Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Digital Camera Info K-5 review

Pentax K-5 Digital Camera Review - DigitalCamerainfo.com

Didn't read it with the care i'd give to, say, my tax forms, but it seems find the K-5 has noisy images, 7 stops DR and poor SR. But great resolution and color accuracy.

Sorry if i'm reading it wrong.

Last edited by conradj; 06-10-2011 at 07:54 AM.
06-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The K-5’s overall sharpness was significantly better than both the D7000, which uses an identical sensor, and the 7D, which has a two megapixel head start.

“Supporting” elements like image stabilization, dynamic range, and white balance were all a little disappointing.

I do not get it, the DR is little disappointing? and overall sharpness is siginificatly better than d7000?
06-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Blah Blah, another Nikon fanboy trying to find the slightest thing to bitch about on the K-5. This review credits 'two thumb' operation of left and right of camera back as being superior where other reviews consider any buttons to the left of the LCD to be 'amateur'. More lenses for Nikon it says... how many bloody lenses are you going to use mate? and further, how many are crappy consumer zooms and plastic primes that no -one wants to use? I'll put my arsenal of Pentax primes and zooms up against anything in their price range. I'd even put some of them up against Canon L series and the best of the German glass. and at a fraction of the cost.

I even read one review where the D7k was rated a 9/10 where the K-5 was rated a 6/10 in the same mag. Some reviewers are obviously totally blinded by their Nikon love or are in the wrong profession.

The K-5 is very likely the best APSC camera ever produced to this point in time ( the D7k is a wonderful camera and a worthy contender, and the the 7d the previous heavyweight champ, but costs almost twice the price)

Some people just can't seem to stomach the fact that Pentax has trumped Canikon this time around.

Last edited by wizofoz; 06-10-2011 at 08:43 AM.
06-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
dmc
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Blah Blah, another Nikon fanboy trying to find the slightest thing to bitch about on the K-5. This review credits 'two thumb' operation of left and right of camera back as being superior where other reviews consider any buttons to the left of the LCD to be 'amateur'. More lenses for Nikon it says... how many bloody lenses are you going to use mate? and further, how many are crappy consumer zooms and plastic primes that no -one wants to use? I'll put my arsenal of Pentax primes and zooms up against anything in their price range. I'd even put some of them up against Canon L series and the best of the German glass. and at a fraction of the cost.

I even read one review where the D7k was rated a 9/10 where the K-5 was rated a 6/10 in the same mag. Some reviewers are obviously totally blinded by their Nikon love or are in the wrong profession.

The K-5 is very likely the best APSC camera ever produced to this point in time ( the D7k is a wonderful camera and a worthy contender, and the the 7d the previous heavyweight contender, but costs almost twice the price)

Some people just can't seem to stomach the fact that Pentax has trumped Canikon this time around.

I agree.

06-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

...???? they're basing their review with the supplied 18-55wr kit lens??????
fwiw, this supplied kit lens is more a 'throw in' with the k-5 package..... imho it's doing the k-5 an injustice.....
perhaps all these 'talking head' reviews, for the canikons of the world, all test with the
supplied 'kit' lenses... i don't know the quality of these... but it does not accurately represent the capabilities of any dslr... it's really giving short shrift to them....
like wizofoz mentioned.... have the reviewer slap on a limited pentax lens and give the k-5 a proper once over....
that's why pf is invaluable... we get real world experiences and expertise in evaluating our dslrs and lenses, whether pentax or otherwise....
i'd use most 'outsider' dlsr reviews to line the cage of my parakeet.... but... that might offend them....(the parakeets that is)

Last edited by dcmsox2004; 06-10-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: edit
06-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
It looks like they lucked out with a really excellent sample of the WR kit lens, hence the great resolution findings. Mine from 2 years ago is no slouch (after returning the first 2 for issues stemming from assembly) but theirs seem to have much better wide angle rez, not to mention better corner and CA performance.

Let's hope Pentax is making them better these days. If that's true i might go for a body w/kit lens when i finally dump my K-7 for the K-5. Any anecdotal info abt current samples of the kit lens?

i usually enjoy reading DCI's reviews and this one seems quite informative also, tho as usual slanted for newbie users and contain some quite odd observations mebbe because of that.

Their SR testing uses a machine to shake the camera, great for standardization but might not match up with real world usage.

The ergonomic observations and preferences i can filter out since i know what i like.

Find their long exposure observations interesting; nobody else seems to do much detail testing of that. Out to 30s they find oversaturation, a lot of noise with predominant red noise. i expect the noise findings are because of Pentax's choices in JPEG processing so doesn't affect me as i shoot RAW, but does tell me something abt what i can expect from the RAW file.

i don't get the DR results tho.

EDIT: in case anyone cares; i've a lot of used older Pentax zooms, from M to FA, and find that the 18-55WR i have is actually a better lens than a lot of them, at least insofar as i find its optical behavior predictable and repeatable and so not a difficult lens to use close to its limits.

Last edited by conradj; 06-10-2011 at 09:08 AM.
06-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Actually I found the review to be fairly, well..... fair. Although, as in most reviews, there were several places where they say one thing but then conclude the opposite. I did find the noise conclusions to be odd, since most other reviews seem to conclude the K-5 is a strong performer here. Possibly something about their testing method?? Also, the DR results seemed at odds with other reviews.

I did find this part highly amusing:

"Finally, we can’t help but feel like the K-5 suffers from a slight identity crisis. For a camera of this quality and capability, the pricing is aggressive, which seems to indicate a target audience of DSLR first-timers or early enthusiasts. Yet the omission of in-camera help is boggling. In terms of sheer power, the K-5 is a fine choice for budding photographers, as long as there’s an expert nearby to help out. For everyone else, the K-5 is an accurate, sharp camera with phenomenal handling and strong low light performance."

So, basically they feel the camera is priced too low for the features. And because it is so inexpensive (compared to Canikon) it should have in-camera help because (since it is cheap) only total newbies would buy it. Maybe they did not notice that this is Pentax's flagship.
06-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I do find it a weird review, but it is not the first one. All of the magazines here in Holland said that is a fantastic camera, except one. Which said it's image was not up to the competition, and that noise was below average.
I think it must have something to do with the camera they get from the distributor to test. If they get one that is a bit faulty, then yes the results will also be like that. If they all get the same camera, well then you could really question their testing methods.

And yes their conclusion for whitebalans is very odd, as in all the tests I have seen sofar, the auto whitebalans is the best there is (already on the K-7)