Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K5 serial data base

I just went to enter my replacement k5 serial number in the data base only to find that it is already listed there and with stains.I was told it was a new camera useing old serial numbers. I now find this hard to believe since they both come from Melbourne serial No 3842381. Do they replace sensors and serial No in Melbourne I douht it. I hate being lied to I am not happy as this does not give me confidence in Cr Kennedy

06-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you checked it for stains?
06-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I phoned C.R. kennedy and spoke to Clem kennedy who assured me that it is a new camera and they are reusing serial numbers. I have had look for stains none so far but the first one did not show stains till the sensor was heated up by running 30 mins or more. Over the next few weeks I will try some more video and recheck then.
06-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's the point of serial numbers if they're not unique? Something sounds fishy here.

06-02-2011, 04:12 AM   #5

Serial numbers for manufactured products are supposed to be unique because in most countries it is illegal to sell a refurbished/re-manufactured product as new. The serial number provides the traceability to the place it was manufactured and provides a way to track ownership. No reputable manufacturer reuses serial numbers. It's illegal and not in the best interest of the manufacturer.

In the USA if your camera is serviced by a manufacturer under their warranty they are allowed to replace, at their discretion, with a refurbished camera and they do state this in their warranty terms. Weather you get a new or refurbished replacement has more to do with whats available at any specific time in the service center replacement stock.

If you return a camera to retailer under their refund/replace policies and you choose replace then you should expect new "not refurbished".

In real life, in the marketplace, we know the rules are not always followed ---"by manufactures and/or retailers".

Last edited by jcp5; 06-10-2011 at 06:39 AM.
06-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely not a kosher practice to use identical sernums on more than one copy of a specific product. Something that would be interesting to know is the "manufactured" date...

Mike
06-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Osama Binhidin Quote
I just went to enter my replacement k5 serial number in the data base only to find that it is already listed there and with stains.I was told it was a new camera useing old serial numbers. I now find this hard to believe since they both come from Melbourne serial No 3842381. Do they replace sensors and serial No in Melbourne I douht it. I hate being lied to I am not happy as this does not give me confidence in Cr Kennedy
What is the purpose of a Serial Number? Large expensive items, such as cars and houses, all have, in effect "serial numbers" to convey ownership to the customer.

Police departments commonly trace stolen property back to owners by serial numbers. as do insurance companies, etc. smaller inexpensive items are still tracked and recalled by "lot numbers".

No reputable manufacturer is going to reuse S/N to save money, i.e. it costs no money to assign a new one (this is just me trying to figure this out and talking out loud) If Melbourne received a lot of brand new Pentax bodies to replace "stained" ones, why wouldn't they just come with new S/Ns? (of course they would)

The only way this makes sense is if some repair shop in Melbourne was authorized to refurbish to make new, some of these stained cameras, e.g. a camera comes in and is reported stained, but its really a common dust particle and is easily removed. someone cleans the sensor with a puff of area and its resold. (This may not even be Pentax's problem, just something invented in a local store)

I would go back to your retailer and demand a written signed statement from the company explaining the circumstances. Tell them this camera could even be stolen property and you need the signed statement before you would even consider keeping it. Tell them your next stop is the local police station if they fail to provide the statement.(that should get you some action) I wouldn't rely on some half-assed verbal statement from a retail clerk, however well intentioned.

(if i had to place a bet on this mystery, I would bet this is a refurbished/remanufactured camera - please let us know what you find out)

Last edited by philbaum; 06-02-2011 at 10:22 AM.
06-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
how do i find the manufacture build date
06-03-2011, 02:46 AM   #9

Download "PhotoME" S/W. It's free.

Weather the camera is new or refurbished I would suggest you test your camera to confirm that is stain free an has no other problems. Take enough pictures inside and out and see if you are happy with the results. Test with external flash if you have one. Satisfy yourself that you have a good copy of the K5 that you are pleased with. If all goes well and you are happy with the results the new/refurbished question becomes a secondary concern.

For mass produced electronic products we are down to being happy with getting a good copy of any product any hoping it has a long life. It's just the way it is regardless of the manufacturer.

Last edited by jcp5; 06-10-2011 at 06:44 AM.
06-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
The manufactured date of my replacement camera is 14th feb 2011 using photo me soft ware. the first one with this serial number was nov 2010. thanks for the help in establishing this
06-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
My original camera, which died after I used it on a rainy day, was replaced with another that also had an external s/n that was listed on the data base as returned for a bad sensor and "no sound", s/n 3876571. However, the mfg date on this is now 2/7/11, with an internal s/n of 44572. The sensor seems clean, and I don't notice any problem with the sound. So, C.R.I.S. in the USA is obviously reusing returned camera external bodies and replacing the internal mechanisms with new guts. I don't mind, as long as everything is functioning, and the "old" body shell is like new. I called Pentax Service about this, by the way, and the guy who answered the phone had no idea what I was talking about. He said he would have his supervisor call me back. No one ever did.
06-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
the mfg date 2/7/11. thats next months date?
06-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Probably using American-style dates. 2/7 is February 7th over here.
06-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
Feb 7 2011.

And what Kiwibird mentioned about reusing external bodies with new internal mechanisms is right. My K-5 went back to Pentax with stains, and I received back the same body (same serial#), but the manufacture date had been updated from October 2010 to January 2011, the shutter count was back to zero, and the internal serial number was changed. It's been stain-free for over 4 months now, despite frequent LV and video.