Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 03:00 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Pentax should be ashamed to have put flappy rubber doors on a $1300 body.
Nikon and Canon should be ashamed as well, since they're using such things on their top-end cameras
It's not the end of the world, but I liked the K10D/K20D's hard door better.

06-19-2011, 03:49 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Re the original post, having had a number of manual SLRs in the past, (actually, still have most of them), I've always been used to supporting the base of the camera in/on the palm of my left hand so thumb and forefinger were free for focussing. Still do it with my K20D.

That said, my first impression of the K5 was 'too small for me'.
06-19-2011, 05:21 AM   #33
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
K5 was 'too small for me'
Although I didn't think so I often find my little finger hanging off the edge of the camera body when this wasn't happening with the K20D. My solution was the D-BG4 grip. Makes the K-5/7 feel more 'complete and firm in my hands.
06-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Pentax should be ashamed to have put flappy rubber doors on a $1300 body.
I think Pentax incorporated it into the design to provided better weather protection.

06-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Having grown up with manual SLR cameras, I rest the base of the camera and lens in my left hand, even with AF lenses. Old habit I suppose. I still use a lot of MF lenses so my hands naturally go to the focusing ring of the lens. The lens that is causing me trouble on my K10D is the DA 40. I find myself shooting one handed with it as the lens isn't where it would normally be and I'm still not used to it yet. I've had a issue of my finger showing up in the frame with that lens. My little experience with a friends K7 was pretty positive as far as ergonomics go. It is smaller but not something I couldn't adjust to. That said, I love the ergonomics of the K10D. It's a perfect fit for my hands.
06-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #36
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I currently shoot the k20d with grip.

I was in B&H yesterday and got a hold of the K5.

I have big hands as well but I was so blown away by the camera I was ready to work with a slightly smaller body.

I figured the k5 with a grip would be fine for my hands.

I mean I used to shoot an me super and that was small right?

In all aspects that k5 was a superior machine, I thought the k20d was a huge step up from the k100d, but the k5 makes the k20d seem like some 80s relic.

I also tried out that huge ass Nikon DS1 or whatever--the full frame monster.

I also seemed kind of behind the times in terms of ergonomics and functions, although the viewfinder was so huge and bright it was a dream.

It was hard to really concentrate though, that B&H is so crazy and full of toys that you feel like the proverbial kid in the candy store.
06-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #37

I have little hands and love the way the K-5 feels in my hands.
06-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was in Shutterbug in Portland two days ago. They are one of the few locations in my region where Pentax is actually stocked and they have a K-5 on the shelf. I have been thinking about migrating to the K-5 and while I had handled the K-7 in the past, I wanted to refresh my memory as to how it feels in the hand.

The short answer is that I had the same reaction as the OP. The camera fit my right hand pretty well, but there is no place to get a solid two hand grip with the left. I have large hands with long fingers and need just a little more surface area both sides. Vertical orientation was particularly strange. Left hand under worked pretty well, particularly with the DA lens that was mounted. My memory of the K-7 is that the accessory grip makes a world of difference, so that may the direction to go. (Another $200 to spend...)

The salesman also had a Nikon D300. That one fit very nicely into the hand. The lens mounted was a bit on the heavy side (28-300 zoom), but the package overall suited me. It is probably a good thing I did not look at the D7000.

I have to add that I was a bit disappointed with Shutterbug. I applaud them for having two K-5 in stock, but they had no K-r and only ONE Pentax lens, the DA 12-24, to go with it. They did not even have a 18-55. They are price competitive and said that they can order a lens to go with the camera, but if I am going to buy local, I prefer to have the goods in hand when I leave the store.

Steve
Yeah, I was there a month ago to check out the K-5 (which I ended up getting) and had the same feelings about inventory. I ended up calling the other stores in the area which Pentax listed as dealers. I found that ShutterBug was the only place that ACTUALLY still sold new Pentax gear. I was told that Pentax was in the process of switching representatives on the West Coast. Don't know if this is fact or fiction but it seems likely.
Hope to find Pentax stuff more available in person soon... though I do tend to buy stuff online (budget)

06-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #39
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Lots of places with a good range of stock up here in Vancouver, but their lens prices are high.