Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Just did it

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all!
After months of vacillation and hovering around this forum, watching prices and exchange rates I have finally committed. I just hope the unit I receive is as reliable as my K20. Not going to be easy (or cheap) sending a defective unit back to the US for warrenty issues. I would have purchased locally in South Africa but there was a 25 % difference in price. Through another thread here, I obtained the 'phone number of the Pentax rep for South Africa and, despite assurances to meet me regarding the price, he did not come back. The uncertainty regarding the various issues some have experienced with the K5 puts a bit of spice into the equation. I have also purchased the Sigma 8-16 and the Pentax 18-135 WR to spread the shipping cost load. It would be realy good if the package arrives before I leave on a trip to Botswana next weekend. I know this is not going to make me a better photographer but at least the itch will be relieved.

Regards,

John K

06-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats...I can relate the itching
06-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum John.
I can attest to the K-5's reliability (so far). It's a decent step up in every way to the K20D, except perhaps the SD card door mechanism (which I preferred on the K20D) but is a minor issue to all the other benefits of the camera.
Look forward to seeing your results from Botswana.
06-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi John, I hope you get a mint copy without problems as it seems from recent discussions on the forum, there might be problems with, or confusion about international warrenty for Pentax products bought online and shipped to destination outside USA. I am also looking at getting one from USA, but am still wating to see what happens. I don't want something that I can't get replaced under warrenty, even if I can save 25% or more. Prices difference between RSA and USA is absurd
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/ask-b-h-photo/143550-pentax-guarantee-iss...al-buyers.html

06-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Christo, I am also concerned about the warrenty issues but life is not without risks! I hope you can resolve the issues for yourself and get the camera.

Hi Ash, My trip to Botswana is only to Gaberone for a Rotary conference so not going to be much in the way of wildlife opportunities. Need to get a group together again to do the Swamps and the Delta again! Last time was fantastic!

By the way I see from the tracking that my parcel has just left Cologn in germany so should be in RSA tonight. Then the customs clearing (and payment) will have to happen - supposedly after the weekend. UPS have already contacted me but I am still waiting to find out how much I must pay.

cheers,

John K
06-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi,
It is very frustrating to know that my parcel has been sitting in Johannesburg for 2 days waiting for paperwork to be completed! I have done something that I have never done in my life before and that is I have downloaded the user manual from Pentax and read it from cover to cover and this is before I even have the item in my hands! Normally I live by the motto -"if all else fails then read the instructions" I hope it lives up to my expectations!

Regards to all,
John K
06-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Welcome to the Club!

06-05-2011, 04:54 AM   #8

Pentax K-5 Body

Item condition:NewTime left:27d 15h (Jul 02, 201120:22:01 PDT)Price:US $1,200.00Buy It NowBuy It NowBuy It Now
Add to list
Start of panel Add to a new list
End of panel

Added to your Watch list
Shipping:$46.00 Economy Int'l ShippingSee more services See shipping discounts | See all shipping detailsDelivery:Varies for items shipped from an international location Seller ships within 2 days after receiving cleared payment - opens in a new window or tab.

Returns:7 day money back, buyer pays return shipping |<A rel=nofollow>Read return policy details
K5 on ebay for $1200+$46.00 P+H Waiting to hear from local retailers if they will match
06-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnKSA Quote
Hi,
It is very frustrating to know that my parcel has been sitting in Johannesburg for 2 days waiting for paperwork to be completed! I have done something that I have never done in my life before and that is I have downloaded the user manual from Pentax and read it from cover to cover and this is before I even have the item in my hands! Normally I live by the motto -"if all else fails then read the instructions" I hope it lives up to my expectations!

Regards to all,
John K
Hi John - I have just, after 3 weeks of reading all the manuals of the cameras I had shortlisted, decided that the K-5 is for me. Looking to order from Cybertrek or Cameraland as I am worried about buying from US website. Please let us know the outcome of your order. How long it took, what the customs and shipping costs were.
Thanks
Jenni
06-07-2011, 02:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Jenni,

Sorry to the rest of the forum members as this should probably have been done as a PM but I thought that other South African members might learn something from this.

To answer your questions:
1. It will have taken 8 days to receive the camera from order date (I hope to get it tomorrow Wednesday 8/6/2011). It probably could have happened within a work week had I placed my order on a Monday.
2. Shipping cost me $80-42 if I apportion, by value, the shipping across my entire order. If I had bought just the camera body it would have been $125-00
3. The clearing and import taxes etc came to exactly 20% of the Rand value including shipping costs.
4. The credit card company charged me an exchange rate of 7.00 when the TV quoted rate was on the day was 6.85.

If you do import be wary to keep the value of the shipment (including shipping costs) to below R20 000 otherwise you will need an import permit. I was very lucky in that I was not aware of this and my shipment came in at R19683.17 so it just scraped below the threshold.

If you do buy locally be wary of buying "grey" goods as you will most probably not be covered by Pentax SA (New Teltron). If you want to contact Teltron speak to Alistair Chambers on 079 739 9764 to make sure. If you do buy from a direct importer make sure about guarantees and shipping costs to send the item back to the country of origin. I may be mistaken but I believe that Pentax SA will help if the camera has the "string of pearls" problem - I hope not to have to put them to the test!
As far as I know and stand to be corrected Cybertrek do their own importing (grey goods). Cameraland (if it is the one I am thinking about) is part of a brick & mortar store and should probably be selling legit products.
The cheapest quote I received was from Stax in Dunkeld, Johannesburg, at
R14899-00.
My effective landed cost was R11 146.57- a saving of 33.66%. It would not have been quite as big a saving if I did not reuce the proportional shipping cost by including a few lenses and memory cards etc. Had I bought the body only the landed cost would have been R12 201-00 ($1743-00).

I have now also read Yvon Bourque's book on the K5 as well as the entire owners' manual so all I have to do now is to get my grubby little paws on the camera.:.

All the best,

John

Last edited by JohnKSA; 06-07-2011 at 03:23 AM. Reason: corrent spelling
06-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #11

John so hows the camera going in your grubby hands lol