Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bummer. You'll just have to take your business elsewhere then, eh? (Let your money do the talking)

06-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #17

Original Poster
They Have also in Melbourne thats their main office, they also don't price match, but have given me a few places to try, so here is wishing. Have had the LBA got over that, now have the CBA after reading about the K5
06-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #18

I bought a K5 with 18-135 from Camera Lane in Melbourne for $1850. Most won't match international prices but will come down on the basis that they might lose a sale.

$1285 might attract import taxes as well.
06-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lanegd01 Quote
$1285 might attract import taxes as well.

NO, as previously stated there is no import taxes (duty) levied against cameras imported into Australia. There is only GST payable on the full value of cameras once the amount surpasses the 1K mark.

Greetings

06-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
t-dimension is worth the look with there service and warranty plus you get freebies If I had not bought early I would of bought my K5 from them look on whirlpool for so many happy purchase's
06-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Regardless of where you source it from, make sure you confirm that you will receive the International Warranty Slip with it.
It would be good to know... currently Ted's wants $1850 just for the K-5 body.. o_0
06-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
I thought their office in in Melb for some reason....
Their head office is in Melbourne, but they've also got offices in Sydney, Cairns, Brisbane, Adelaide, and Perth. More info HERE. I think Melbourne is also where their technical/repair department is, because whenever I've had any issues, that's where they send my gear.

06-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicks Quote
Ted's can continue playing solitaire on their computers as nobody will ever enter their store with these prices....
LOL, that's right, I just can't stand Ted's camera stores. High prices, bad layout and poor service. Their model of store and the Camera House model too is going to be extinct within a few years. Ted's didn't help matters when I walked in 18 months ago for my first DSLR purchase and asked to look at K-x and they flat out told me not to buy Pentax. Sheese.

IMHO the camera stores that survive will be
1) the "Michaels" style which has an awesome range, great service, added interest in store like great range of books and even a camera museum, and they run DSLR courses. Sure their prices are high, but you are at least getting something for those prices, particularly for the beginner
2) the "JB" style which have small stores, limited range (although can order in), but unbeatable prices so long as you negotiate.

I've bought a lot of expensive gear from JB, while I tend to buy my accessories & some books from Michaels. I don't even like to window shop at Ted's.
06-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I got my K-5 at JB Hi-fi for 1650 (body only) and got quoted $1800 for the 18-55 kit. It was the lowest I could go. I wanted local warranty for it due to my bad experience with the K-r so had to purchase locally to be safe.
06-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

JB has quoted me $1530 for a K-5.
06-08-2011, 02:49 AM   #26
Forum Member

As I said before t-dimension. I live in Mallacoota halfway between Sydney and Melbourne I have used t-Dimention 3 times now they give a 2yr warranty with postage payed both ways. I returned a camera took 10 days from leaving here to the return of a new camera. I definitely would have got my K5 from them had I not been so impatient.
06-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I would not buy a K5 overseas. the camera has QC issues..so Id want a Aussie warranty if it presents with any of the known issues that have plagued the K5..at least that way you will have some recourse.

a extra $200 spent may well save you some grief down the road !
06-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #28
Forum Member

no grief from t-dimension in fact it is a quicker replacement service with double the warranty and no out of pocket costs to you. Sending back my K5 with insured postage cost me $34.00 and 2 weeks to CR kennedy
06-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Ok - for those that don't know - one of Australia's larger online sellers is Buymart.
However don't let the 'Australian' thing fool you - they are very much parallel importers and the stock comes from overseas.
I've recenly had a short email conversation with them as such:

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch":
Good evening,
I am currently hunting for a K-5, however I am concerned about purchasing
from overseas.
The CR Kennedy (Australia's Pentax supplier and warranty agent) specifically
states that it will not honour warranties WITHOUT a completed International
Warranty Slip (which must be filled out by the seller)
Do your cameras come with said slip?

Cheers,
Jase
QuoteOriginally posted by Buymart:
Hi Jason,

No, as this is parallel import, hence we provide store local service warranty which is serviced under Pentax AU authorised service dealer.

Thanks

Phillip
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch:
Phillip,

Ok - just so I have this right...
It's not a 'Pentax' warranty, but a 'Buymart' warranty - however CR Kennedy (or one of their agents) do the work anyways?

- Jase
QuoteOriginally posted by Buymart:
Hi Lurch,

That is absolutely correct, for any warranty repairs it gets fixed with Authorised Pentax AU service dealer under Buymart warranty.

Thanks

Phillip
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch:
Phillip

Ok - thanks mate.
Although it is not an official Pentax Warranty - that doesn't sound too bad.
As long as it is still serviced within Australia (my primary concerns being both cost and downtime with shipping Overseas) that sounds great.

Thank you for clearing that all up.

- Jase
Which means that you *can* get a K-5 in Oz for $1095
Pentax K-5 Body [BMPX-K5BD] - $1,095.99 : BuyMart

QuoteOriginally posted by Buymart Website:
WARRANTY: This product comes with 12-month BuyMart service warranty. Faulty or damaged item must be reported within 48 hours to qualify for Defective-on-Arrival warranty. For more information please click here.
Now - don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting for a second that everyone should rush off and buy a K-5 from Buymart, however it certainly is food for thought.
06-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #30
Forum Member

Well thats the best price so far