Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I think if you have to ask this question then the answer is no.

05-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The difference is clear to me both in resolution and dynamic range at every ISO, especially ISO 80, which the K-x doesn't offer. Whether this translates into 'better looking' images or not is a separate issue.
Sample please
05-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An image always looks better if you have an image to start with.......I don't have the Kx, but I would be willing to bet the K5 will capture images you are likely to miss with the Kx and do it with better DR and resolution.

Otis claims it does much better than my old K20D for "Fast Action" shots like this one......however, I would also bet your Kx could catch this one?

Shot this at 1/200 ISO 800...so I had plenty of room with the K5 to get a lot more speed if necessary to capture a fast moving Squirrel like Otis is here....
[IMG] [/IMG]

Just get the K5 and see for yourself.....they all carry the Otis Guarantee, how can you lose?

Best Regards!
05-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Pretty much have to echo most of the statements here. With the K5, I just don't worry too much about the ISO, and with the ability to program the camera to user modes and save them, I can shoot from indoors to outdoors, at the vineyards, with one push of a button. I also love to explore old churches, so I can use that setting also. Things like faster focusing , 77 metered zones, these will help. I also like the 5 bracketed shots option. It is the mechanics of shooting the picture, that has been made easier, and the ability to just get a shot off quickly, that seems to be the biggest plus. With the Kx I shot AV mode 95% of the time. Now I am playing with the T-Av option more, and I am really starting to understand it more. As Rupert loves the squirrel world, I love the shooting macros, and flowers. The K5 has made getting those shots way too easy!

Last edited by ggeorge11; 05-28-2011 at 10:18 PM.
05-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ggeorge11 Quote
Pretty much have to echo most of the statements here. With the K5, I just don't worry too much about the ISO, and with the ability to program the camera to user modes and save them, I can shoot from indoors to outdoors, at the vineyards, with one push of a button. I also love to explore old churches, so I can use that setting also. Things like faster focusing , 77 metered zones, these will help. I also like the 5 bracketed shots option. It is the mechanics of shooting the picture, that has been made easier, and the ability to just get a shot off quickly, that seems to be the biggest plus. With the Kx I shot AV mode 95% of the time. Now I am playing with the T-Av option more, and I am really starting to understand it more. As Rupert loves the squirrel world, I love the shooting macros, and flowers. The K5 has made getting those shots way too easy!
That is perhaps the most noticeable thing about the K5.....Easy! Shots I would never attempt with my K20D are now routine. The special features and settings give you huge latitude to do what you want...whatever it might be. When I picked up my previous cameras, there was always some hesitation in my expectations for what I was shooting.......not so at all with the K5, you just get a new degree of confidence you never had before with a Pentax. Not that my previous cameras were not terrific, the K20D has been a fine workhorse for me for three years, but the K5 just amazes me every time I pick it up.

I don't want to wear this shot out here....everyone has seen it, and while not spectacular as a high IQ shot, I would have set at my desk and fretted over the missed opportunity with my old K20D.......with the K5 I just focused through my dirty window pane and shot him.

1/125 (speed I needed!) ISO 12, 800

[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
05-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #21
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Sample please
You need no samples yusuf. Look at the info yourself on DxO, comparing the K-5 and K-x. Greater colour depth, DR and bits per pixel, with smaller pixel pitch and more resolution - all points to better results where it matters (high-contrast imagery, portrait fidelity, landscape photography, larger format printing). This does not say in any way that the K-x is not a capable tool for photography. There is a small but real difference though between it and the newer generation Sony sensor.
05-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
Short answer is NO.
I agree...............NOPE!
05-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Your shots will be less grainy, possibly sharper due to more accurate focus, less blurred due to ability to shoot at higher ISOs, and with less blown out highlights and shadows. The process of shooting may or maybe not become more enjoyable as well.

However, composition, angles, creativity, watching for interesting lighting or creating it, or in other words what truly makes an image outstanding, will not change from your k-x to a d3s or 1d IV.

05-29-2011, 06:38 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
One more item that will be better. 100% crops. I shoot a lot of insects, and when I crop them down to 100%, using my Tamron 90mm macro, they are much nicer.