Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax official contacts

Hello,
So far as I know, Pentax offers a free of charge repair of cameras with stained sensors.
To PENTAX K-5 Digital SLR Camera Users
I bought my camera at Amazon in the USA and brought it to Russia. And the bad luck has happened - the sensor in my camera is stained.
What I have got from the Pentax announcement is that repairing of such stained sensors is free of charge regardless of where the camera was bought. But the local Pentax authorized dealers reject to repair my camera free of charge. Here is their addresses in Russia:
International Service Network (Europe) : Support & Service : PENTAX

Could anyone please clarify the case and tell me Pentax Japan big bosses' contacts to let me reach them by email and escalate the issue?

Thank you.

05-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried e-mailing Pentax USA?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you tried e-mailing Pentax USA?
Well, I have sent my request here as well:
http://pentax.quicksupportlink.com/callform/pages/callform.asp?c_id=4&origin_us=true

No answer so far.
05-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #4

Hi,I had the same stain problem like yours.I've had my K-5 bought from Amazon U.S. and have it delivered to Turkey.After seeing the stains on the sensor,I contacted the authorized dealer of Pentax in Turkey,They said I have to get the international warranty card to have my camera repaired outside the country it's originally purchased.The situation is clearly explained in Pentax's official site.
Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site go to warranty information, from there read 'International Warranty Card'
You have to contact with Joe Virgil in Pentax CO. (joe.virgil@pentax.com ) You should e-mail the scan of the receipt of your K-5 purchase,model name,body serial number(be careful to write it correctly) ....
To my luck my cousin living in U.S. bought my k-5 for me and it was no problem for him to ask for the Warranty Card.If you contact Joe Virgil I'm sure they'll send the international warranty card to Russia.They 're really helpful with the sensor stain situation and respond very fast...Don't try to contact Amazon,They can't help and it takes a lot of time for them to reply back.You have to contact directly with Pentax USA.
I hope this will help in solving your problem.Feel free to ask anything,I've overcome the same problem :-)

05-31-2011, 03:19 PM   #5

Here's a part of Pentax U.S. reply to my e-mail for the warranty card but I'm sure there must be some authorized dealer that'll solve the problem...

However, International Warranty applies to the first year of ownership, only, and may not be extended or renewed. Please also be advised that having an International Warranty in itself does not guarantee warranty service outside of the US. You should contact the PENTAX Service Center in that particular country to find out if they honor an International Warranty issued in the US.

Last edited by muratozen; 05-31-2011 at 11:36 PM.
05-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Its an "INTERNATIONAL WORRYTY"
06-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by muratozen Quote
Hi,I had the same stain problem like yours.I've had my K-5 bought from Amazon U.S. and have it delivered to Turkey.After seeing the stains on the sensor,I contacted the authorized dealer of Pentax in Turkey,They said I have to get the international warranty card to have my camera repaired outside the country it's originally purchased.The situation is clearly explained in Pentax's official site.
Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site go to warranty information, from there read 'International Warranty Card'
You have to contact with Joe Virgil in Pentax CO. (joe.virgil@pentax.com ) You should e-mail the scan of the receipt of your K-5 purchase,model name,body serial number(be careful to write it correctly) ....
To my luck my cousin living in U.S. bought my k-5 for me and it was no problem for him to ask for the Warranty Card.If you contact Joe Virgil I'm sure they'll send the international warranty card to Russia.They 're really helpful with the sensor stain situation and respond very fast...Don't try to contact Amazon,They can't help and it takes a lot of time for them to reply back.You have to contact directly with Pentax USA.
I hope this will help in solving your problem.Feel free to ask anything,I've overcome the same problem :-)
Thanks a lot for the detailed instruction and the contacts! Appreciate it! And follow suit.
06-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
Bingo!

It worked!
I sent all the details of my camera purchase to Joe and after some messages exchange Joe released an international warranty for me. Now waiting for it to come by post.
Thank you for your help!

06-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #9

Kudos to Pentax...

I'm really glad that they responded as quick as they did in my situation.That really shows how responsive and helpful they're in solving even international customer care cases...
I've never thought they could release a warranty online and had to wait for the printable version of the Int. Warranty Card for a long time. I hope your services in your country will be as helpful as the were.
Hope you'll soon enjoy your new camera.But be careful if they give you a replacement. In Turkey 96 over 100 cameras had the stained sensor.After having the stain sensor problem ,I think they've collected all cameras with problems and distributed to East European and Middle East countries hoping customers who buy their K-5 s wouldn't notice the stain issue in their camera.But the power of internet failed them :-)
Try to grab one new camera with a serial number starting with 40xxxxx .
Regards.
06-08-2011, 03:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Its an "INTERNATIONAL WORRYTY"
Company policies are funny sometime. So even if it's international warranty, it may not be valid locally. Not exactly but on a similar note, recently Canon India was found to dishonor warranty from a few online retailers just because they were selling it at discounted prices (even though they are not selling grey market).
06-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #11

Original Poster
I'm really glad that they responded as quick as they did in my situation.That really shows how responsive and helpful they're in solving even international customer care cases...
I've never thought they could release a warranty online and had to wait for the printable version of the Int. Warranty Card for a long time. I hope your services in your country will be as helpful as the were.
Hope you'll soon enjoy your new camera.But be careful if they give you a replacement. In Turkey 96 over 100 cameras had the stained sensor.After having the stain sensor problem ,I think they've collected all cameras with problems and distributed to East European and Middle East countries hoping customers who buy their K-5 s wouldn't notice the stain issue in their camera.But the power of internet failed them :-)
Try to grab one new camera with a serial number starting with 40xxxxx .
Regards.
By the way, what is the Pentax policy with the stained sensors? Should they change the flawed sensor of the camera or must they replace the camera?
06-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #12

I think as far as I've read there's not a fixed procedure. The policy changes from one country to another.But generally they replace the cameras with new ones.
I don't think they'll bother with replacing the sensor as long as they get new K-5 's in their stock. If you get a replacement body, be sure to get one with a serial number starting with 40xxxxx and up.There's almost no stain issue in the cameras with this serial number.
06-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #13

Original Poster
If you get a replacement body, be sure to get one with a serial number starting with 40xxxxx and up.There's almost no stain issue in the cameras with this serial number.
Thanks for the clue! Will be watching out for the right number.