Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #91
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The Lens Release Button fell off my K5 July 4th, while I was on a muddy lakeshore. Needless to say I never found the button. Sent it to Pentax for repair/replacement under warranty (less than 3 mos old). It came back about 6 weeks later cleaned, firmware updated, button replaced and a $30 charge for the button. The charge was totally unexpected, the receipt said the warranty did not cover "damage". So far no problems with the fix, or on my 2nd k5. Good luck getting it repaired.

09-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxCats Quote
the receipt said the warranty did not cover "damage"

Say what?!
That ain't right.
09-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #93

I truly love my K-5. So much that I don't really want to be without it again for 4-6 weeks having my button repaired. I wish there was a local New England store that was qualified to fix it. Hell, I'd pay for someone to do it local if they could.
09-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #94
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxCats Quote
The Lens Release Button fell off my K5 July 4th, while I was on a muddy lakeshore. Needless to say I never found the button. Sent it to Pentax for repair/replacement under warranty (less than 3 mos old). It came back about 6 weeks later cleaned, firmware updated, button replaced and a $30 charge for the button. The charge was totally unexpected, the receipt said the warranty did not cover "damage". So far no problems with the fix, or on my 2nd k5. Good luck getting it repaired.
Honestly, don't tolerate this sort of nonsense. You don't have to, and you shouldn't. Get your money back, and don't take no for an answer.
Regards

09-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #95
Veteran Member

My K5 is about 2 months old and it suffered the same fate while I was on a 8 day photo shoot (Len Release Button fell off) Fortunatley for me I had a small screwdriver set and was able to release and change leneses.Kind of shame now that I have to send it in and be without it for "4 to 6 weeks" but what ya gonna do ? Other than the K5 prefromed flawlessly , a PIA but nohting I can do but hurry up and wait.
09-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't have the K-5, but can't the button be obtained from Pentax and just push it in yourself? Should save lots of trouble on both ends.
09-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Dave, I hate to hear that, not good news at all.You have to know Pentax has taken a beating on service expense, and surely Ricoh is not wanting to see this happen with the next model, but it doesn't make you fell any better now. Best wishes that it will be repaired quickly.
Regards!
Rupert

Wlachan....I am betting it is not that easy, but maybe someone will have the answer.

09-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Looks like the WR clone was putting too much pressure on the button and forcing the e-clip to quit. I am only guessing however.
09-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #99

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
I don't have the K-5, but can't the button be obtained from Pentax and just push it in yourself? Should save lots of trouble on both ends.
From the only pics I've seen, which were posted earlier in the thread (and I have looked for a service manual, parts breakdown without luck so far), it's not a simple 'push in' type, but a circlip that needs to be pushed onto the grooved shaft once the lens release is pushed into place. I don't see any way to get into that area without camera disassembly, although a parts breakdown or service manual pic would say for sure. It looks like the only way to the backside of the pin where the clip goes would require either removing the front lens mount assembly (not the mount itself, but the block the lens mount attaches to), IF that's possible without further disassembly (doesn't immediately seem to be), or at the very least, removal of the bottom plate...which may or may not then require further disassembly from there.

I don't doubt it's likely a quick fix for someone familiar with k7/k5 disassembly and parts in hand, but I wouldn't personally want to pull it apart if other options were available - from the few camera breakdowns I have seen, these things seem to be pretty densely populated with multiple PCBs and wiring, not to mention the dust/water seals. While I've got few issues taking nearly anything apart as well as putting it back together successfully (cars, motorcycles, computers, etc..), I wouldn't want to pull a K5 apart without any documentation in hand. I'm somewhat surprised no service manual or parts breakdown diagrams have surfaced online, if anyone knows otherwise or has been inside their K5 (or K7, same body), please speak up.
09-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #100
Veteran Member

For the front shell to come off, all other pieces have to too and can be quite a mess, especially the top. Definitely not for most consumers.
09-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Not for this customer at all ! It went into the shop today - I am away late October would love to have it back by then - sometimes miracles can happen right ?
09-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Looks like the WR clone was putting too much pressure on the button and forcing the e-clip to quit. I am only guessing however.
I have seen the insides of a K-5 that was opened up, and yes you're most certainly guessing.
09-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
For the love of god, can we have a thread on this forum without a squirrel image posted to it?
If I was any more religious, I would be singing "AMEN" in a heavenly voice at this very moment

Last edited by photocanadian; 09-27-2011 at 07:04 PM.
09-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vw_michael Quote
If I was any more religious, I would be singing "AMEN" in a heavenly voice at this very moment
Otis says he will be happy to hum a few bars of that for you.......He is not easily intimidated, in fact he is never intimidated. I think it is fairly easy to see why......Like Otis says...some have it...some don't.....
If you do, you can take that Otis challenge and call for a one on one vote........
[IMG] [/IMG]

Now, as I was about to add before the Squirrel bashing showed up.....I once tore open a lens and to this day often find those teeny tiny ball bearings in the corners of my office flooring...they just exploded out of there like they were spring loaded, maybe they were? I would never attempt to work on my camera, I can only imagine what it would look like within minutes.
Regards!
09-28-2011, 03:44 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Yep it's official, you've got a nut fetish my friend

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Otis says he will be happy to hum a few bars of that for you.......He is not easily intimidated, in fact he is never intimidated. I think it is fairly easy to see why......Like Otis says...some have it...some don't.....
If you do, you can take that Otis challenge and call for a one on one vote........
[/url] [/IMG]

Now, as I was about to add before the Squirrel bashing showed up.....I once tore open a lens and to this day often find those teeny tiny ball bearings in the corners of my office flooring...they just exploded out of there like they were spring loaded, maybe they were? I would never attempt to work on my camera, I can only imagine what it would look like within minutes.
Regards!

Last edited by photocanadian; 09-28-2011 at 04:05 AM.