Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anth.M Quote
...At the end of the day, it always come down to how does the camera feel in your hand.
Really, it comes down to IQ and how does the camera feel in your hands.
Please make up your mind.
And you are incorrect, if that is all it comes down to I would still own a K-7. I don't.

05-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I never tried 7D but did tried 60D and was impressed with AF, it's way superior compared to my k-x. However, I will any day prefer to carry k-x, 60D felt too big in my hands.
you must have tiny hands . The 60D on the Canon forums is often made fun of because of it's lack of beefiness compared to the 50D.
05-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Feel like this review is highly biased towards the Pentax K-5... is it just me? Cause the 7D is no slouch in ergonomics and it definitely feels thought out and not clunky like the review suggests.

Last edited by GLXLR; 05-31-2011 at 03:56 PM.
05-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #49
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by efkelly Quote
If you look at my post here (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/136720-k-5-bounce-flash-...onse-metz.html) you will see where the problem exits with controlled settings that you can reproduce. If you occasionally use PTTl or use the "P" mode all the time you may not notice problems. I don't know. I usually only shoot in Manual or Aperture preferred modes. What mode where you shooting this picture with? Did you have any flash compensation on? I have had 4 K-5 bodies with all the same problem. I have shot 5 weddings and 1 engagement session all with PTTL over exposure problems.
i read your post and replicate your test...a white cup on a white board, if any the camera plus 48 af1 and then 58 af1 , underexposed a bit up to 800 and improve a 1/3 of stop between 800 to 6400...but considering the white reflective surface i expected this behaviour, pttl works as any camera metering, render everything gray, so u need to put out a + 1 or 2...that's normality, the camera show no difference even using wireless.
in my opinion pttl is not so bad as many described, especially using metz 58.
i bouht a 540 used but couldnt test due to an accident that broke my flash in cannes. tomorrow i think ill buy a 360 for 120 euro in a shop, to good price to let go.

05-31-2011, 03:46 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
actually they have it..is the 645d, bigger and far far better than any 35 mm in the market...
Although true, the 645D has a far bigger sensor than anything Nikon or Canon has put forth, it has a lot of differences and it can't be considered comparable to full frame cameras from those companies.
1. The camera, although has great image quality, does not compare to the high ISO capabilities of the D3s/ Mark IVs, even the D3X and Mark III.
2. The camera so far has two lenses available. Although someone might argue there are a ton of legacy lenses available, not many people are looking to have a large amount of their lens collection be legacy lenses (screw mount AF or some without AF).
3. Much heavier than full frame, and one of the reasons many of us shoot Pentax is specifically for it's lighter bodies. True, it is the nature of Medium format to be heavier (and the Pentax is excellent in this regard) but since we are comparing to full frame I have to include this.

Although personally never shooting one before, I feel as if the 645D is a niche camera and not a camera targeted at the full frame competition between Nikon and Canon (and now Sony).
05-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #51
Veteran Member

i read your post and replicate your test...a white cup on a white board, if any the camera plus 48 af1 and then 58 af1 , underexposed a bit up to 800 and improve a 1/3 of stop between 800 to 6400...but considering the white reflective surface i expected this behaviour, pttl works as any camera metering, render everything gray, so u need to put out a + 1 or 2...that's normality, the camera show no difference even using wireless.
i bouht a 540 used but couldnt test due to an accident that broke my flash in cannes. tomorrow i think ill buy a 360 for 120 euro in a shop, to good price to let go.
But what mode were you shooting in? In any of the semi-auto modes the flash will act as fill, what's critical is how the flash behaves when the camera is in manual mode and the flash in pTTL.
05-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #52
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
But what mode were you shooting in? In any of the semi-auto modes the flash will act as fill, what's critical is how the flash behaves when the camera is in manual mode and the flash in pTTL.
well i was in aperture but i have check.

i have tried tonight the same exercise of the other user, using both aperture, xsync, manual mode, direct and bounced, wireless flash with on board or other flash as commander, and i have experienced alwyas the same behaviour, the flash underexposed a bit with bright object as i expect from any metering system, camera or flash.
in addition even outside especially at night or with low light, i like to drag the speed to create moton effect, so i use always manual or most of the time. and i have never experienced bad exposure.

05-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #53
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Check your settins

Dido about the camera settings. Make sure you are in manual mode and the parameters are set up the same. I have tested 4 K-5's all with the same result. If you could post your samples I would appreciate it.

Eric

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
05-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barrypendergast Quote
I love my K5 (had a +Dist and K10 before) but not impressed by the amount of video it will shoot at one time even when there is plenty of space on the card. Am I doing something wrong?
You are probably just hitting the 4GB file size limit for the FAT 32 file system. Check whether you reach the published maximum recording times (e.g., as specified in the manual). If so, it is just a limitation of the storage format used.

I don't think anyone has described the K-5 P-TTL to be useless. Having said that, a number of people wished they had true TTL and note that while Metz flashes are great and work well with the K-5 (mostly), Metz has looked into the K-5 flash overexposure (not underexposure) problem, confirmed it, and said that the issue is with the camera, not their flashes.

It may not be a biggie to you, but the problem nevertheless still awaits a fix.
05-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #55
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by efkelly Quote
Dido about the camera settings. Make sure you are in manual mode and the parameters are set up the same. I have tested 4 K-5's all with the same result. If you could post your samples I would appreciate it.

Eric

hi

i tried manual mode and my flash actually underexposed , but probably due to the white kitchen, up to iso 800 exposure is pretty similar, underexposed, then increasing the iso the exposure increase a 1/3 of stop with every iso, it seems to me pretty constant.
i always use manual and flash to pttl but especially outdoor shooting raw i have neverhad any problems.
there are tons of flash setting or exposure program you can use in every situation, knowing the behavoour of a flash is important, you can simply adj exposure when you know a particular situation create those situation. i mean you know bouncing create this effect using manual , fix it with a -1 ev, shoot raw and stay in the latitude of the pentax k5.
05-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #56
Forum Member

That has not been my experience at all. You made a great point. Know the behavior of the flash. That is my problem. My experience so far (5 weddings, 1 engagement session, 2 K-5's, 1 Kr) has been that the behavior is erratic at best. On one occasion it is ok. The next and more often, it is overexposed (grossly). During a wedding, I need predictable results with common situations. I don't have the luxury of having -1.5 EV at one instance and then having to compensate to +1.5 the next. I always shoot manual RAW and there is a definite problem. I have been through 4 bodies with all the same results. I have asked others to reproduce my tests and post the results. So far no takers. Could you please post these "tests" you have done? I would love to see them with your settings. Are your ceilings tall or about the average height (8ft). How close are you to your subject? Do you keep the aperture and shutter constant while raising the ISO with PTTL in M mode? Thanks

Eric

hi

i tried manual mode and my flash actually underexposed , but probably due to the white kitchen, up to iso 800 exposure is pretty similar, underexposed, then increasing the iso the exposure increase a 1/3 of stop with every iso, it seems to me pretty constant.
i always use manual and flash to pttl but especially outdoor shooting raw i have neverhad any problems.
there are tons of flash setting or exposure program you can use in every situation, knowing the behavoour of a flash is important, you can simply adj exposure when you know a particular situation create those situation. i mean you know bouncing create this effect using manual , fix it with a -1 ev, shoot raw and stay in the latitude of the pentax k5.
05-31-2011, 06:27 PM - 2 Likes   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Pentax camera wins comparative review on Pentax fan site. What a surprise.
Not really a useful exercise, IMO.
I agree, Ive read many a posts about pentax users complaining about a canon reviews winning on a canon site, or that a reviewer gets paid by canon/nikon etc and this is no different. This wasnt even close to an unbiased or even helpful review.

This would have been a better post had he just said "here is what I like about the k5" and been done with it.

That review was like reviewing a Buell Sport Bike to a ANY one of the 4 major Japanese Sport Bikes and driving them both to the end of your driveway and saying the Buell is better than the others because its better ergonomics, lighter weight and can get to the end of your driveway only slightly slower. There is a REASON you didnt see Buell competing on the track with any of them (they tried) and a REASON you dont many K5's on a Pro Sports field being used by professional photographers.

Ive owned 4 cameras, the Pentax A3000, k20, k5 and NOW a 7d. I loved the K5 it was great for what it did and it only took me a day or two to get used to the 7d. Ive got to say the 7d for what I do is amazing! There are some great features that were not even mentioned, probably because the k5 doesnt have them and that would make the edge go to the 7d.

If you want to take portraits, the k5 is plenty of camera no doubt. But if you want to compare them overall 7d is the better choice.

Its also nice to do a burst of pics and not have to wait for the buffer to empty to the card. I guess that because the writes the the CF card are faster in the 7d then the write speed to the SD card in the K5, but since there wasnt a comparison in the review, Im not sure who gets the "edge".

If your going to do a review, review ALL that both cameras can do and in different scenarios, not just take a couple pictures of a fence and call game.
05-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Well, the overall score for 7d at dpreview is 84, for k-5 is 83. so not much difference.......well, this comparsion is too simple though....
05-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
Well, the overall score for 7d at dpreview is 84, for k-5 is 83. so not much difference.......well, this comparsion is too simple though....
Ya and thats why I hesitated to change, I didnt think it would make sense to switch when they were reviewed so close, but when I did and saw ALL that the 7d (and other canons ie 1dmiii and up) can do, its not as close as it seems, I wish now I had done it sooner.
05-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #60
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Metz has looked into the K-5 flash overexposure (not underexposure) problem, confirmed it, and said that the issue is with the camera, not their flashes
Of course they will say that!
Pentax too has looked at their K-5s and 'have not seen any trend of P-TTL exposure problems' so far...