Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
The only thing against the 7D is its size, for some
Your criteria for what a dslr should be is just that, your opinion. I have a different opinion and different needs. I had 2 top priorities for my recent purchase;
A. It must have the best low light performance available in order for me to use it to shoot sometimes dark theatre scenes - which i do often in an official capacity.

B. It must have a quiet shutter.

My K5 meet both of those criteria in the price range i was willing to pay. The K5 has been very successful in my first 4 months of usage. I've gotten compliments from customers and professional staff from the first play rehearsals that i've used the camera on. I've never had a 7D, but the PF review would indicate that the K5 iso performance exceeds that of 7D starting at 1600 iso where it holds more detail. I routinely set my maximum iso at 12,800.

And i love that quiet shutter. When i'm backstage taking candid pictures, i'm not distracting staff from their work.

06-02-2011, 03:34 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I was out shooting last weekend with a few colleagues (all of them using Canon). I was curious about the 7D of one of them, so I held it for a moment and looked through the viewfinder. That viewfinder is pretty amazing. 100% coverage AND 1x magnification, and it has a transmissive LCD for showing gridlines, focussing points, etc. Very nice I'd have to say. It also felt quite solid, but that's in part because it's is bigger and heavier than the K-5, which I don't like as much. Also, I found the lower position of the rear dial awkward. That might be because I'm used to the Pentax layout though.
06-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patriotap Quote
hmm, maybe im misunderstanding, so let me reiterate, I CAN without taking my eye off the viewfinder, change the aperture with the rear dial wheel with my thumb and shutter speed with my index finger on the front dial on my 7d. If i want to change ISO, i move my index finger above the front dial and hit the iso button still w/o taking my eye out of the viewfinder.

There is a reason why the wheel and didnt put a dial up at the top of the thumb, but unless you use the 7d and some of its features you wouldnt know that. I didnt and now I use it and its come in handy many a times.

The AF-ON button is there. That button can be modified to be the "half press" of the shutter INSTEAD of it being on the shutter button. Its really nice to do that, so when you seperate the two, you can use your thumb to hit the AF-ON button, that will AF/Track etc and once you take your thumb off it will be set, then you can just press the shutter button and take the pic WITHOUT having to worry about it focusing again.

Sports shooters use this to be able to say track a player get focus and then let the button go and if say a ref passed in front it wont refocus on the ref coming across.
The link says it better than I do
Canon DLC: Article: Back-Button Auto Focus Explained
You are aware that the K-5 also has "back-button" autofocus, right?
06-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Pentax is actually better here.. We can have back-button autofocus and also, even more useful for most people, back-button AF-cancel. Set the AF button to prevent the shutter button half-press from doing auto-focus and we have all the advantages of back-button AF in an instant at any time - no need to change mode in the menu.

06-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
More pixels are always better (all else being equal). The 'higher noise' argument applies to individual pixels but not to whole images. Please see the DxOMark article "Contrary to conventional wisdom, higher resolution actually compensates for noise".
Thanks for the correction. I am trying to get my head around this and failing.
06-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #96

Hello, everyone! I currently use Canon gear (an old 10D) but am planning to upgrade soon - to a 7D or to a K-5. I have an ME and an ME Super and a number of prime lenses. Not long ago I was going through my old camera box and pulled out my ME Super and wondered why no one (to my knowledge at the time) made a digital camera as small and solid as the ME Super. Well, it looks like the K-5 is it. I've been impressed with the reviews and sample images I've seen from that camera.

However, there is one thing I didn't see mentioned in the K-5/7D comparison. The 7D can trigger several groups of off camera flashes. Can the K-5 trigger off camera flashes without buying transmitters/receivers? I sometimes shoot products and portraits, and being able to get the flash off the camera is something I've long wanted to do (The 10D won't do it).

Thanks!
06-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philwinter Quote
Can the K-5 trigger off camera flashes without buying transmitters/receivers?
The K10D, K20D, K-7, K-x, K-r and K-5 can all do this using the on-board flash in wireless flash mode. Or using a hotshoe flash. Multiple flash units work too: in any combination of the AF360 and AF540.

Regardless, wireless triggers will have their advantages, not least of which is the extended range and the utility with third-party flash units.

That said, Metz units like the 44, 48 and 50 work fine as slaves in the Pentax system, since they have the optical sensor. The Metz 58 can even be a controller.

Last edited by rparmar; 06-02-2011 at 04:46 PM.
06-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #98
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philwinter Quote
Hello, everyone! I currently use Canon gear (an old 10D) but am planning to upgrade soon - to a 7D or to a K-5. I have an ME and an ME Super and a number of prime lenses. Not long ago I was going through my old camera box and pulled out my ME Super and wondered why no one (to my knowledge at the time) made a digital camera as small and solid as the ME Super. Well, it looks like the K-5 is it. I've been impressed with the reviews and sample images I've seen from that camera.

However, there is one thing I didn't see mentioned in the K-5/7D comparison. The 7D can trigger several groups of off camera flashes. Can the K-5 trigger off camera flashes without buying transmitters/receivers? I sometimes shoot products and portraits, and being able to get the flash off the camera is something I've long wanted to do (The 10D won't do it).

Thanks!
Yup, Pentax flashes have a very nice wireless mode which will make multi-flash setups a breeze Also, all of your old prime lenses will remain compatible with your new Pentax.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-03-2011, 03:12 AM   #99
Pentaxian

wireless p-ttl yes, works with legacy lenses yes, but doesn't one need to have at least A lens setting to use P-ttl? More so wireless?
06-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
wireless p-ttl yes, works with legacy lenses yes, but doesn't one need to have at least A lens setting to use P-ttl? More so wireless?
If you are using manual gear and not setting your flashes manually you are sacrificing a great deal of control. RF triggers are the solution, for any camera brand.
06-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #101

If you buy the Pentax and Pentax flash guns you will not need triggers when you have your 'A' lenses. There is one limitation, the Pentax systen is light controlled not radio, so the Flashgun needs to see the camera. If you hide it behind a tree for effect, it may not trigger from the camera. I have yet to try this out, so I am not too sure how sensitive it is. However, if you needed to invest in radio triggers, you have both options with the K-5. Only one with the 7D.
06-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Monobod Quote
However, if you needed to invest in radio triggers, you have both options with the K-5. Only one with the 7D.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here? You mean that the 7D has only one option for wireless trigger?

The 7D can trigger speedlights wirelessly via onboard flash or via radio triggers.
06-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #103
Veteran Member

Another issue with light trigger is if you are operating in a space with other shooters... you will trigger each other's flashes. This happened to me last week and I didn't realise at first. Though I did wonder why my shots were coming out over-exposed.
06-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Another issue with light trigger is if you are operating in a space with other shooters... you will trigger each other's flashes. This happened to me last week and I didn't realise at first. Though I did wonder why my shots were coming out over-exposed.
If you have one area of your scene that needs more lighting, you can throw in an light triggered manual flash next to a radio triggered flash for extra power or a new direction. The Yongnuo 560 and 460II flashes have an M mode for radio triggers or onboard use, and S1 and S2 modes for optical triggering. These flashes also have swivel heads so its easier to orient the sensor location to adjacent radio trigger flashes. Not pitching Yongnuo, other manual flashes have similar capabilities, i think - but don't know.

As rparmar reported, light triggered flashes have their quirks. Natural light can overwhelm the sensor area so that they won't trigger.
06-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
Even the K-x/K-r have this.