Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2011, 02:05 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
That DP6 has a function to use full screen with video recording, at least that is a function working with Canon 5D-II and I wonder if that still works with K-5. So they have no black bars, not top/bottom and not to the sides. Just full screen use. But I remember that there was also a firmware change for the camera's to do that.

06-03-2011, 02:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Does it come with a dry ice machine to keep the K5 cool as it can't do much more then a few minutes of video before over heating
Don't need a dry ice machine. As other have already said, the onboard monitor is automatically switched off when you use an HDMI field monitor. So actually the cam doesn't heat up or nor will the battery run out. So LiveView use is measured in hours rather than minutes with the only limitation being whether you have a spare battery charged up for the field monitor.
06-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

With the normal use of LiveView does the heat issue originate from extended use of the sensor (ie the sensor heating up) or extended use of the rear display (ie the display heating up)? Or both?
06-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Just judging by the fact that these smallHD monitors get very very hot during extended use, seems to me that the monitor on the back of the cam is probably the likelier culprit? I'll test it, I can pull off temp. data in EXIF and compare temp with and without field monitor.

06-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Don't need a dry ice machine. As other have already said, the onboard monitor is automatically switched off when you use an HDMI field monitor. So actually the cam doesn't heat up or nor will the battery run out. So LiveView use is measured in hours rather than minutes with the only limitation being whether you have a spare battery charged up for the field monitor.
This is not true. The camera even heats up when you just use it as a player and view pictures/movie on the external screen. When using moviemode, the camera does heat up. Also energy consumed with HDMI is hi, since it doesn't walk on it's own to the external screen.
06-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #21

Original Poster
Since I do not shoot movies but stills, this heating is not an big issue. I will use this "live view external set up" only short periods, max five to ten minutes or so.

According my tests, camera power consumption was lower when using external view. My K-5 drains its batteries quite quicly when using live view and shooting. This didnt happen when I tested this set up using my desktop screen. Battery gauge showed full battery all the test period. With internal screen, it normally drops very quickly.
06-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Harold, this external LCD sounds like a great idea, with many possible uses. Please let us know how well it works out!

06-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
A clarification, please. When using off-camera HDMI, is the signal diverted away from the LV screen to the external screen or is it merely duplicated on both? If the signal is diverted away from the LV screen, the heat sensor should not be sensing any increase in temperature to shut down the LV.
Why do you say that? Isn't the heat due to the recording and not the LCD being on?
06-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you use LV in place of the viewfinder you will before too long see a "red thermometer icon "...I figure it's time to give it a short break.
06-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
good for movie maker....
I know sony made one for their own DSLR. but I think that is compartiable for all dslr that have HDMI
06-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
good for movie maker....
I know sony made one for their own DSLR. but I think that is compartiable for all dslr that have HDMI
and no-one can buy it up to today.
06-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
and no-one can buy it up to today.
what that menas?
I know people can buy it at b&h or amazon.
search Sony CLM-V55 Portable Monitor
06-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
what that menas?
I know people can buy it at b&h or amazon.
search Sony CLM-V55 Portable Monitor
overhere in the Netherlands at the time this item is not for sale.
06-07-2011, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #29

Original Poster
Screen has arrived. First impressions without real use in the forest:
- bigger than expected, especially with battery
- "cheap" feeling, plastic quality mostly, but that was expected because of the cheap price
- Picture quality ok after contrast, brigthness and saturation was set much lower level than factory settings were

Because of the size of this combination, it would have been a good idea to check the 5" version first....

I bought an 70 cm HDMi cable and wrapped it together with an remote control. In the picture is the creen and the remote control and the combined cable.

Let see how this handles in real work.....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
06-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
- bigger than expected, especially with battery

Let see how this handles in real work.....
That why I choose my screen, more expensive but in the back there is a built-in battery.

I wonder how it works.