Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

With or without battery grip on K5?

Hi all,

I might need some opinions regarding the need of battery grip on my K5.

Now, the question is with or without battery grip on K5?

Thanks.

06-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I say yes- it makes it MUCH easier to hold (even horizontally) and you don't have to worry about your batteries as much. I have it on at all times

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-08-2011, 02:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes here too. The added size and weight makes handheld shooting more stable.

....And, it looks cool...
06-08-2011, 03:01 AM   #4

definitely K5 is better with grip and it looks also better.

06-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Add another vote for the battery grip. I don't have overly large hands yet I find the camera sans grip too small to hold securely, especially with a large lens like the Sigma 50-500mm (Bigma). As Adam says, it also makes it much easier to hold in a portrait orientation.

Mike
06-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Another big yes here, got mine a couple weeks ago and love it! So comfy shooting in portrait mode
06-08-2011, 03:36 AM   #7

another vote for yes - only take it off when trying to be inconspicous

06-08-2011, 04:03 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Because of the reasons mentioned here; a yes! Plus with the grip you can use AA-battery's. A big plus when you are on a long hiking trip!
06-08-2011, 04:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

id say yes..but only when using a larger lens...(70-200F2.8)

if I was using a Fa77 or DA 70..then no..Id leave it off...

the advantages of the k5 are its smaller physical size ,which most people say they love..but then stick a battery grip on it!!...
06-08-2011, 04:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Because of the reasons mentioned here; a yes! Plus with the grip you can use AA-battery's. A big plus when you are on a long hiking trip!

+1..the use of AA's can get you out of a sticky battery less situation....so id leave it in my bag even if im not using it..just for the potential battery use
06-08-2011, 05:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kamayok3 Quote
Hi all,

I might need some opinions regarding the need of battery grip on my K5.

Now, the question is with or without battery grip on K5?

Thanks.
Want to look like a pro?
Then get the grip.

Want the K-5 to look and feel amazing?
Then get the grip.

Want to go on extended shoots?
Then get the grip.

Serious about portrait framing?
Then get the grip.

Want a secondary power source?
Then get the grip.

Couple of ideas that jumped out at me
06-08-2011, 05:56 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having gotten used to the BG's on my K10 and K20, after getting my K-5 I couldn't wait to get the BG for it too. It just feels better. However, on all of the cameras I tend to mount it or remove it depending on the situation, if I want a small or lighter camera, grip off, if I'm doing a lot of work with it and need the extra battery etc, grip on. If I want to look like a pro, big lens and grip!

I can't imagine not having one.
06-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #13
Forum Member

I would say get it if you feel a need for it. In my hand(s), the K-5 sits almost like it was molded in place - very nice and secure grip. That was one of the reasons I bought the camera - it is noticeably smaller than the "equivalent" cameras from other manufacturers, and at the same time it feels better in my hand. I would say I have average size hands for a man (I use size large for kitchen or laboratory rubber gloves, or size 10 for normal gloves). I have not yet felt uncomfortable when taking upright pictures, but if I did this a lot in a place where I did not have to carry the grip around to much, I would probably get it. My main advice to you would be to go to a camera store, then try using the camera with and without the grip. That way, you will know if it is right for you.
06-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
id say yes..but only when using a larger lens...(70-200F2.8)

if I was using a Fa77 or DA 70..then no..Id leave it off...

the advantages of the k5 are its smaller physical size ,which most people say they love..but then stick a battery grip on it!!...
That's what I think is interesting too....one of the selling points typically brought up is it's smaller size. For most of my shooting I can't see wanting it....however I will doing Sr. Portraits this summer and it would nice for that I'm sure. Unless you have money to burn, I can see wanting it only if you have big hands, do extended shooting (though how many extra batteries can you buy for the price of the grip), or do portrait work.
06-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

If I'm running anything the size of the FA 31mm or smaller, then I definitely keep the grip off. However, like others have mentioned, if I'm shooting with a larger lens (e.g., 70-200mm f/2.8), or a flash the grip is an absolute must. I especially find it to be a prerequisite when shooting with a flash mounted.

I use to use AAs in the grip, but the weight is so much heavier that I just use the OEM battery in it now.