Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #136
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rubbertoe Quote
After reading all this thread and the others regarding pentax k5 problems I am getting very reluctant to buy such a highly regarded camera with so many users reporting problems.
I fully see your point, but you have to bear in mind that the quality control issues -- while annoying -- will not be affecting you once your copy is good. There is a good chance that your copy will be good straight away and if it is not, it will only take a short time of warranty repairs.

With your purchase you are making a system decision and the K-5 plus the Pentax lenses have a lot going for them. I would not let any QC issues influence such an important decision. If it all, you'll have to invest a few weeks that you may or may not have invested with another camera (no guarantees and remember that Nikon D7000 hot pixels are permanent).

Don't get yourself detracted by many negative posts and, perhaps, a bit of a shoddy QC period. I'm confident that Ricoh will tighten up the QC. Go for the K-5, I'm sure you won't regret it, in particular not in the long run.

10-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rubbertoe Quote
Hi: I just joined this forum a couple of days ago. I had decided to buy a k5 some time back and have been reading reviews etc, on dpreview and amazon. After reading all this thread and the others regarding pentax k5 problems I am getting very reluctant to buy such a highly regarded camera with so many users reporting problems. I am kind of exhausted reading up on the k5 and therefore have not put much time into looking at nikon d7000 and some canons but I don't seem to see such a proliferation of complaints on the forums concerning these cameras. I do not know much at all about photography yet but have to wonder why such enthusiasm for such a buggy camera?
Reading the dpreview on the d7000 and canon7d and k5 all I see with my limited knowledge different is the high iso performance of the k5 and maybe button and menu layout. I am not really ineterested in video performance. In finishing this post I must say I am beginning to wonder why I should buy an expensive camera with the likelyhood of sending it back multiple times for repair.
Any help from some of you experienced k5 users I will appreciate. There must be some of you who don't have such horror stories!
A good K5 is a beautifult thing.
I happen to have one.
Having said that, I do think the K5 has found significantly more ways to break on it's owners than any other camera. Even if it hasn't, there are still more issues with the K5 than is acceptable.
At least in my mind.

Here's the worst that can happen.
You buy a K5 and it has something wrong with it.
You send it back and get another one.
It's good for a while, and then something goes wrong.
So you send it for warranty service.
A month to 6 weeks later, you have your camera back, but it isn't fixed right.
And you've discovered another fault.
Back to repair.
Six to eight weeks later, it's back.
And it's been made right.
Until a few months later when something else goes wrong.

This is probably the one in ten thousand cameras where everything is on the wrong end of tolerance.

It's more likely that you'll get a camera that is either to spec or not far enough off to matter all that much, just not by as great a % as it should be.
10-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #138

QuoteOriginally posted by jcp5 Quote
rtpguy ---CRIS received it on 9/22 and shipped back on 9/29. So they had it for 7 business days. Have not got it back yet. Nothing new just
Mirror flop/LR Button/Front E-Dial/ 2 exposures for 1 Shutter button press/ AF Focus Adjust/ Spot on VF Focus screen out of the box. CRIS should be good at all this by now. I am sure they "ironed out" all my K5 problems.

Purchased K5 in March - Serial no. 394***
Thanks for that - some posts elsewhere made it sound like CRIS might be sending most cameras to Japan, which would explain the generally reporting 1 month for most fixes. Glad to see that's not always the case!
10-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #139
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Indeed I am not going to sell all my Pentax gear because my Lens Release button fell. I am annoyed for sure - but hey it's all realtive - I had a new vehcile where the 'service engine' light stayed on about a week after purchase - it took more than a half a dozen trips to the 'shop' until they finally figured out it was some sort of O2 sensor. No cost however it was several days of all day in the shop T'is the nature of any mass produced product - I took some of the best shots I have ever taken on a recent trip and while the majority reason was the location and weather conditions , the K5 was also a signifcant contributor (metering ,white balance ,Dynamic range, ISO capabilites, etc ).

10-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #140
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
McBain Camera phoned today my K5 is back !!! I will go pick it up later today - that is 3 weeks and one day round trip I am impressed (at the speed we will see what was done )
10-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #141
Site Supporter

Looks like this happened to my K5 the other day as well. Off to warranty repair it went today.
10-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #142
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K6-III Quote
Looks like this happened to my K5 the other day as well. Off to warranty repair it went today.
That sucks.
After how many lens changes, any idea?.
10-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #143
Site Supporter

Not sure how many lens changes, but for the most part either my Tamron 17-50 F2.8 or Pentax 35mm F2.4 stay on my camera depending on how portable I want my camera to be that day.

10-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #144
Site Supporter

Interested to see the turnaround time, hope all goes well.
10-30-2011, 04:30 AM   #145
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Having said that, I do think the K5 has found significantly more ways to break on it's owners than any other camera. Even if it hasn't, there are still more issues with the K5 than is acceptable. At least in my mind.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This is probably the one in ten thousand cameras where everything is on the wrong end of tolerance. It's more likely that you'll get a camera that is either to spec or not far enough off to matter all that much, just not by as great a % as it should be.
I think that sums it up perfectly. I haven't been through the ringer yet, apart from a brief taste of the issues due to having purchased a below-spec copy, combined with a questionable action on the part of the seller. I sort of wish I hadn't gotten near the merry-go-round at all, but the fact is I'm tired of not being able to use my Pentax glass in the lighting conditions that I want to use it in. And I've been wanting to get a telephoto zoom, to be used hand-held, and I need those high ISO's.
11-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #146
Site Supporter

Well, it looks like my K-5 is repaired and set to get back to me on the 8th. That makes 3 weeks seem about right. I'll report as to the quality of the repair when I get it.

In the meantime, snagged myself a Sony NEX-3 with Pentax PK adapter (with aperture control) and have been enjoying it immensely with my regular compliment of lenses.
11-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #147

This happened to me the other day. i think it has more to do with how your camera is stored in your bag. I shoot adaptalls entirely, so I haven't had to use the lens release button in a month or so, but yesterday i was cycling and stopped several times to take pictures, which requires taking my camera out of the bag and putting it back in. one of the dividers in my bag rubs up against the camera about where the lens release button is and I have the feeling that's what led to it falling off. unfortunately I didn't notice it at the time and it is not in my bag so I'm without a lens release button. I'm considering machining a new one out of aluminum rather than sending the camera in and be without it for several weeks.
11-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #148
Site Supporter

Just remember to install a new gasket on the button if you're machining your own, as it is part of the weather-sealing for the body.
11-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #149
Veteran Member

Maybe a new laptop is in my future instead of a K-5. My K200D is build like a tank. I'd freak out for real if I had problems like this from a $1200 camera.
11-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #150
Site Supporter

I continue to watch this thread with interest (well the relevent bits anyway).I'm still planning on getting my K5 before Christmas but it's good to be aware that there might be issues, naturally I'd rather there wasn't and would feel happier about handing over my money if every one sold had been fault free.
That there are were dud cameras sold is not a surprise as you will get that with any new thing you might buy, if however the % of dud's is higher then average then that is more of a concern.
My very first SLR was a Pentax and it was faulty out of the box, the replacment never gave me a days trouble.
When I had a particular model Panasonic P&S I was so pleased with it's performance that when a later model was released I had no qualms about getting it and it was faulty from day one and away for a fortnight to get repaired.
So it's a bit of a gamble it seems, hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones.