Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can shoot PJ with pretty much any dSLR out there, so yes, the K5 is more than good enough.

The only reason I'd think you'd shoot Canon or Nikon is if the paper had a set of lenses for the photo dept. In that case, it makes sense to shoot what the paper owns. Also, Canon and Nikon have well established professional networks so if you go that way, you can get priority service on your gear (for a price, of course). Pentax recently established the same type of network, but I'm not sure how it stacks up to the others.

If you're footing the bill for your camera gear, though, get what makes you happy. They're all good enough, and the K5 with DA* lenses will cover anything you want to do.

05-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
You can shoot PJ with pretty much any dSLR out there, so yes, the K5 is more than good enough.

The only reason I'd think you'd shoot Canon or Nikon is if the paper had a set of lenses for the photo dept. In that case, it makes sense to shoot what the paper owns. Also, Canon and Nikon have well established professional networks so if you go that way, you can get priority service on your gear (for a price, of course). Pentax recently established the same type of network, but I'm not sure how it stacks up to the others.

If you're footing the bill for your camera gear, though, get what makes you happy. They're all good enough, and the K5 with DA* lenses will cover anything you want to do.
My K-5 is acting up, but I can't send it in for repair without worrying about the turnaround time. Perhaps that's one of the biggest concerns. Otherwise I think the K-5 is really suitable for PJ work, especially with its high ISO capabilities. I shoot for my college paper, the Chicago Maroon btw.
05-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #33

Photos: Albums
Ok, here's the message I have from THE SYSTEM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Smeggypants again

05-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Another member here, Urkeldaedalus, does lots of quality photojournalism, including action, with a K-5. Well, did, anyway. I think he's using the GXR more than anything else now. So he's REALLY gone "hobby." LOL

05-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dreamfoto Quote
Ok, here's the message I have from THE SYSTEM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Smeggypants again

Your system needs rebooting
05-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
My K-5 is acting up, but I can't send it in for repair without worrying about the turnaround time. Perhaps that's one of the biggest concerns. Otherwise I think the K-5 is really suitable for PJ work, especially with its high ISO capabilities. I shoot for my college paper, the Chicago Maroon btw.
This is a fair point, but IMO a bit overrated. I'm a big advocate of having two bodies and redundancy when on a paid gig. If one fails while at a gig, I've got backup. If I need to send it in, I can probably buy a K-r overnight and not skip a beat.

I bet that even with the added cost of a K-r, a well-outfitted Pentax system will cost much less than similar Nikon and Canon systems. Heck, the K-r will fit in the price difference between a Pentax F2.8 zoom and their Nikon/Pentax counterpart.
05-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteyJ Quote
Full frame is better. That said, it's the photographer and the lenses, not the camera that matters.
Here we go with the old FF vs. APS-C debate. Sensor size cuts both ways. Sometimes bigger is better (e.g. shallower DOF,) and sometimes it is worse (e.g. shallower DOF.) But there is no doubt that the huge dynamic range of the K-5 and its very impressive high ISO performance place it above some FF cameras. The only reservations that one might have with that camera is AF speed and flash performance. In all likelihood, it is more than adequate for the vast majority of photojournalistic purposes.

Rob
06-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I managed to snatch these in just five minutes of the game and they have both been cropped but otherwise untouched. K5 DA 60-250. I can assure you it was my first ever attempt at shooting hurling.

The regular pros got these -

Corkman

Setanta Sports

Irish Times

The Irish Times image (also used by the Irish Mail) is a great shot but look at the dynamic range, or lack thereof.

So yep, the K5 has the potential but may be limited by lens choice.

Attached Images

Last edited by justinr; 06-05-2011 at 03:55 PM.
06-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I seen a photo journalist once, he was walking about with an old canon.. flash ontop and tape all over his lens to keep it at a specific setting (guess he was shooting wide at hyperfocal?)

Anyway as for the k5 its wonderful, sure its Auto focus isnt as good as a d3 or d700 but i bet its better than the 5d mark II. But the dynamic range of the k5 is better than the d3 and its high iso is almost as good.

Just because a camera is FF dosn't make it better, In almost every way i love the k5 more than the d3.. Sometimes I miss the shallower DoF though and other times I miss the larger view finder but really the k5 just is just an amazing tool and much smaller/lighter.

The only reason I would see the need to use a specific system is to use len's from the company or other people around you, like if you had to shoot sports at 300mm + and you didn't have the lens but to say you need the other system because nikon is for work and pentax is for hobby is alot of bull.

My k5 takes images with more dynamic range, more detail and with its in body stablisation at lower shutter speed with any lens than my d3 and lens ever did.. Although I didn't have any OiS lens for the nikon.
06-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #40
Veteran Member

A Pentax has always been "the" work camera for many photo journalists, particularly those who worked for newspapers. They've covered every sort of news in times of war and peace. They used to do sports, battle shots, all the time with Spotties, K1000's. A K5 can cover just about everything I would think plus you have weather resistance. That might come in handy if you're tramping and skulking about in wet weather trying to get a shot you're not supposed to be taking. Belly to the ground, in full muck? Having a K5 in your hand might be the best choice.
06-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The idea that someone has been a PJ for 35 years and never seen a Pentax used is crazy. Back 30 years ago Pentax was one of the brands most seen around the necks of people in hot spots all over the world. I saw them covering Jimmy Carter at the WH and on the road. Its the person behind the camera that counts the most. Compatibility with those around you doesn't hurt either though.
06-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Some examples:
I would like seeing more often this kind of photos in the newspapers !
06-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I would like seeing more often this kind of photos in the newspapers !
+1 overhere there is mostley only soccer.

My 60-250 is also a wonderfull lens.
06-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
My 60-250 is also a wonderfull lens.
Not to mention your (and mine) 55 !
06-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #45
Pentaxian

If your efficient with a Pentax no matter what is happening, so stick with it ! It's all you have to think about.

I guess you know how to use it well, fast, to get the shot, in that case, why change ?

You have good gear that you know well. You seem to take some great shot. some collegue will always laugh at you, but at the end of the day, that's not the gear tha press the shutter, it's your finger + your brain.
Work hard, win some prize thank to your skill, and no one will laugh at you because of your gear.