Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax K-5 and external HDMI LCD screen

Hello all

I am not sure if we are aware that we can use external LCD screen for shooting with K-5.

Manual doesn't discuss anything about this, the only closely related chapter speaks only about connecting K-5 to AV-system.

But it is possible to connect an HDMI screen to K-5 and see the very same information you can see from back LCD screen.

I tested this with HDMI cable having mini-HDMI coupling for camera and normal HDMI coupling for monitor, and by pressing the LV button all the back LCD information appeared to the big LCD screen.

After verifying this functionality I ordered a mini 7" LCd screen from

LILLIPUT 619AH Small 7'' HD Monitor, LILLIPUT 619AH On-Camera HD Monitor : COOLLCD.com

Courier company official called me yesterday that this LCD will arrive within few days. Lets see if this gadget helps me in the problems of taking very low level pictures.

06-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Harald for the information. Please keep us updated with your experiences using the new monitor.
06-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
Hello all

I am not sure if we are aware that we can use external LCD screen for shooting with K-5.

Manual doesn't discuss anything about this, the only closely related chapter speaks only about connecting K-5 to AV-system.

But it is possible to connect an HDMI screen to K-5 and see the very same information you can see from back LCD screen.

I tested this with HDMI cable having mini-HDMI coupling for camera and normal HDMI coupling for monitor, and by pressing the LV button all the back LCD information appeared to the big LCD screen.

After verifying this functionality I ordered a mini 7" LCd screen from

LILLIPUT 619AH Small 7'' HD Monitor, LILLIPUT 619AH On-Camera HD Monitor : COOLLCD.com

Courier company official called me yesterday that this LCD will arrive within few days. Lets see if this gadget helps me in the problems of taking very low level pictures.
Hmmm. I'm thinking more of the possibility of making critical focusing easier with LV. The area of this screen would be over 4 times that of the built-in monitor. I would be interested in hearing from you about how well the resolution holds up when LV is magnified several times. Will you report back?
06-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've often used the HDMI jack to connect K7 to my LCD computer monitor. It displays what would otherwise be seen on the cameras rear LCD. I use it to review photos only, as it is not very portable. 5-7" screen would be very handy though.

06-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I recall seeing a demo video with a similar setup. According to the guy who produced it, the live image on the external LCD is pretty useful with one downside. Because the K-5 displays the shooting information separate bars at the bottom and top of the screen, the aspect ratio of the image in video mode is somewhat squashed as compared to how it would actually render under playback conditions.

Ah, here is the video I was thinking of:

YouTube - ‪Pentax K-5 HDMI-output to a Field Monitor‬‏
Nice! 1 point for you!
06-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Hmmm. I'm thinking more of the possibility of making critical focusing easier with LV. The area of this screen would be over 4 times that of the built-in monitor. I would be interested in hearing from you about how well the resolution holds up when LV is magnified several times. Will you report back?

Yes I will. I expect to get the screen tomorrow. Today was national holiday, so no deliveries.
06-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Nice to see my video back again.

One solution is to set filedmonitor to 4:3 ratio and having black bars to the right and left of the screen in movie recording mode. You will end up having a 5,6" monitor field.

Those Lilliputters are nice I think.

06-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Nice to see my video back again.

One solution is to set filedmonitor to 4:3 ratio and having black bars to the right and left of the screen in movie recording mode. You will end up having a 5,6" monitor field.

Those Lilliputters are nice I think.
Is that you in the video?

I personally don't care about the video aspect. I've literally never had any of my video-capable DSLRs in video mode! I don't even know if mine work.
06-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Is that you in the video?
yes it is and somehow it's my best one on my youtube channel in amount off views.
06-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

We should compare notes. I've got a smallHD DP6 arriving tomorrow or Monday.
06-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
We should compare notes. I've got a smallHD DP6 arriving tomorrow or Monday.
I'm curious about that, since it is an expensive but very promising tool.
06-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it come with a dry ice machine to keep the K5 cool as it can't do much more then a few minutes of video before over heating
06-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A clarification, please. When using off-camera HDMI, is the signal diverted away from the LV screen to the external screen or is it merely duplicated on both? If the signal is diverted away from the LV screen, the heat sensor should not be sensing any increase in temperature to shut down the LV.
06-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
When using off-camera HDMI, is the signal diverted away from the LV screen to the external screen
Yes it is. The rear LV screen is disabled. At least according to the manual. That is also visible in RonHendriks1966 video.
06-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
is the signal diverted away from the LV screen
It is on the K7.