Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What to do about static sound in videos?

It anyone wants, I can post a video up but it's a constant crackling/static sound recorded into the video.

Happens regardless of what player I use on the computer and even happens during playback on the camera itself.

Basically renders movie mode unusable.

Running the 1.01 firmware, was this corrected in a later revision?

It seems to do it on all quality settings, even the low quality settings so I don't think it is a problem with the card not keeping up.

Only thing I can tink of is to use a faster card. I have tried two different cards of the same type and it happens on both of them.

I'm not about to carry an external microphone, I'm not Steven Spielberg. I just want to be able to capture quick clips of the dog splashing around in the water.

06-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I am not getting this issue but read other have . See other post in the K-5
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/146287-clicking-noise-audio.html
06-07-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Turn off SR (shake reduction).
06-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The static sound comes from the SR.
BTW, the SR control for Video is buried in the "Movie" menu, so you can turn it off for Video and still leave SR on for still photos.

06-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Sounds like a "new" problem if it's even there when reviewing in camera.
06-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I'm not about to carry an external microphone, I'm not Steven Spielberg. I just want to be able to capture quick clips of the dog splashing around in the water.
Assuming the dog is splashing around in water outside, it will be a challenge to get "clean" sound with the tiny K-5 mike. Even with the SR off, any kind of breeze going against that mike can create crackling.
06-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting, now I can't get the static noise with or without SR on.

And I see there's no autofocus during movie recording. Bit disappointing. But I guess it's a DSLR first, movie camera second
06-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Assuming the dog is splashing around in water outside, it will be a challenge to get "clean" sound with the tiny K-5 mike. Even with the SR off, any kind of breeze going against that mike can create crackling.
Probably true. I see there are a few nice looking hotshoe mounted mics available.

06-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This may not be the problem others are experiencing, but I feel fairly confident that the AVI-files produced by the K-5 are out of spec (or using some very unusual feature).

If I try to play a file with mplayer (which plays almost anything) it gives up after the first frame. If i play it with mplayer -forceidx it plays, but there are clicks in the audio. If I remux the file with mkvmerge, I can then play it in mplayer without clicks.

Given this, and that the audio is uncompressed pcm, this is obviously not a codec issue (pcm is what comes out of other audio codecs), but rather a container issue.

As I said, others may well be getting actual clicks in their audio, but I'm probably not alone in having this fixable source.
06-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
This may not be the problem others are experiencing, but I feel fairly confident that the AVI-files produced by the K-5 are out of spec (or using some very unusual feature).

If I try to play a file with mplayer (which plays almost anything) it gives up after the first frame. If i play it with mplayer -forceidx it plays, but there are clicks in the audio. If I remux the file with mkvmerge, I can then play it in mplayer without clicks.

Given this, and that the audio is uncompressed pcm, this is obviously not a codec issue (pcm is what comes out of other audio codecs), but rather a container issue.

As I said, others may well be getting actual clicks in their audio, but I'm probably not alone in having this fixable source.
A 1 Hz or so "popping" sound is pretty typical for some players. Handbrake is one example.

I'll try mkvmerge for remuxing to see if Handbrake likes those files.

As to hotshoe-mounted mics - this is what I did for a bit as I already had one for my Canon HF100. However, the camera does have two pretty severe limitations - 32 kHz sample rate and forced AGC.

I'm starting to figure out the workflow for doing it the way the "pros" do it - record audio with a separate device (Zoom H2) and splice/sync that audio into the video.

The nice thing about this approach is that once I get the workflow down pat, I can record surround sound with the H2.
06-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #11

Perhaps one shouldn't expect miracles from cameras still using MJPEG (Motion-JPEG) for video, instead of the later H264 with MOV container. Lower and some midrange P&S are often still using MJPEG, but the upper range and bridge-zooms are on H264/MOV.

Some DSLRs do use H264/MOV - e.g, Canon - and Canon's SX30 bridge-zoom also does.

I'm about to buy a K-R - when the glitches are fixed - which might not be until the new model later this year, but either way, I won't be guying a Pentax for the MJPEG video - I have 2 bridge-zooms that do H264/MOV, anyway...

And one that does MPEG4 as "Filename.mp4" files, but that's another story...

Regards, Dave.
06-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by exwintech Quote
Perhaps one shouldn't expect miracles from cameras still using MJPEG (Motion-JPEG) for video, instead of the later H264 with MOV container. Lower and some midrange P&S are often still using MJPEG, but the upper range and bridge-zooms are on H264/MOV.
First post. I'm brand new to the forum and a brand new K5 owner. Received the camera two days ago, with a 55mm 1.4 DA lens. Impressed - so far. Impressed with the video too.

I've observed a few statements like this one above from Dave, and I feel compelled to dispel a myth or two.

I spend a great deal of time in video edit suites - and I can tell you that MJPEG is preferred, as a format, over H.264 for two main reasons. Frame image quality and the ability to scrub more easily through scenes. H.264 is so aggressively compressed resulting in a lot of detail getting lost between keyframes. H.264 is also a huge burden on the processor during decoding - this makes scrubbing (quickly moving forwards and backwards through a scene) unbearably slow, if not almost impossible, during editing.

I use a Canon 5D often for client video production. The 5D uses H.264 compression. It's a pain in the ass to edit with. I for one, am very pleased that Pentax opted for MJPEG over H.264 for it's video format.

There is a downside - with that extra quality in frame image detail comes extra file size. MJPEG files are considerably larger than same duration H.264 files. But I'll take quality and the convenience of easier editing over reduced file size any day.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the K5 video. More so than I expected to be. And, in a great form factor too (more compact than the Canon and Nikon counterparts). Although I do wish we had greater options for framerate control. I'd like to see 24fps through 60fps at both 1080 and 720.

Michael.
06-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a YouTube video I shot today with the K-5.

Yes, there's some wind, but you can clearly hear the crackly/static noise. This happens even indoors so it isn't the wind on the mic.

And it isn't YouTube's encoding, this noise is present when viewing the video file on the camera itself.
06-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, maybe this thread can be moved to the Video forum?
06-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess it sounds to me like there is some kind of electrical interference on the mic pickup. I would think the best thing to do would be to use some type of external microphone or recorder, the internal mic isn't that good under the best of circumstances.