Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #121
Veteran Member

This is an interesting thread. As a photographer who had a Canon 5D MarkII system, then the Nikon D3X, here are a few observations: The Canon(and obviously the 7D has a more modern AF system) was a terrible Focussing AF system: around 1/3 of all my shots were oof. That was for the first 9 months the camera was out, I gave up and sold the system after that as it was totally unacceptable(Canon repleced that body twice, same each time). But it sure was fast! Just not accurate. The Nikon was ungodly accurate, but after hauling 15lbs of camera and lenses it just became too much(my wife and I can share lenses now). Now the K5 is a good balance: I never use video so that I will not comment on, but it is light, quiet, has fast AF when used with an appropriate lens, and the AF is plenty accurate. Might not be the uber birding lens, but I do weddings and landscapes and historical pictures in Europe. And it has those primes without having to haul a full frame camer around.

David

08-23-2011, 03:51 AM   #122
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Interesting.

People also define a "complete" system by number of super tele's, not by "who has the smallest system with the smallest HIGH QUALITY primes?"

If a photographer were looking for a small pro build camera with a collection of superlative APS primes, then neither Nikon or Canon would have anything near a "complete" system. Heck neither Nikon or Canon has full frame up to date prime offererings...

So complete is only reletive to what parameters your measuring for.
I think Wheatfield's comment is accurate. The question each photographer needs to ask is whether they will be able to complete the system they desire with the lenses/camera bodies that a given company offers. I couldn't care less if Pentax offers a 600mm lens again, from my personal stand point and if I ever switched to Nikon it wouldn't be because they offer a 300mm f2.8 lens. Those lenses may complete a system for someone like Gary K, but they are meaningless to me and to most users, yet somehow they end up factoring in reviews.

Obviously what people want changes with each person. However, I would venture to guess that many people don't choose based on knowledge, they choose based on what "everybody else is using."
08-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Interesting.

People also define a "complete" system by number of super tele's, not by "who has the smallest system with the smallest HIGH QUALITY primes?"

If a photographer were looking for a small pro build camera with a collection of superlative APS primes, then neither Nikon or Canon would have anything near a "complete" system. Heck neither Nikon or Canon has full frame up to date prime offerings...

So complete is only relative to what parameters your measuring for.
Bingo!
08-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #124

FYI, I've just posted my (early as K5 is related) experiences so far with both cameras/systems:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/154772-stay-pentax...ml#post1625028

(didn't know of this thread, or I would have been probably posted here instead)

11-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #125
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The review has been improved and spread across multiple pages!

Canon 7D vs. Pentax K-5 - Introduction

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #126

I've added a few lines to my review as well: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/154772-stay-pentax...ml#post1625028