Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2011, 04:30 AM   #1

White spots in the sky

Hello,

I have a Pentax K-5 + 18-55 that sometimes shows white spots on images, but only when the subject is the sky. It only happens sometimes, and the occurence of white spots differs. It only happens when I've taken a photo of the sky, never in other situations. The camera has been in for service for this problem, but they didn't find any problems or faults. They have also cleaned the sensor.
My question is: What are these white spots? I'm not sure it is a fault, but I don't find any explanation of what it is.

Kind Regards
Andreas

Attached Images

06-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
This issue is unusual. Since it occurs intermittently, it is not a physical problem like dust or smears. But since it also occurs in different spots makes me wonder whether there is something electrical or within the sensor that is producing these wierd spots. You're sure the sky doesn't have these spots as little clouds when you're shooting it, right?

Probably best to take a photo of something even more homogeneous, like a dark grey or black page, underexposing it to look for the white spots, and trying different apertures to test how it appears with the lens stopped down.
06-04-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Maybe this is dust/damage to the lens? Doesn't look like sensor dust to me.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
I have checked other images and can't see the same thing there. Maybe it's something in the air that the camera can see. Because of that, it's not a big problem.

06-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try rocket blowing the insides of the camera and rear lens element clean anyway and see if it makes any difference.
06-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I think dust anywhere in the light path is going to show up black or at least dark. It would have to be Huge to be on the lens and to have any real affect on photos.

What do the spots look like blown up? Just plain white spots?
Have you tried a different card?
Are you using a filter on the lens? (could this be Lens Flare?)
How do you know that this doesn't occur in any other types of photos?
Are the spots always in the same place?
Do they show up in the RAW PEF (or DNG) files?

06-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps you can try taking a long exposure, in a dark place, with the lens cap on, SR off, on tripod to eliminate any possibility of shake/motion and see if any bright spots result. That will most likely eliminate any electronic failure. Secondly, what image processing software are you using? Can you reproduce this effect using a different image processor on the same affected image?

06-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look like UFO's to me
06-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #9

Original Poster
The spots are white and sometimes a bit gray. They vary in size, place and occurrence. Most of the time when I take a picture of the sky no spots are visible. It only happens sometimes, so I don't think that something is wrong with the camera. I have tested with different cards and without UV-filter, but it's difficult to test so many times to reproduce the spots. I have also checked my other photos and couldn't see any spots on them.
06-05-2011, 06:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have we ruled out the chance there really is something in the sky when the shot is taken?
I've seen similar images and the spots were birds in flight. Since they are always random, only when you're shooting the sky and you can't duplicate the same spot locations from shot to shot, it sure sounds like something physical being captured by the lens and sensor. Maybe flying insects?
06-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
Yes, could it be as germar describes? Maybe my eyes can't see it, but my camera can when i take a photo at 55 with 18-55.
06-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Looks like dust on lens or filter and hence you are seeing at different places at different time due to rotation - my guess.
06-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have the spots too,to replicate shoot the sky at f14(ish)through to f22.I can do this with different lens,gray or blue sky.It doesn't seem to be an issue at any other time.
06-06-2011, 01:26 AM   #14

Original Poster
Do you also have white spots? My photos are taken at F5.6.
06-06-2011, 01:55 AM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andovis Quote
Do you also have white spots? My photos are taken at F5.6.
No,mine are more a pale grey but it was overcast here all day.Nothing for me at f5.6.