Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #151
Veteran Member

I bought my K-5 for $1,539 from JB, and it was on credit card too. They still have 1 more in stock as of 2 days ago.

07-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #152
Forum Member

Was that from their city - camera's store Twitch?

Cheers
07-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I bought my K-5 for $1,539 from JB, and it was on credit card too. They still have 1 more in stock as of 2 days ago.
Couldn't wait any longer ? Congrats. With the 15mm LTD thats going to do some great work in your hands. You surely didn't pay that over the counter - in a shop - in this country !?!?!?

Anyway Pixley; I believe twitch has demonstrated that the issue is your store and not Australian Retail - JB didn't even claw back the 2% they could have charged in addition 'cause he used a credit card - how Un-Australian!

I'd also stop shopping at your local particular camera store, since there is clearly 3 or 4 others in Melbourne that do want your business

Will be curious what countries people can come up with for these cheaper K5's in countries with our high retail salaries.... I've just about finished all of the EU and haven't found one yet... Wonder what the minimum wage is in Honk Kong Retail ?....
07-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pixley Quote
Was that from their city - camera's store Twitch?

Cheers
Yes, ask for Aaron (he's the one with long hair). They also sell the grip for a very reasonable price unlike DCW

07-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
Couldn't wait any longer ? Congrats. With the 15mm LTD thats going to do some great work in your hands. You surely didn't pay that over the counter - in a shop - in this country !?!?!?
Thanks! The DA15 for whatever reason can't be bought in this country for a reasonable price so I got that from Adorama. The DA40 though I bought here for $370 and the DA70 for $535. Not sure if those prices can be repeated though, it was 18 months ago.
07-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #156
Veteran Member

The difference is JB are prepared to make almost nothing on a transaction just to get the sale, I imagine they get some incentives from CRK for volume. I'm guessing they don't get any different wholesale price per item from CRK than any other store here, so other stores here could hit their prices but just choose not to.
07-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #157
Forum Member

Thanks Twitch.

Cheers

07-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #158
Veteran Member

If you think buying locally is going to get you better warranty service, forget it, it took CRK 3 months to fix my camera last time, they sent it back saying no problem, I sent it back saying yes there is a problem, they sent it to Japan etc. All for an AF adjustment!

Someone else said local retailer is better for buying a replacement lens over the weekend. Good luck finding the lens in stock at the retailer, usually they'll order it in and it will take 3 times longer than buying it from B&H. I even remember a time not long ago when CRK discouraged buying Pentax lenses, and was pushing Sigma lenses instead.
07-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #159
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
LOL.. Good thing non taken - Wrong by the way - by a long shot. I mean, besides being a complete straw man argument - don't you think it'd be rude if I said as the basis to dismiss all your statements without any genuine regard as "Sounds Like, talks like, a Mt Buller Bumpkin.. been on rural welfare too long" (By the way - if you want to talk about price gouging.... lol.... )

Now.. back to the facts I actually raised - Real Life by the way - rather than a hollow argument wrongly based on assumptions about my employment - care to elaborate on how exactly using the numbers I outlined above - you propose that your average retailer is screwing you ? How can simply uttering the words "Oh, he just needs to go online" fix any of the issues I highlighted ? What - do people think he suddenly has no staff ? Do you think commercial internet sites to handle a proper volume come free ? No transaction fees anymore ? Rent is about 1/4 of where the excessive cost blows out - and that's the only thing you'd save in online - unless we just want to convert the entire retail sector to unemployed.. oh yeah - get them different jobs - in what sector do you suggest ?? ...Or they stay employed as handlers and pickers... and cost just as much if not more than retail employees... hows that lowering costs ?

'Real Life' means that if you want high salaries combined with a high cost of infrastructure - you are going to pay higher prices. That's reality. Or do you honestly think you somehow should get 3 times the level of salary that someone in the US does, but pay the same price they do ? Hows that 'real life'???

Also - feel free to quote specifics about various instances of where it happens but it does nothing to prove a point - I never said every Australian Business is ethical - rather what I said is that every retailer is not out to rip you off which is the general sweeping argument everyone wants to mount. So don't consider quoting a bunch of products that have disparity as argument for how in light of the costs I outlined we are being ripped off. No one said stores dont charge differently - and guess what - different stores have different rent and costs too - but I guess we could not get bogged down with the facts...

No one said every store sells at cost and that some don't make better margins than others - but this mass assumption that every business in Australia is trying to gouge you is just false and entirely failing to see the cause of the problem... there is genuine reasons that we pay more and no one here so far has demonstrated otherwise...

Finally:

Are you saying you openly gouge your customers and thus know this through first-hand knowledge??
Or are you trying to argue because of a specific example which does nothing to refute the points I raised (Who knows - maybe that manufacturer is a theifing scumbag) that therefore *all* Australian Retailers are Rip-Off Merchants ? Or do you examine the books of every business you have dealt with and seen their costs of sale and other accounting info in order to determine they are ripping you off and profiteering ?

Work out how - given the costs I outlined - you for see us all being ripped off blindly. That includes showing how this magical switch to 'online' works. Ending up with 15% extra unemployed sounds to me like it might drive inflation up a little, so hardly seems like a solution to just off-shore the lot not to mention it takes non of the actual costs of being online or operating a business with staff into account...

Actually stop and think and explain the solution... please... ideally with some numbers to back your statements as I did...

Just as an aside - in this grand world of 'online' retail that will solve all our problems - what are peoples solutions for when its midday Saturday, and you've just broken a Lens, and need one then and there ? eBay may be grand and all - but it wont get you one inside of Tuesday unless the gods are truly smiling.... Or again - is that a price we are all prepared to pay to achieve this fantasy of paying the same price in every corner of the globe ?
Well Adrian I dont need to see B&h's books to know 9th ave real estate rents are not cheap same goes for Adorama too. Your whole argument sounds like you have interests in a bricks and Mortar shop front. Bit like Gerry Harveys argument about saving Australian jobs when he clearly did not care who he walked on setting his empire up , what about the jobs he took away?
07-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Actually; if you read the report I linked to back on #9 published just last week, you'll see that we pay 3 times the average price in the US. Or the world actually. http://www.smartcompany.com.au/retail/20110701-australia-s-retail-rents-the-...ld-report.html ... And since the rent is a mere $5000 in the $44,000 disparity - I still fail to see how it even makes a dent in the void between the two in costs otherwise..

What my whole argument sounds like is I've actually stopped and examined the situation and researched it rather than sprouting off what The Age or Tele tells me to or whinging because "i reckon" i'm being ripped off... Like I said - rather than quote more rhetoric - show me the numbers as I have done to you showing me the flaws in my statements ? No assumptions, no opinions, just hard numbers.

Do a little research yourself and find these mythical cheaper K5's sold in countries with our equal retail employees salaries and rents... rather than just thinking thats how it should be...

As previously mentioned last time it was tried - my employment has little to do with this really does it since I'm presenting quite sound arguments with supporting sources to further back them up rather than just rattling off assumptions. If you want to look for a straw man argument - you wont find it in my Job Role or who I work for! lol But just to make it completely plain that I have nothing to do with Retail or these nasty Australian Retailers - I work for a global multi-national that employs over 90,000 people that has nothing to do with selling products to people.

Last edited by adr1an; 07-07-2011 at 08:46 PM.
07-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #161
Forum Member

lol you can put all the satistics in the world together and get them to reiforce your views but common sense prevails
07-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #162
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Osama Binhidin Quote
lol you can put all the satistics in the world together and get them to reiforce your views but common sense prevails
Really ? Wow - So you being unable to mount an argument in the face of facts besides "I reckon i'm being ripped off" equals common sense prevailing ? Logic states that would be more 'ignorance' than common sense.. but if you really believe complaining that all Australian Retailers are ripping you off because "you reckon" despite actual evidence to the contrary is common sense go for it.

Your refusal to respond besides more whinging or straw man arguments is very telling. Lol.

This country is screwed.. You're dead right.
07-07-2011, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #163
Forum Member

keep on spinning lol you will be able to get a job in Canberra with all the shiny bums, now there is a lot of wasted public money! Now enough said and leave this forum free of any more bullshit.
07-08-2011, 02:12 AM   #164
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I thought this was a thread about the price of the K5 in Australia, not a debate about retailing.
07-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #165
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Just out of interest, I was scouting around last night and here on the Gold Coast there are none in stock but Teds can get me a body only for $1850, JB HiFi's 3 stores only have 1 x KX and 2 x KR's between them. All 3 quoted $1799 body only for K5. Bentleys Camera House at Robina scoffed but looked and said the same asTeds at $1850 body only.
Harvey Normans would not even give me a price.
If I go in to Brisbane, Camera Pro are quoting $1533 body only and DCW $1569 for same.