Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 06:02 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Because you pretty much have to use the same lens for side-by-side image comparisons, otherwise an additional variable is introduced.

The original launch price was $1699, but it seems it's gone up to $1849-1899 (the 9 was a type) due to the situation in Japan.
The price factor is really unfair. Before the disaster happened in Japan, the street price for 7d was about 1399-1450. That makes it much more 'Deal' than k5. I really dont like 7d's IQ. but it is very controversy that the k5 has higher overall score than 7d.

05-31-2011, 06:03 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Here's Canon 7D custom functions link

Canon Professional Network - The EOS 7D?s Custom Functions explained

As far as Sigma being same lens in the test, is it the exact same lens used on both K-5 and 7D ?

If one uses use an adaptall mount lens, then I can see the "same lens" comparision.

Or adapt any Pentax lens to 7D, this is do-able with aps-c Canon bodies and an PK-Eos adapter, no cutting required on Pentax lenses.

For this type of comparision, why handicap Canon with a Sigma lens ?

I'd like to see any Canon pro spec'd USM f2.8 zoom compared with the same type of Pentax made lens.

Last observation, Canon 7D did drop to $1,329 at B&H right before the Japan Tsunami.
Without the tragedy 7D would cost same or less than K-5.
People are now paying a premium for Japan made cameras, lenses, etc.
Many reviewers use sigma lenses with bodies, because it does take out the variable of the lens, particularly when testing auto focus. Say for instance if the 7D was shot using a 50 f1.8 and the Pentax with a FA 43 f1.9. Very different lenses, although you wouldn't necessarily see it on the surface.

Anyway, I think it is clear that Pentax is targeting a different user from Canon. If you want smaller, Canon doesn't have much to offer on the upper end of their camera bodies.
05-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Xiaomao Yang Quote
An exciting review! I'm very pleased that I upgraded to K5 from K-x. I just love everything about K5, can't live/leave without it. Thanks for this professional proof of K5's strengths.
As a happy user, you probably dont need any 'professional proff of k5's strengths'. The camera meets your needs the most is the best camera for you.
05-31-2011, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax camera wins comparative review on Pentax fan site. What a surprise.
Not really a useful exercise, IMO.

05-31-2011, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting read. I have owned a 7d and recently switched to a K5 for wedding photography. After shooting about 5 weddings with the K5, I can give some feedback as to some comparison between the two that were not mentioned in the comparison. These comments are based on event/wedding photography so they do not apply to everyone. First, one thing I miss from the 7d that wasn't mentioned in the comparison is the ability to memorize AF points. These points switch when the camera is in landscape or portrait mode (great for taking group shots/portraits at weddings. Just line up the AF points to focus on faces and there is no focus then recompose). Maybe Pentax can incorporate memorized AF points in an upcoming FW or camera. Second, the custom modes on both cameras differ. They both are easy to get to (The canon is a little easier being on the dial). The main difference is that with the Canon, when you set a custom setting it memorized EVERYTHING including Sutter speed and Apterture values. With the Pentax, if I set a custom menu say in aperture preferred or manual, all the settings are memorized except the base aperture/shutter settings that I originally used to set the custom setting. This is very annoying at a wedding because when I switch from one custom to the next, I have to constantly reset the Sutter/Aperture values. Thirdly, the flash systems between the two are night and day. I have had a lot of frustrating times with PTTL at weddings. So much so that I have just switched to the A mode on my Metz flashes. Mostly due to over exposure problems. I do not regret the switch back to Pentax (I started with a K10D), because one of my main reasons for switching were ergonomics and picture quality (after a day shooting with the pentax, my hand would be numb. Not with the pentax). I find the picture quality much better on the Pentax (high ISO and Dynamic Range). The AF system on the Canon is definitely more snappy/accurate than the Pentax. I have gotten better with the Pentax with technique, but I still would have better % keepers with the Canon. If anyone would like to look at the last few weddings we shot with the Pentax, they can be found at our bog and website. The blog is - Home. Our website is www.2photopros.com. The last wedding we shot with the canon was Jolene and Heron's wedding. We have a couple more weddings/engagements sessions that I am still editing. Thanks for the comparison! Great stuff.

Eric
05-31-2011, 06:23 AM   #21

It's indeed no big surprise the Pentax is the winner here on this site
During a holiday I used the 7d of a fellow-traveller a few times and it's very big indeed. I liked the large viewfinder view a lot and the fast informative AF (I have a K-x) is great. But at home looking at all the pics from the 7d I was kind of disappointed, lot's of noise in all the skies. Even at the lowest ISO. Maybe there was something wrong with the camera, I don't know.
05-31-2011, 06:24 AM   #22
Pentaxian

It would have been interesting to see a comparison of the AF systems in low light. We know that -- despite the firmware upgrade -- the K-5 can struggle in particular scenarios.

BTW, the 7D's AF performance is highly regarded, even in Canon circles who have been spoiled by quick and accurate AF for years. The K-5, on the other hand, just started to catch up with the performance other brands had for years. To write the "7D has a slight edge" is quite an understatement. And "Large AF improvement over previous models" is a plus for the K-5 in comparison to the 7D? In a K-5 vs 7D comparison it should not matter how much of an improvement the K-5 represents over earlier Pentax DSLRs.

Lucky K-5 didn't have to compete in a flash exposure contest either (that bug still awaits a fix). BTW, the 7D has a sync speed of 1/250 while the K-5 only has 1/180. Would have been worth mentioning, AFAIC, as this is important to some shooters.

I agree with others that it is not helpful to use the artificial price increase for the 7D against it.

The K-5 is a fantastic camera and just the right choice for many shooters. I don't see why it was necessary to help it get a better score.

For other shooters, the 7D will be a much better choice, independently what an overall score value -- no matter who awards it -- says.

Last edited by Class A; 05-31-2011 at 06:38 AM.
05-31-2011, 06:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Based on my impression of the attitude of Sigma SLR system fans, I'm guessing that if this was a Sigma fan site, the Sigma SLR would get trashed.
05-31-2011, 06:31 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote

PENTAX CAMERA simply put trash away canon 7d at what most count, Image quality, and the IQ of k5 is even better than 5d2 especially at low iso, losing just at very hiogh sensitivities.
canon inm my opinion, is simply far in sensor technology in every field....full fram, apsc, all the sensor produced by canon are far behind for dynamic range color depth, smoothness transiction higlight midtones shadow....they have still the best af, but competition is better now.
05-31-2011, 06:34 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It would have been interesting to see a comparison of the AF systems in low light. We know that -- despite the firmware upgrade -- the K-5 can struggle in particular scenarios.

BTW, the 7D's AF performance is highly regarded, even in Canon circles who have been spoiled by quick and accurate AF for years. The K-5, on the other hand, just started to catch up with the performance other brands had for years. To write the "7D has a slight edge" is quite an understatement.

Lucky K-5 didn't have to compete in a flash exposure contest either (that bug still awaits a fix). BTW, the 7D has a sync speed of 1/250 while the K-5 only has 1/180. Would have been worth mentioning, AFAIC, as this is important to some shooters.

I agree with others that it is not helpful to use the artificial price increase for the 7D against it.

The K-5 is a fantastic camera and just the right choice for many shooters. I don't see why it was necessary to help it get a better score.

For other shooters, the 7D will be a much better choice, independently what an overall score value -- no matter who awards it -- says.

personally i use metz and pentax flash, both indoor and outdoor , and i have never seen overeposurte problems or all the problems i read here. the flash overexposse, well put ev -1 and shoot raw.
05-31-2011, 06:37 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by efkelly Quote
Interesting read. I have owned a 7d and recently switched to a K5 for wedding photography. After shooting about 5 weddings with the K5, I can give some feedback as to some comparison between the two that were not mentioned in the comparison. These comments are based on event/wedding photography so they do not apply to everyone. First, one thing I miss from the 7d that wasn't mentioned in the comparison is the ability to memorize AF points. These points switch when the camera is in landscape or portrait mode (great for taking group shots/portraits at weddings. Just line up the AF points to focus on faces and there is no focus then recompose). Maybe Pentax can incorporate memorized AF points in an upcoming FW or camera. Second, the custom modes on both cameras differ. They both are easy to get to (The canon is a little easier being on the dial). The main difference is that with the Canon, when you set a custom setting it memorized EVERYTHING including Sutter speed and Apterture values. With the Pentax, if I set a custom menu say in aperture preferred or manual, all the settings are memorized except the base aperture/shutter settings that I originally used to set the custom setting. This is very annoying at a wedding because when I switch from one custom to the next, I have to constantly reset the Sutter/Aperture values. Thirdly, the flash systems between the two are night and day. I have had a lot of frustrating times with PTTL at weddings. So much so that I have just switched to the A mode on my Metz flashes. Mostly due to over exposure problems. I do not regret the switch back to Pentax (I started with a K10D), because one of my main reasons for switching were ergonomics and picture quality (after a day shooting with the pentax, my hand would be numb. Not with the pentax). I find the picture quality much better on the Pentax (high ISO and Dynamic Range). The AF system on the Canon is definitely more snappy/accurate than the Pentax. I have gotten better with the Pentax with technique, but I still would have better % keepers with the Canon. If anyone would like to look at the last few weddings we shot with the Pentax, they can be found at our bog and website. The blog is - Home. Our website is www.2photopros.com. The last wedding we shot with the canon was Jolene and Heron's wedding. We have a couple more weddings/engagements sessions that I am still editing. Thanks for the comparison! Great stuff.

Eric
personally if i shoot wedding at the moment, i would use a nikon, for better af better sensor at high sensitivies, full frame and wide angle 1,4 lens availabe, but im sure you can shoot wedding with pentax , as i shoot pj with pentax and everybody tell me it's impossible, but i dont believe it. In my opinion pentax force you to be more concentrated, nikon and canon are far more automatic camera, for fast shooting.
05-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Menno Quote
It's indeed no big surprise the Pentax is the winner here on this site
During a holiday I used the 7d of a fellow-traveller a few times and it's very big indeed. I liked the large viewfinder view a lot and the fast informative AF (I have a K-x) is great. But at home looking at all the pics from the 7d I was kind of disappointed, lot's of noise in all the skies. Even at the lowest ISO. Maybe there was something wrong with the camera, I don't know.

personally i don't like at all iq of canon. in my opinion they are responsible for all those garage kind of photo u see in the web, flashy tones, plastic skin tones, warm cast, orange kind of red, and poor skin tones. i like neutral color, prefer colder than warmer, neutral saturated color, canon cannot deliver this.
05-31-2011, 06:42 AM   #28

I've had two 7Ds...neither of them was sharp and they were returned. The K-5 has provided me with nothing but pleasure...great camera, and excellent lenses to boot.

Roy Benson

Last edited by benroy; 05-31-2011 at 06:43 AM. Reason: correct typos
05-31-2011, 06:46 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
personally i use metz and pentax flash, both indoor and outdoor , and i have never seen overeposurte problems or all the problems i read here.
Good for you, but the issue still exists and some even reported "Pentax Japan knows of the phenomenon and is investigating it. ".

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
the flash overexposse, well put ev -1 and shoot raw.
This is a workaround that shouldn't be necessary and can lead to suboptimal results. Changing the angle of the flash will require a new exposure compensation (unless you want to throw a stop of exposure away).
05-31-2011, 07:32 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I have used 7D and it is superior camera, although a bit too heavy for my taste. The 60D is that what i want, however no doubt, k5 still rocks