Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
My K5 is in Japan!?!??!!?

OK, so I originally thought my K5 was unaffected by the sensor stain issue. However after recording some video, the sensor stain manifested itself. In April 16, I took it to my dealer, who said they needed to send it to Ontario for repair. OK, that's not a surprise. (I'm in western Canada.)

It's been nearly 8 weeks, so I call my dealer on Wednesday. They tell me that they need to contact Pentax to find out the status.

Today, they tell me that they spoke to Pentax service, who sent the camera to JAPAN for service, and it will be another two weeks before it's returned.

This floored me - they needed to send it to Japan!??!?! Has anyone else heard anything like this? Why on earth would they need to send it to another continent for service?

06-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing I can think of is that they are replacing the sensor rather than replacing the camera. Patience (don't you just hate it when somebody says that?), the camera is probably in good hands and 30 minutes after you have it back, you'll forget you ever had a problem.

06-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

My K-5's in for repair (not stain-related) and it's killing me! I can't freakin' wait to get it back!

/rant
06-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I had a DA 16-45mm sent to CRIS, which shipped it to Japan. It was back in a month and a half or so.

06-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #5

I'm in western Canada too, and I just sent in my K5 to Pentax Canada. Apparently, they replaced the sensor in Toronto. I've got it back now, but time will tell. You gotta wonder about those guys. I had 2 SDM repairs on my 16-50 and 50-135. One was sent to Japan, and the other was done in Toronto.(8 months ago, and the SDM is going again....but that's another thread....) I do find it kinda odd, that they could do my sensor, but couldn't do yours. hmmmm
06-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In Germany is a Body change normal,never a sensor change.
Sensor change needs approx. 4 hours and is to expensive.
Why they send your K-5 to Japan is a big question for me.
Best regards,Andy
06-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A decent dealer will replace your camera. Buy from a decent dealer next time.

My first K-5 was faulty. My dealer sent out a replacement via a courier who picked up the faulty one at the same time. I was without a K-5 for approximately 30 seconds.
06-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Don't be silly. Of course it's not in Japan. Just that they need an excuse since nothing has been done. Not the 1st time with Pentax Canada.

06-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
A decent dealer will replace your camera. Buy from a decent dealer next time.
Well, perhaps you could offer a recommendation for me? Specifically, which one(s) have a replacement policy that extends four months? All dealers of which I'm aware have a replacement policy measured in weeks, not months.

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
My first K-5 was faulty. My dealer sent out a replacement via a courier who picked up the faulty one at the same time. I was without a K-5 for approximately 30 seconds.
That is indeed excellent service - but your post really does me no good unless you are willing to name the company that will courier replacement cameras, based solely on your word, four months after purchase.
06-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Japan will no doubt be pleased to learn it has been upgraded to "continent" status.
06-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Japan will no doubt be pleased to learn it has been upgraded to "continent" status.
Yeah, I imagine they would. Just for my own information, could you tell me when it happened? I must have missed it on the news.
06-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

What the OP said is 100% correct: "This floored me - they needed to send it to Japan!??!?! Has anyone else heard anything like this? Why on earth would they need to send it to another continent for service?"

His K-5 was indeed sent to another continent for service (sent from North America to Asia).

His statement does not in any way imply that Japan is a continent.
06-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
What the OP said is 100% correct: "This floored me - they needed to send it to Japan!??!?! Has anyone else heard anything like this? Why on earth would they need to send it to another continent for service?"

His K-5 was indeed sent to another continent for service (sent from North America to Asia).
Incorrect. It was sent to an Asian country, but not to the continent of Asia.

QuoteQuote:
His statement does not in any way imply that Japan is a continent.
There are only two logical conclusions possible from the original post:

1. Japan is a continent.
2. Japan is part of the Asian continent.

Neither is true. But I will alter my smart-aleck response, if it will make you happy:

Japan will no doubt be surprised to learn they have been shoved westward and have merged with the continent.
06-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Incorrect. It was sent to an Asian country, but not to the continent of Asia.

Japan is certainly considered part of the continent of Asia. There is no requirement that all the land within a given continent be contiguous.

From the dictionary:

Definition of ASIA

continent of the eastern hemisphere N of equator forming a single landmass with Europe (the conventional dividing line between Asia & Europe being the Ural Mountains & main range of the Caucasus Mountains); has numerous large offshore islands including Cyprus, Sri Lanka, Malay Archipelago, Taiwan, the Japanese chain, & Sakhalin area 17,139,445 square miles (44,391,162 square kilometers)

Last edited by dgaies; 06-12-2011 at 08:09 AM.
06-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #15

I found the dreaded stains on my k-5, early production model, and frankly I'm very happy I did and I'm living in Finland. Within three days I was told I could pick my camera up, and it turned out to be a completely new body. The one I had was already 8 months! This one got a 52 week warranty and, best of all, this is really a better camera when it comes to AF performance.
AF is finally spot on or very near even without corrections, even with the Tamron lenses that have failed to focus with three (four) previous Pentax bodies.
My new K-5 is manufactured in March, the previous was August-Septemberr 2010. This seems an indication that there has been some silent progress regarding the hardware quality (the FW was updated on the old body too).