Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A little while ago I decided I wanted a K-5 so I sold off a few things -- lenses and camera bodies -- that I wasn't using to accumulate enough funds. Now that I have been financially ready to finally pull the trigger, I am having second thoughts.

And for no reason other than reading about the issues reported by users on K-5 threads. The camera seems like mostly a hit but with my luck, I just know if I get one it will have at least half the chance of a miss.

So I am in a holding pattern, but I am not sure if it is for no good reason.

06-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
A little while ago I decided I wanted a K-5 so I sold off a few things -- lenses and camera bodies -- that I wasn't using to accumulate enough funds. Now that I have been financially ready to finally pull the trigger, I am having second thoughts.

And for no reason other than reading about the issues reported by users on K-5 threads. The camera seems like mostly a hit but with my luck, I just know if I get one it will have at least half the chance of a miss.

If you are concerned about getting a bum camera, buy a used one from someone who has confirmed that it doesn't have the problems some discover. This way, you'll also save some money. I bought mine from someone on the forum, and I'm very happy. Otherwise, buy it from someplace that has a good return policy.
06-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can let you know how the latest...

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote

...stock from B & H faires. I just ordered a K-5. I have some concerns as well, but other than the sensor stain issue, I have read of very few problems with the K-5 model. I have seen many more people complain about problems with K-r's and K-7's. I am also new to Pentax DSLR's so I would appreciate any pointers in terms of checking particular things to see if it performs up to spec.
06-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just got mine in today.... battery just got done charging so I will be out shooting tonight! I have waited several months and the price just got right, and at the same time some other things got just right, so I pulled the trigger.

It is a big move up from my ist*D. Love the fit an finish, appears to be a great camera. I am looking up the sensor stain test, and will make sure I got a good copy, but I feel like I just got a new car.

06-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #50
Forum Member

Original Poster
Mine was waiting for me when I got home... time to check it out.
06-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got mine today too! Very Very nice! With the 18-135WR, much better than my K7 and 18-55. I just finished getting the firmware up to date and getting all my settings in order. Highly sweet camera!!
06-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #52
Veteran Member

I'm kind of torn (and have been for a while) on whether to go for the K-5 or begin collecting DA Limited primes, starting with the DA 21. So if I hold off on the K-5 now, I can still get myself a new toy for the Independence Day holiday weekend.

Since I work in New York City, I plan to drop by B&H tomorrow to play with the K-5 for a while (great deal, right?). If I simply must have it, then so be it and I'll order it when I get home to avoid sales tax (which would be over $100). But if I decide I can wait a bit, I may pick up the DA 21 right then and there. After all, sales tax is a lot less on the lens than on the camera.

06-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #53

guys first of all congratulations on your new K-5
did u guys took any 3 or 5 year warranty on the purchase

can u upload pics taken by new k-5
06-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Congratulations on all the K-5s! Wow.
07-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Tomorrow

I had a K20 until a few hours ago. After several weeks of advertising it, the body finally sold. I still own two lenses and a flash so I'm still set on Pentax. I don't see anything in the other brands that I particularly like anyway. So, this week when I get a moment I'll head to the local camera store and pick up a K-5. I'm expecting to pay$1,300.

I know that in a couple of years the boost to Pentax from the Ricoh acquisition will result in some interesting and temping new products but I'm not going to wait that long. Besides, it looks like most improves will be in the movie side of things for the next little while. So for me, the best time to move up to a K-5 is tomorrow!
07-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm..... I've had my K-5 less than a week, and I've packed it up.

I'm going to sleep on it. But I'm almost certainly going to send it back.

Too many problems! I'll just live with my K-7 until Pentax sorts out the bugs in the K-5. Perhaps Ricoh's taking over will help things along.
07-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today was an AWESOME day with the K5. I put my SMC-A 400 and the AF 1.7 converter on, and I was BLOWN away by the video! I wish there was an easy way to show the video and the images, but I am very impressed by how well the K5 performs over the K7.
07-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I think that most people are happy with the K-5 but there are a lot of exceptions. Of course, if you buy any laptop computer you will have a lot of them going back as duds. Our flat screen TV went green on us and had to be returned. There is no quality in electronics like we've come to expect in more mechanized things. I would say to those that have problems to return them for another and likely they would be more than satisfied with the replacement. Just my opinion.
07-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #59
Forum Member

What sort of problems does the K5 has that needs packing it back?

I'm sure I'll be getting a K5 coming 2 weeks but I'm not personally there to test it so now I'm worried
07-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My issues are in the thread "K-5 Focus Issues".

Read too, though, "Dead K-5/Time to Leave Pentax" and "K-5 Bug/Shutter going off by itself" (and others).

Last edited by Byrd-2020; 07-03-2011 at 10:24 PM.