Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #1

Will the k-5 make my pictures look better than my k-x?

I know it's more about the photographer but if I had a good picture with both cameras, same lens, etc., would my image look better on the k-5? I asked a similar question in the beginner discussion (should have just asked here, no delete though).

I was reading reviews on dpreview and they have jpeg and raw image quality measurements, so someone at least thinks there is a quality difference. I didn't want unreasonable expectations, should I get one. For these purpose, assume ISO 100 and a kit lens. thanks.

05-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What resolution image are we talking? What kind of conditions are you photographing in (lighting)? What are you photographing?

Looking at your gear in your signature, worry about shooting until you outgrow those lenses before you worry about outgrowing the body.
05-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I know it's more about the photographer but if I had a good picture with both cameras, same lens, etc., would my image look better on the k-5? I asked a similar question in the beginner discussion (should have just asked here, no delete though).

I was reading reviews on dpreview and they have jpeg and raw image quality measurements, so someone at least thinks there is a quality difference. I didn't want unreasonable expectations, should I get one. For these purpose, assume ISO 100 and a kit lens. thanks.
Short answer is NO.
05-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
Short answer is NO.
x2 w/o question.

05-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ok. I believe you guys but then why do they have the raw image quality comparison at dpreview? Not only that the k-5 is much higher than every camera on the list.

Please help me understand.
05-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's more to RAW than straight image quality, and it's those small details that make the difference between RAW and JPEG worth considering when doing any serious work. The latitude RAW offers in white balancing, exposure and basic colour manipulations whilst retaining a great deal of highlight and shadow detail is of great value. In JPEG, once these details are lost after an exposure, or PP, they cannot be brought back.
05-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
There's more to RAW than straight image quality, and it's those small details that make the difference between RAW and JPEG worth considering when doing any serious work. The latitude RAW offers in white balancing, exposure and basic colour manipulations whilst retaining a great deal of highlight and shadow detail is of great value. In JPEG, once these details are lost after an exposure, or PP, they cannot be brought back.
Doesn't that mean RAW matters most then when talking about IQ?

05-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Ok. I believe you guys but then why do they have the raw image quality comparison at dpreview? Not only that the k-5 is much higher than every camera on the list.

Please help me understand.
The image quality differences between k-x and k-5 are visible at pixel peeping levels. All review sites love to write about that. Companies love to boast about that. It has very little to do with whether the difference will be visible in the format/size that an amateur/hobbyist is going to use. But that's marketing.

The main factor that can make your pictures better is you.

K-x and k-5, both have similar SONY sensors. They give similar results - k-5 has slightly less noise at lower light. The focus is better but still not in the elite category.

So basically, if we talk about what makes a picture better than the other -
1. Composition - not going to change with k-5
2. Creativity/vision - not going to change with k-5
3. Understanding the lighting - not going to change with k-5
4. Image Quality - With same lenses, it is very similar. K-x is not that far behind k-5 for all practical purposes.

There are some advantages to K-5 - weather sealed body, more controls as physical buttons, better focus. These things will make your photo taking experience better than that with a k-x - NO DOUBT. But it is not going to make your pictures better by any significant margin.

cheers,

Abhi
05-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Doesn't that mean RAW matters most then when talking about IQ?
The K-5 is *capable* of making images with higher technical quality, paired with appropriate lenses and technique. Whether you will notice that difference has to do with your skill level and your chosen task.

If you primarily view your images on monitors, tvs, and digital picture frames, the chances are you will not be able to find any difference in image quality (assuming zoom to "fit" so you can see the whole image on your monitor). That's because they outresolve nearly all monitors, and downscaled to the same size on a 72-100 ppi device like a monitor, there's little difference to be seen.

If you spend time learning what the difference is - what the dynamic range is good for, what MP you need for your target media, etc... you'll answer your own question, because, first and foremost, you'll understand what they mean *in your application*.

But let me sing along with the chorus: If you take the same images, the same way, with the same lenses and target media, it will not make your pictures better.
05-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #10

Original Poster
Then how can one camera have a better RAW image quality? I don't get it.

edit: I reread the posts. I guess it does have better capability but I probably wouldn't notice it except in extreme circumstances.
05-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Then how can one camera have a better RAW image quality? I don't get it.
Image quality is measured many ways. If all else is equal, more MP==more detail (up to a point). The K-5 has more MP, so it can record more detail. But - you have to GET that detail, and then *use* it. So if you print 300dpi prints, a 4288x2848 (k-x) image will print out to 14.3 inches by 9.5 inches; a K-5 4928x3264 will print out to 16.42 inches by 10.88 inches with the same level of detail. So by that measure, it has higher image quality. If you print 8x10s, though, both machines out-resolve the print massively, and so will retain virtually identical quantities of detail. Like if we're trying to fill an 8oz cup with water, it doesn't matter if I have a gallon or a gallon and eight ounces.
05-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks. That was a great analogy.
05-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It can get complicated, but for your purposes, RAW is as good as the lenses and sensor quality and resolution will allow. Also be aware of the difference between shooting in sRGB and AdobeRGB. DxO explains some of their methodologies in comparing RAW between cameras.

Understanding RAW Files Explained
Digital camera benchmark based on RAW image quality
Raw image format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
05-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I have no experience on k-5, but k-5 might be able to pull more details out of shadow - though k-x itself excels in that area. Someone owning both might be having better comment.
05-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Someone owning both might be having better comment
The difference is clear to me both in resolution and dynamic range at every ISO, especially ISO 80, which the K-x doesn't offer. Whether this translates into 'better looking' images or not is a separate issue.