Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave... I'd take the "broke button" K5 (and a bobby pin) along with the good K5... that way at least you don't have to carry the extra charger or batteries.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 06-15-2011 at 08:07 AM.
06-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #32
Forum Member

My lens release button fell off my K5 last week, but luckily I found it and put it back in - with the help of a tiny bit of super glue. Works fine now, but just to be on the safe side, I now have the button covered with a narrow strip of black duct tape. Did the same on my KX, just in case - losing the button would certainly be a problem.

This all happened after I had left the K5 in my car during the day and it had gotten pretty warm - thought that might have caused the button to fall out.

Interesting, I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else.
06-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

as rodney (dangerfield) said...

Its been a rough day. I got up this morning ... put on a shirt and a button fell off. I picked up my briefcase, and the handle came off. I'm afraid to go to the bathroom.
06-15-2011, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the button is held in place by an o-ring and it's slipping off by all the ins and outs of the button, that points to poor design. If it's a retaining clip, it's either plastic and it's breaking off or slipping off or it's metal and it's slipping off, again poor design. You certainly wouldn't want a metal clip bouncing around the inside of the camera so I'd be worried about it shorting out parts.

As to supergluing the button - that likely voided your warranty as it's very likely that you've just glued the button to the actual switch itself. If it's your typical SMT switch, it might eventually rip off the top of the button as they were not designed to be tugged on, just pressed on.

06-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Oh, for sure, I'm sending it in!
06-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
If the button is held in place by an o-ring and it's slipping off by all the ins and outs of the button, that points to poor design. If it's a retaining clip, it's either plastic and it's breaking off or slipping off or it's metal and it's slipping off, again poor design. You certainly wouldn't want a metal clip bouncing around the inside of the camera so I'd be worried about it shorting out parts.

As to supergluing the button - that likely voided your warranty as it's very likely that you've just glued the button to the actual switch itself. If it's your typical SMT switch, it might eventually rip off the top of the button as they were not designed to be tugged on, just pressed on.
Good advice.
06-19-2011, 04:00 AM   #37

Mine fell off too during the first weeks of ownership . Returned it to amazon.com and got a different k-5. So far so good - but very disappointed that I have to be worried in the back of my mind that this may happen again after seeing this post just now with more stories of this.
I had posted my story on this other thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/126029-installing-...se-button.html

06-20-2011, 04:47 AM   #38

I've checked my K5 and tried to see if I could (by some stupid desire to check if I had a bad button) somehow get the button to come off. I failed at that, luckily. I must say that the button does seem to have a helluva lot of spring tension behind it, like the spring having too many coils than needed. I can imagine that if the "lynchpin" were installed improperly, or if it was too weak, that button could indeed shoot out and be lost in a vacuum cleaner.
06-20-2011, 05:57 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
It does, actually--thanks.
13K here, no problems, lots of lens changes. Sorry to hear about your issues, I'd be pretty peeved if that happened to me.
07-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #40
Veteran Member

My button fell off on my K-x. I found it on the floor at home and didn't know at first what it was. Realized today, while I was out shooting, that I was missing something.
07-05-2011, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
as rodney (dangerfield) said...

Its been a rough day. I got up this morning ... put on a shirt and a button fell off. I picked up my briefcase, and the handle came off. I'm afraid to go to the bathroom.
Damn...that is scary isn't it! Maybe we need to order spares.....do they come in all sizes?

Seriously, I hate to read these stories, but you can find them in any brand of camera...on any camera Forum. Cars, computers, phones, anything that is made by man is going to have occasional defects......maybe not my K20D, it just never has showed me any defect at all. I am hoping my K5 will do as well, but if not, I will be as pissed as the OP here. We have high expectations, rightfully so.....but reality is often quite different.

I worked in the Mfg Home Industry for over 10 years.....stories there are not always just an inconvenience....furnaces and gas water heaters not vented....electrical circuits not GFCI protected as labeled.....people get hurt...people die. This is when you get outraged that QC is so weak and despite your efforts to get it improved, it remains the same.

I have no idea of what Ricoh intends to do, but coming to Pentax after the K5 and its rocky introduction, they had better be QC conscious or they will find a rough road to success...if they find success. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt....for now. Just get it right.....no rush, forget the other brands, just give us a solid and dependable product and we will sell it for you.

Best Regards!
07-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I've done some 23k exposures in the 8-9 months I've had the cam and exchanged lenses quiet a bit too. Not too annoyed except that my niece is getting married this weekend and I highly doubt I could have the cam fixed by then - alternative is to use a pin and send then cam in for repairs later.

Also, I'm wondering if I can fix it myself and without voiding the warranty. I have a dummy K-x, which is the real deal except no electronics or anything inside it. Could I cannibalize it to fix my cam? I'm not too optimistic about it but let me know if there is a way - and how to get the button off safely. Don't want to brute force and risk damaging that too.
07-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Back from China

No issues with the good K-5 (which is a good thing since my daughter commandeered the back-up K20D ;~)

I did take the precaution of rigging tape over the button, though. It looks pretty gross but I needed the peace of mind.

07-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote

There is no switch in the lens release. It is a purely mechanical assembly. Basically, it is a spring loaded pin, with an arm to pull the screw-drive in as well.
09-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Well, after 31K snaps and countless changes of lenses, my K5 lens release button has also fell off - I can not find the button though. Has anyone sent theirs back to pentax to have the button replaced or has anyone gotten pentax to send them a new button?

---