Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I can see this being useful to my bird biologist friends. Take a pic of a bird and the GPS and the bearing to it gets recorded in the EXIF. Too bad Pentax doesn't have finer resolution on its distance to subject estimation which would be useful as well.

06-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
This is a clever use of overlapping tech, but it's practicality needs to be demonstrated. A program like RegiStax works well to combine short exposures into a single image. Will GPS controlled sensor shifting do it more easily or better? How long an exposure of, say, the moon at 1000mm will sensor movement permit?
Well, check the specs: the max focal len. could be 800mm, and max exposure depends on focal len. and position. How well it works depends on the accuracy of the measurements. Short exposures could not be enough to capture some light, and even that some movements of the stars can be catched. Other solution is to buy a equatorial mount which is heavier and usualy (more) expensive, plus you need to set it up right to the north to track well. For the moon you don't need tracking, usualy exposure of 1/200 is fast enough to don't see any movement. Anyway the moon/sun has different speed than stars. Interesting if they implement this.

http://sky.ap.teacup.com/eti_forest/

Last edited by valy; 06-25-2011 at 04:09 PM.
06-26-2011, 04:22 AM   #48
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by valy Quote
Well, check the specs: the max focal len. could be 800mm, and max exposure depends on focal len. and position. How well it works depends on the accuracy of the measurements. Short exposures could not be enough to capture some light, and even that some movements of the stars can be catched. Other solution is to buy a equatorial mount which is heavier and usualy (more) expensive, plus you need to set it up right to the north to track well. For the moon you don't need tracking, usualy exposure of 1/200 is fast enough to don't see any movement. Anyway the moon/sun has different speed than stars. Interesting if they implement this.

‰F’ˆi‚‚j‚Œ‚‚
Nice link, those are some nice results, the shots are only 2-3 minutes so that's peaked my interest. The K5 lead me to firing up my old Equatorial mount, which is quite heavy and polar alignment is a bitch.

Light pollution is pretty bad around here (well I'm within a mile of Stansted Airport!). The idea that I can pack something that weighs just 2 ounces, drive to a dark site at the drop of a hat (or turn of the weather) that together with my normal tripod will give me astrotracking for up to 5 minute exposures is exciting.
This was the best I could achieve last night (Same Cygnus region as in your link)

But then again, the K5 high ISO performance is silly This one is just 44s at ISO 10,000. To show the Andromeda Galaxy rising above the roofs, before the clouds came in.
06-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #49