking about it.
05-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy now.
05-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I see some "like new" conditon list at amazon for price like 1150. very tempting. but are these body reliable?
05-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #26

Dont buy used one.

Buy new from reputable source (amazon)

Now because NOW you want it

And enjoy as much as you can

have fun its a sweet camera
06-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #27

what about these stores

are buydig.com, abesofmaine.com or 42nd photo reliable they are showing 1275 + usd
can we buy from there ?
06-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #28
Forum Member

Oh my God I can't tell you how thrilled I am with the K5. Buy it yesterday.
06-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sram327 Quote
are buydig.com, abesofmaine.com or 42nd photo reliable they are showing 1275 + usd
can we buy from there ?
I've bought my last two lenses from Abe's of Maine, they were cheap enough (except as a resident I have to pay taxes of course) and I feel comfortable with a store front where I can return items if need be (I have not had to as of yet). So I'll give a neutral rating with a small plus for my own selfish reasons.

I will likely buy my K-5 before the holiday weekend from Abe's (cause I love to wait for the last second - also why I like a store front) but will check with J&R for price prior - they may not have the best advertised price but unlike Abe's I was able to successfully haggle with them when I bought my K-7.

Two side notes...

If you live in / near / or will be in NYC, do yourself a favor and visit B&H (be sure to check if they are open before heading over they are very religiously observant) just for the experience (a very unique store) and their helpful staff its worth it. I've given them business as well but I usually have to go out of my way to get down there.

I bought a Sony HX9v a couple of days ago and I'm having too much fun with it. Makes me wonder about the rumored A77, LOL. I'm still very much an amateur and a side P&S comes in handy. Features and video PQ are great. Fireworks and Panoramic features will come in handy for our vacation. Still photos are also very good but for some reason I prefer the tonality? of our older Panni... (model escapes me) as well as the form and build.

Sorry for the long post. Ouch.
06-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

It's a trade-off. If you wait until the price drops, then there will be a new body on the horizon. If you buy now, you will probably enjoy the K-5 for longer.

I bought my K-5 from someone on the form. By buying used from a reputable seller, I got two benefits: 1) Lower than new price. 2) Assurance that the unit didn't have sensor stains or serious AF issues. Of course, there are benefits for buying new, too.

Another consideration: The value of your K-7 will probably drop when the K-5's successor is released. Right now, you can sell a used K-7 for about $600, depending on condition, shutter actuation count, and venue.