Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2011, 04:59 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
anything over about a minute will probably be too much
that figure depends on the lens you use,with the DA15mm f/4 limited you can leave the shutter open for 44.4 seconds before star trails will become obvious - with the tracking ability that time could be extended as far as 5 Mins.

06-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's a really neat idea, however the maximum travel of the sensor will limit, to some extend, the exposure time. anything over about a minute will probably be too much. Still, that's pretty neat!
The press release states up to 5 minutes.
06-02-2011, 05:09 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Pentax to announce a new GPS unit for DSLR cameras (O-GPS1) | Photo Rumors
and
Re: Pentax adds GPS unit with Astrotracer: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

OK, at first glance it looks like your standard GPS unit.

BUT:
Astrotracer for astrophotography
The O-GPS1offers the advanced PENTAX original Astrotracer function,* which works with the PENTAX Shake Reduction (SR) system on select cameras for tracking and photographing celestial bodies. The unit calculates the movement of stars, planets, and other bodies using the latitude obtained from GPS data and the camera’s alignment data (horizontal and vertical inclinations and aspect) obtained from its magnetic and acceleration sensors. Then, the unit shifts the camera’s image sensor in synchronization with the movement of the object(s). As a result, stars and other bodies are captured as solid points rather than blurry streaks, even during extended exposures. The unit also simplifies astrophotography by requiring only a tripod and eliminating the need for additional accessories such as an equatorial telescope.
  • This function is available only when the O-GPS1 is mounted on a PENTAX digital SLR camera body equipped with a magnet-driven SR system.
The duration of Astrotracer operation may vary depending on photographic conditions.

SO COOL
Holy macaroni! I'm totally with you, that's awesome!

What a fantastic idea that plays to the camera's strengths! Bravo Pentax!

I may get one of these, even though I've never shot astrophotography before. Sounds like good times, plus GPS for geotagging is a nice feature for hiking.
06-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I love you Pentax

06-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cool, though no k-x support is disappointing for me.
06-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Unfortunately, according to the press release, the device works only on the latest generation of cameras (K-5, K-r, 645D).

Further, as far as I can tell right now from what's been released, the Astrotrace function will only work with bodies featuring the newer SR system (i.e. k-r and k-5, and not the 645D, which does not have in-body stabilization).
What? The 645D doesn't have SR? Well then, how can Pentax claim astrotrace will work with the 645D?
06-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
What? The 645D doesn't have SR? Well then, how can Pentax claim astrotrace will work with the 645D?
They don't, they say something like "some of the functions will not work on the 645d "
06-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Glad you posted this. I probably won't use the astrotrace thing but it'll be great to be able to seamlessly geotag images taken while out and about.

Hopefully this is just an interim step to a fully geospatial-aware body (or possibly something in the battery grip).

Mike

p.s. Their announcement that it is available for preorder on the Pentax Webstore seems premature. It is not listed there yet and a search for GPS1 generates an error message.

Last edited by MRRiley; 06-02-2011 at 09:04 AM.
06-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Hi all,

I live in the middle of a big city (Berlin) and skies are light polluted :-(.
So astrophotography for me only made sense on travels to the countryside / middle of nowhere.
BUT: When travelling, I try to keep the weight of my photo gear around 2kg.
So using a tracking telescope was not an option.

The best thing so far (for travelling) is / was the Astrotrac (Astrophotography Made Easy - Home), which weighs 1.x kg and cost >500 Euros incl. accessories.

The new Pentax device would be much smaller and cheaper than anything available so far.
So it really sounds tempting to me :-)

Cheers from Berlin,

jephi

PS. To really get the astro community on board, Pentax now has to offer infrared enabled cameras, like Canon did some years ago...
(That would also stop me from having 3rd parties convert my cameras to infrared)

Last edited by jephi; 06-02-2011 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
06-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #25

QuoteQuote:
The PENTAX O-GPS1 unit will ship in July 2011. It is available for pre-order now on PentaxWebstore - Home for $249.95 USD.
This thing should work really well, especially for this huge amount of cash, sure this wont be the street-price but nevertheless...

I hope it is as accurate as mentioned and this astrotracer-gimmick works really good.
06-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #26

PentaxWebstore GPS Module O-GPS1

Adam
06-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
The press release states up to 5 minutes.
maybe with the 14mm 2.8 or 15mm, but once you start going over 18 the stars start moving pretty fast.

I would have rather had this device with a sync cable to a electronic mount so if can adjust the mount for as long as you want to do the photo for and not move the sensor at all.
06-02-2011, 04:10 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
maybe with the 14mm 2.8 or 15mm, but once you start going over 18 the stars start moving pretty fast.

I would have rather had this device with a sync cable to a electronic mount so if can adjust the mount for as long as you want to do the photo for and not move the sensor at all.
Ha, it just wouldn't be a PentaxForums thread without someone complaining that one of the coolest and most innovative features in years - one that is a bonus feature on a device designed for a completely different purpose and that comes as a complete shock to almost everyone - is not implemented in the way that he would like!
06-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote

A powered equatorial mount will do that, but it costs considerably more than $250. This is an innovative solution that extends the astro photo possibilities of the relevant bodies at a reasonable cost, and Pentax engineering is to be commended for that.
06-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adamfogerty Quote
Thanks for the link Adam... Now where is my Master Card?

Mike