Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the coolest thing i have ever seen - GPS for Pentax DSLRs

Pentax to announce a new GPS unit for DSLR cameras (O-GPS1) | Photo Rumors
and
Re: Pentax adds GPS unit with Astrotracer: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

OK, at first glance it looks like your standard GPS unit.

BUT:
Astrotracer for astrophotography
The O-GPS1offers the advanced PENTAX original Astrotracer function,* which works with the PENTAX Shake Reduction (SR) system on select cameras for tracking and photographing celestial bodies. The unit calculates the movement of stars, planets, and other bodies using the latitude obtained from GPS data and the camera’s alignment data (horizontal and vertical inclinations and aspect) obtained from its magnetic and acceleration sensors. Then, the unit shifts the camera’s image sensor in synchronization with the movement of the object(s). As a result, stars and other bodies are captured as solid points rather than blurry streaks, even during extended exposures. The unit also simplifies astrophotography by requiring only a tripod and eliminating the need for additional accessories such as an equatorial telescope.
  • This function is available only when the O-GPS1 is mounted on a PENTAX digital SLR camera body equipped with a magnet-driven SR system.
The duration of Astrotracer operation may vary depending on photographic conditions.

SO COOL

06-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Pentax to announce a new GPS unit for DSLR cameras (O-GPS1) | Photo Rumors
and
Re: Pentax adds GPS unit with Astrotracer: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

OK, at first glance it looks like your standard GPS unit.

BUT:
Astrotracer for astrophotography
The O-GPS1offers the advanced PENTAX original Astrotracer function,* which works with the PENTAX Shake Reduction (SR) system on select cameras for tracking and photographing celestial bodies. The unit calculates the movement of stars, planets, and other bodies using the latitude obtained from GPS data and the camera’s alignment data (horizontal and vertical inclinations and aspect) obtained from its magnetic and acceleration sensors. Then, the unit shifts the camera’s image sensor in synchronization with the movement of the object(s). As a result, stars and other bodies are captured as solid points rather than blurry streaks, even during extended exposures. The unit also simplifies astrophotography by requiring only a tripod and eliminating the need for additional accessories such as an equatorial telescope.
  • This function is available only when the O-GPS1 is mounted on a PENTAX digital SLR camera body equipped with a magnet-driven SR system.
The duration of Astrotracer operation may vary depending on photographic conditions.

SO COOL
I have never done any astrophotography, but that does sound really cool.
06-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Agreed. It is pretty cool, probably wouldn't use it myself but interesting concept.
06-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Astrotracer is interesting - I wonder how well it would work for longer lenses to capture those distant galaxies and nebulae.

06-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Astrotracer is interesting - I wonder how well it would work for longer lenses to capture those distant galaxies and nebulae.
Or even on the nearer side of thing, the moon shots.
06-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Or even on the nearer side of thing, the moon shots.
The moon is so bright, you really don't need super long exposures like you do with deep sky objects.
06-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

the autotracer technology is friggin awesome!

I have been doing some astro work and I will be eager to try it out.
06-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the autotracer technology is friggin awesome!

I have been doing some astro work and I will be eager to try it out.
autotracer would be cool, would that be where it shifts the sensor for you to achieve perfect panning shots of racing cars everytime? Sorry couldn't resist.

06-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by napawino Quote
The moon is so bright, you really don't need super long exposures like you do with deep sky objects.
True, but i'd think anywhere under 1/100 shutter my "pixel peeping" would see the movement of the moon especially when using longer lenses & or TC's. This could possibly counter this. Although I will admit I am relatively new to shooting the moon and might (reads: most likely) just be finding misguided applications of the technology. You know like Windows Vista UAC.
06-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow. What an innovation Pentax! You really did something with this...
I wouldn't have much use for the astrophotography side of it, but the GPS would be nice...
06-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #11

A full moon is very bright, even in long lenses. I've never tried to photograph it, but in my telescopes, it's too bright to view without a filter to knock down the brightness.

But it's those long exposures of the deep sky that astrophotographers can get, that will take your breath away.
06-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
krp
Site Supporter

It's funny someone in the other forum made a thread about this idea of using SR to track stars. And now Pentax made it possible. I only hope it will support the K-x.
06-02-2011, 04:35 AM   #13
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
It's funny someone in the other forum made a thread about this idea of using SR to track stars. And now Pentax made it possible. I only hope it will support the K-x.
Unfortunately, according to the press release, the device works only on the latest generation of cameras (K-5, K-r, 645D).

Further, as far as I can tell right now from what's been released, the Astrotrace function will only work with bodies featuring the newer SR system (i.e. k-r and k-5, and not the 645D, which does not have in-body stabilization).
06-02-2011, 04:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

It seems to me Pentax is now really leveraging the benefits of a floating sensor. First it was composition adjustment for tripod use, now rotating the sensor to track stars. Nice!

I wonder what else they can do with this technology.
06-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #15
Pentaxian

It's a really neat idea, however the maximum travel of the sensor will limit, to some extend, the exposure time. anything over about a minute will probably be too much. Still, that's pretty neat!