Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #1

shake reduction and tripod

I always thought shake reduction should be off when using a tripod. If that is so, if I use composition adjustment with the shake reduction on, do I need to shut of shake reduction before I take the shot? Thanks.

05-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What focal length are you doing this at? What are you shooting? If you're using the tripod as a stable base for birds in flight or sports, then I would leave shake reduction on (personally). If its long exposure, or wide angle landscape photography I would turn it off.
07-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Forum Member

I forgot about the shake reduction and left it on during my fireworks shots (5-10 sec. tripod exposures). I think the K-5 automatically disables the SR for long exposures like this because the pictures turn out fine (unlike with the K10D, which will blur pictures due to SR oscillations if you do this).

- Phil

Edit: I did some testing. The SR was disabled because I was using a remote-control for the shutter release. It turns out that the SR is disabled in both self-timer and remote drive modes.

Last edited by boardhead; 07-05-2011 at 04:11 AM.
07-18-2011, 12:03 AM   #4

I don't think leaving SR on while shooting off a tripod would do any harm, unless your panning.

If you were panning, you would drive the SR nuts so to speak, trying to compensate for your intentional movement.

07-18-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The Pentax users manuals(K200,20,5 etc) have all been consistent with regards to SR and tripod use and so I'm thinking there is a legitimate reason behind it.

If I had to guess, I'd say the SR system doesn't cope with the body being fixed. However, I also think it automatically turns off with a remote or the 2s timer function.

Having said that, it would be really cool if someone did some tests on this.
07-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
If I had to guess, I'd say the SR system doesn't cope with the body being fixed. However, I also think it automatically turns off with a remote or the 2s timer function.
Yes - it starts to overcompensate. Turning SR on using a tripod and LiveView you can hear it getting increasingly 'noisy' as it hunts about.

The 2s timer does disable it as well on a K20D at least.

Just picked up a Sigma with HSM and OS - it also advises to disable the OS when on a tripod - again because it can overcompensate when fixed leading to softer images than otherwise you would get...
07-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I'm glad this was brought up again. What about SR on, while on tripod, and you only shoot manual?

The reason I ask is because having a Samyang 100-500mm lens, though an "A" series lens, to get focal length in my K-x, I have to have shake reduction on to input focal length.
07-18-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The entry of the Focal Length is, AFAIK, only used for the SR system - so I would suggest like all situations on a tripod, SR off... in which case, you dont need to enter the focal length...

07-18-2011, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Enter focal length as usual and then shut SR off, the focal length will be recorded properly in the exif data.
07-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
The entry of the Focal Length is, AFAIK, only used for the SR system - so I would suggest like all situations on a tripod, SR off... in which case, you dont need to enter the focal length..
Actually, I've never known or noticed what happens if you don't set focal length on a manual lens. So not sure about your last comment about needing to set it or not.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Enter focal length as usual and then shut SR off, the focal length will be recorded properly in the exif data.
Gimbal, thanks. This is what I have done, but asked the question to make sure it was okay to do that. And your statement makes sense. Thank you.