Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #16
Brooke Meyer

Its not the camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by A.M.92 Quote
Brooke, i appreciate the help. I had a K-7 for over a year, tried to use it and learn about it as much as possible, although i'd say i've learnt and improve on my photographic abilities. I feel that you can only do so much, which from there on it's up to the K-7. I am not saying Pentax is bad or anything, but honestly if a, 3, 4 year older, nikon, or canon can outperform a top Pentax camera in terms of A/F, with D* lens, then i don't know what to say..
I don't know why but Jpegs posted here are mushy compared to my Flickr, Facebook or web site galleries. This was done with a K20 and a screw drive Tamron 28-75. She was running at me, a surely rapid change of focus. I was using manual exposure and single, centered focus point with my thumb on the AF button, left hand changing zoom and right index on the shutter. Next week I'm shooting 3 dress reheasals. I'll have two K-5s but I'll shoot exactly the same way.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 08-31-2011 at 11:04 PM.
06-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I don't know why but Jpegs posted here are mushy compared to my Flickr, Facebook or web site galleries. This was done with a K20 and a screw drive Tamron 28-75. She was running at me, a surely rapid change of focus. I was using manual exposure and single, centered focus point with my thumb on the AF button, left hand changing zoom and right index on the shutter. Next week I'm shooting 3 dress reheasals. I'll have two K-5s but I'll shoot exactly the same way.
Brooke Meyer said: Its not the camera.

Actually sometimes it IS the camera.
06-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

That's an awesome photo BTW!
06-08-2011, 04:05 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I moved from a K7 to K5..the High ISo is much better than the k7..the Af is quicker and in the right light, accurate ...but as the light dims..its not so good...Low light and front focus issues are still present even with new 1.03 firmware..." DISCLAIMER"...with certain LENSES

nikon owners with the D7000 are having issues with its focus system, and oil spots on the sensor that look very much like the dreaded sensor stains that the K5 endured...shutter blur is also talked about with the D7000...!!...the Canon Mark 5II also has lack lustre AF..according to many canon forums /owners..so Nikon/canon are not immune from AF issues

after I returned my K5..i was determined not to have a body that might have inherent Af issues..I did my homework and finally settled on the older tried and tested nikon D300s..every review and forum post I read, talked of great AF ..and I can confirm that its Af is very good indeed...its a older body..not as cutting edge in its sensor DR/ISO...but is crystal sharp ....and for me that very important...my files need more work with noise suppression than the K5 did....but im now confident in low light Af and my sports shots {AFL} are almost 100% keepers.

im not knocking the K5..as its a fine camera and excellent build. Af is its only, and biggest failing IMHO

06-08-2011, 04:26 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Brooke that is just a stupid dog, the disc is going the other direction and the dog mist it completely!

Great shot!
No Ron, he had a better offer, he spotted a bitch which explains the spittle!

Cheers
06-08-2011, 04:44 AM   #21
Veteran Member

yes I agree with you..all the pictures I ever posted here look softer than either on the PC or at the hosting site....I read a post ages ago where Ash talked of this issue with Adam ..?
06-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #22
Brooke Meyer

Maybe

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Brooke Meyer said: Its not the camera.

Actually sometimes it IS the camera.
Mea culpa. I don't doubt you've identified a problem. What I have learned in 4 years with a K10, 2 K20's and 2 K-5s is that auto focus requires contrast to work and if I use a single point of focus, maintained with the AF button and stay with the subject, I can successfully photograph rapidly moving objects. Jazz dance with dramatic but really low levels are another challenge. It takes practice. Compared to how hard the dancers practice, I've got it easy.

The blue one was a Tamron 28-75 in dress rehearsal and the other 3 were a DA 50-135 at 135, wide open from back of the auditorium, K20 at 1600. Didn't have K5's yet.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 08-31-2011 at 11:05 PM.
06-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by A.M.92 Quote
Hello everyone, i just had few questions regarding the K-5. I do not own it yet and have not tried it out.. My questions are, i am coming from K-7, how better, or improved is the A/F compared to K-7, second, how better is it in low light, and the accuracy in lower light as compared to the K-5. These are series questions, i want to be sure that when i am not in natural light, at home, or in a building, that the A/F will not hunt so much as it did with my K-7. Please let me know, i would honestly appreciate it, these are my deciding factors to buy or not to buy the K-5. Is there really a difference with A/F and ISO performance worth getting the K-5. Please let me know. Thank you! -A.M.
I happen to be quite happy with the K5 on all accounts. Then again, I was reasonably satisfied (and still could be) with the K7. The increased dynamic range is what really sold me on the K5. AF is quick enough that I don't miss as many action shots as before. In Room light (single tungsten light bulb), it's pretty good as well. I've never tried other brands so I can't state how it would stack up among the pack but I suspect it would do pretty damn well. You Still need Contrast for AF to work however. Don't point it at a blank white wall and expect it to nail focus right away with no hunting.

DA*16-50

FA43mm Limited

Last edited by JeffJS; 06-08-2011 at 09:34 AM.
06-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #24
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know why but Jpegs posted here are mushy compared to my Flickr, Facebook or web site galleries.
Brooke, this is an ongoing issue with the forum's JPEG compression software. It softens images and reduces their clarity, a lot! Better off just linking your images hosted on Flickr and elsewhere where they don't degrade images like ones attached to posts here.
06-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Brooke, this is an ongoing issue with the forum's JPEG compression software. It softens images and reduces their clarity, a lot! Better off just linking your images hosted on Flickr and elsewhere where they don't degrade images like ones attached to posts here.
Agreed, flickr does a great job at resizing images and maintaining resonable sharpness. Just link direct to your photo on flickr.