Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is the slight possibility that the reason the camera is in Japan is because perhaps Pentax wanted to have the camera in their lab for analysis. After all, none of the new cameras are supposed to exhibit the stain issue.

On the other hand, the OPs dealer should have taken care of the issue by either providing a new camera or a loaner.

06-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks for the constructive reply George (and thanks to everyone else who posted constructive replies.)

QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
After all, none of the new cameras are supposed to exhibit the stain issue.
Interesting thought, but mine wasn't new - it was manufactured in October, which was well before the issue was discovered. The stains didn't appear until early April.

QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
On the other hand, the OPs dealer should have taken care of the issue by either providing a new camera or a loaner.
They asked Pentax if they could replace it with their own stock and were told as it was 4 months old, they'd have to eat the difference - I don't fault them for that. It was well outside their exchange policy and the exchange policy of any Pentax dealer I know of, so I'm not getting shortchanged.

I haven't asked for a loaner, but if it takes longer than the two (more) weeks, I will.

Thanks again.
06-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #18
Forum Member

I'm enjoying this!

The foofaraw over whether Japan is a continent, is part of one, or not has been very amusing. It reminds me of the donnybrooks we on the copy desk of the old Chicago Daily News used to get into over questions like this. Sometimes we came close to fisticuffs. Sometimes it was amazing that we ever got the newspaper out. But the quarrels kept our minds clear and limber.
06-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Karl Stevens Quote
Well, perhaps you could offer a recommendation for me? Specifically, which one(s) have a replacement policy that extends four months? All dealers of which I'm aware have a replacement policy measured in weeks, not months.

That is indeed excellent service - but your post really does me no good unless you are willing to name the company that will courier replacement cameras, based solely on your word, four months after purchase.
SRS Microsystems. Excellent Company!

06-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #20
nah

Photos: Gallery
I have nothing but terrible things to say about Pentax Canada repairs.
06-14-2011, 05:59 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
SRS Microsystems. Excellent Company!
So - your suggestion is for me is to purchase from a different country, and end up with a camera that has no warranty where I live?

Incidentally, their website says that they have no exchange policy, except that which is afforded by UK law - specifically you get 7 days from when you take delivery to return it. So tell me - when your courier arrived, what colour was the unicorn he was riding?