Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Viewfinder doesn't match final image

While shooting around with my new K-5 this week, on many occasions I would notice an image I snapped had a crooked crop compared to what I composed in the viewfinder. It seems it will only happen randomly, while working fine part of the time. It also seems to malfunction regardless of whether or not Horizon Correction is enabled. Below, I've attached a quick snap displaying the problem. I saw all of the left corner of the station with a little room to spare in the viewfinder, and the horizon was completely horizontal. This was a handheld shot with Horizon Correction off, but I know for sure my composition wasn't that off as you see below.

Also, with this photo and many others, I've noticed much more image blur than with my K-x. With the K-x I could shoot 1/20 handheld and get a decent shot, but with the K-5 with SR enabled, I'm still finding noticeable motion blur at 1/50 and 1/60.

Will I just have to return it for a new one?

Thanks,

Kevin

06-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is completely a shot in the dark, but is it possible you have lens correction on? I wouldn't imagine it would be that far off, but it might seem to "magnify" a slight error...

Really... completely just a guess...
06-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Put the cam on a tripod and do several repeatable tests. Note down on a piece of paper precisely what you see in the viewfinder and camera settings for each shot. Take different lenses and repeat the procedure and take it from there.

Greetings
06-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My K10D took shots tilted in the other direction. One member said I was turning the camera while pressing the shutter button, but that wasn't it.

My K-5 has a minor left rotation sometimes. I guess it could be pressing the button but I think because of the SR the sensor has a tendancy to twist.

06-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I had my K-5 serviced for exactly the same problem. You can see the sample photos in my profile album. The tilt always occurred only in horizontal position, never in in portrait or upside-down position. The subject was always level with view finder guides and edges. I was not using the horizon correction or sensor position adjustments. After being serviced this particular problem has not returned. Service report said the sensor was adjusted.

But now I have had occasional double images at 1/100s shutter speed, like a real bad shake in vertical direction (repeatable until powering down the camera, while no doubling was visible at 1/40s or 1/160s). This happened even with SR off.

Also sometimes SR seems to totally fail, giving an extremely blurred picture with Stabilized value "5" in Photome EXIF, instead of the usual "Ready" or "Not ready". EDIT: the SR was ready in those cases, with stabilizing times in 2-4 sec range.

My K5 (second body, replaced for stains and then serviced) is also subjectively giving worse, softer IQ than my old K200D, both in jpg and raw, even when using Limited lenses. I've shot hundreds of test pictures while trying to nail down the various problems with the camera. Yesterday I was trying to find AF correction for kit lens shooting a flat target and found out the critical focus is at +10 when shooting @18mm close distance but goes to zero correction when approaching infinity.

I've been trying to like the K5, but feel like I'm wasting time using it when the old K200D is a lot more consistent performer. I seriously suspect my current K5 is a lemon with faulty sensor mechanics but I feel I need to find a concrete, repeatable fault to get it serviced (or preferably replaced) under guarantee again.

Sorry for the rant, but K5 has taken the fun out of photography for me.

Sami

Last edited by lockheed; 06-11-2011 at 12:35 AM.