Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikhail_Kriviniouk Quote
I have to disagree. If your camera is making the "double mirror slap" sounds - prepare yourself to send it off soon (mine died, the sudden death of a 4 month old k5 was preceded by double mirror slap getting more frequent over a course of some weeks)
I have to agree that you can't just say its SR its ok. My first K5 had a issue with sound, and it was indeed the SR, but it wasn't working as intended. It was flopping around, lik it couldn't balance one end of the sensor. It was visible in live view as well as jitter on one end of the camera. My second K5 has the double mirror slap issue, but I havn't been able to replicate it in the past week and a half after some decent usage, so I'm hoping my issue was a oddly charged battery or the like *crosses fingers*

Anyhow if you just hear a humming or feels like its moving side to side and it still takes videos normally and photos, its probably the SR. If your not too sure my suggestion would to be just go in the store and pick up the instore shelf model and take a few pictures with that one and see if it reacts and sounds the same as yours. Even bring yours in and compare. Most stores are more then willing to do this.

06-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I have a different issue. It's a metallic sound (like the beginning of screw drive focus) when the camera powers on (or by switch or shutter). I can actually feel it vibrating.

The camera is brand new it arrived today.

It's not SR or Dust Removal.
09-01-2011, 04:44 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Guys one question regarding this issue.. I just got back my K-5 from service and i notice a bumpy sound inside.. I owned the K-x before and i m familiar with the SR function.. The thing is i didn't noticed it before (i own K-5 1 month). I ll look into it later for further info.. Do you think its the SR? I contacted the technician and he metioned the CCD Plate that it is.. Is it possible i haven't mention it for a month or something happened at the service?From a quick look i can feel it not only in LV but when i have LV off also..

Update. I feel a weight moving when i switch from horisontal to vertical shooting.. Also i think the shutter bumps more like k-x now.. Maybe its all my idea... What you think?

Last edited by Dionisis_K; 09-01-2011 at 08:33 AM.
09-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #19

any advice pls?is it normal to hear a slight bumb switcing from horisontal to vertical?

Last edited by Dionisis_K; 09-01-2011 at 12:05 PM.
09-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Yes, it is normal, not everyone notice it though.
09-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #21

it depents to the body?or the person's sences? :P I can swear this wasn't happening before the service.. When the camera was moving or i was checking for inside sounds it was solid...Also i just noticed that the shutter is much more quieter in LV mode than when i shot through the viewfinder..
09-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dionisis_K Quote
it depents to the body?or the person's sences? :P
Probably both. It is the CMOS sensor plate that moves around (between ball bearings) when you tilt the camera. It's part of the SR design and has been since the K10d, or whenever they introduced the SR system. MAYBE when the camera is brand new the plate has a little more friction to it so you need to shake the camera a little harder for the plate to actually move around.

When the SR is engaged the plate is locked up or moved around (as the SR system dictates) by four electromagnetic servos.
09-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Dionisis_K Quote
Also i just noticed that the shutter is much more quieter in LV mode than when i shot through the viewfinder..
So this is normal too?the shound during LV is so smooth...In viewfinder mode it makes a bumpy sound at the end..when mirror returns to place i suppose.. Thanks a lot for the interest gyus..

Last edited by Dionisis_K; 09-01-2011 at 01:26 PM.
09-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #24

Sorry if sound neurotic but i m very possitive that i wans't hearing the bump after the shutter before i go to service...And its so distinctive now..