Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not love at 1st touch!

OK, I was in Jessops to pick up a couple of filters, and like any Pentax owner, I 'drifted' over to the Pentax shelves and they had a K5, so I picked it up for a look.
I really didn't like how it felt in my hands
In particular it was my left hand, it felt like it had no-where to go, on my K20D, I have that little bit extra on the left and my hand just rests comfortably.
I was a bit gutted, Im already in love with the pics from the K5 and just assumed that it would be love at first touch.
Wondering if it was a size thing, I picked up a Panny GH2, and that felt fine. Like the K20D, it to has a little bit extra on the LHS for grip..

Im shocked! I very much doubt it will stop me upgrading at some point, as I love the IQ of the K5, but I just presumed in fluffy cloud land that it would be a match made in heaven. Im sure I will get used to it, maybe Im just too used to my current Pentax, but it was the last thing I expected to feel about the K5 when I picked it up for the first time

06-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did the camera have a lens on the body? I've always put my left hand under the lens/bottom of the camera, as opposed to holding the LHS of the body...
06-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Had the kit lens on...
Next time Im in there, I will give that a go..
06-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
Forum Member

As a long time K10D owner this is something I'm afraid of when the time comes to move to a K-7/K-5 body. I have only looked at the control layouts on the newer bodies, but I can't visualize my thumbs playing over the K-7/K-5 layout as efficiently as they do over the K10/K20 controls.

I know, I should go try one and find out for myself, but there are no local Pentax dealers.

06-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #5

You get used to it after a few days. Obviously a camera that is different to what you are used to so it can't possibly feel the same Buy another K10D if you want it to feel the same

The buttons are a different matter the Green button is now in an awkward position to use when looking through the viewfinder and the Preview button is too far away.

The leap in IQ makes up for it though.... at last a camera that can be used in something other than bright sunlight
06-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Did the camera have a lens on the body? I've always put my left hand under the lens/bottom of the camera, as opposed to holding the LHS of the body...
Yeah, cradling the underside/lens is a more firm grip than pinching the left side with your hand/fingers. It naturally brings your left arm down to your chest which gives a solid brace against your body. I just got a K20d...again - I absolutely loved the ergonomics, but the K7/5 is just something new you've got to get used to - everyone is resistant to change at first! The K-5 is tuned for one handed operation really, and that does take some getting used to, but it's worth it.
06-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well then you will miss things to hold on when you put on the 40mm pancake, wich is my favorite walk-around-lens on K-5.

06-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also made the jump from K20D to K5, and indeed, the first few days of adjusting to the smaller and different layout took some getting used to. But once the familiarisation was done, I now far prefer the K5. I find it more intuitive, and much easier to use - everything I need in easy reach. In all modes, I find I can make key adjustments of aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focus mode, and green button quickly and easily without moving the camera from my eye. In fact the K20D, which I loved, now feels clunky in comparison.
06-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ahh, thats why I like this place, it is always nice to be reassured for my next bout of gadget lust...
06-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #10

I'm with the rest of them....the K5 was really awkward the first few days, but now it feels completely natural.
06-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was in Shutterbug in Portland two days ago. They are one of the few locations in my region where Pentax is actually stocked and they have a K-5 on the shelf. I have been thinking about migrating to the K-5 and while I had handled the K-7 in the past, I wanted to refresh my memory as to how it feels in the hand.

The short answer is that I had the same reaction as the OP. The camera fit my right hand pretty well, but there is no place to get a solid two hand grip with the left. I have large hands with long fingers and need just a little more surface area both sides. Vertical orientation was particularly strange. Left hand under worked pretty well, particularly with the DA lens that was mounted. My memory of the K-7 is that the accessory grip makes a world of difference, so that may the direction to go. (Another $200 to spend...)

The salesman also had a Nikon D300. That one fit very nicely into the hand. The lens mounted was a bit on the heavy side (28-300 zoom), but the package overall suited me. It is probably a good thing I did not look at the D7000.

I have to add that I was a bit disappointed with Shutterbug. I applaud them for having two K-5 in stock, but they had no K-r and only ONE Pentax lens, the DA 12-24, to go with it. They did not even have a 18-55. They are price competitive and said that they can order a lens to go with the camera, but if I am going to buy local, I prefer to have the goods in hand when I leave the store.

Steve
06-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bjdavey Quote
I also made the jump from K20D to K5, and indeed, the first few days of adjusting to the smaller and different layout took some getting used to. But once the familiarisation was done, I now far prefer the K5. I find it more intuitive, and much easier to use - everything I need in easy reach. In all modes, I find I can make key adjustments of aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focus mode, and green button quickly and easily without moving the camera from my eye. In fact the K20D, which I loved, now feels clunky in comparison.
+1 My exact experience.
06-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was in Shutterbug in Portland two days ago. They are one of the few locations in my region where Pentax is actually stocked and they have a K-5 on the shelf. I have been thinking about migrating to the K-5 and while I had handled the K-7 in the past, I wanted to refresh my memory as to how it feels in the hand.

The short answer is that I had the same reaction as the OP. The camera fit my right hand pretty well, but there is no place to get a solid two hand grip with the left. I have large hands with long fingers and need just a little more surface area both sides. Vertical orientation was particularly strange. Left hand under worked pretty well, particularly with the DA lens that was mounted. My memory of the K-7 is that the accessory grip makes a world of difference, so that may the direction to go. (Another $200 to spend...)

The salesman also had a Nikon D300. That one fit very nicely into the hand. The lens mounted was a bit on the heavy side (28-300 zoom), but the package overall suited me. It is probably a good thing I did not look at the D7000.

I have to add that I was a bit disappointed with Shutterbug. I applaud them for having two K-5 in stock, but they had no K-r and only ONE Pentax lens, the DA 12-24, to go with it. They did not even have a 18-55. They are price competitive and said that they can order a lens to go with the camera, but if I am going to buy local, I prefer to have the goods in hand when I leave the store.

Steve
Steve,

Not to minimize the lack of stock but at least you have a local place that is an authorized Pentax dealer.
06-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thethirdcoast Quote
As a long time K10D owner this is something I'm afraid of when the time comes to move to a K-7/K-5 body. I have only looked at the control layouts on the newer bodies, but I can't visualize my thumbs playing over the K-7/K-5 layout as efficiently as they do over the K10/K20 controls.

I know, I should go try one and find out for myself, but there are no local Pentax dealers.
I use the K-7 and the K-x regularly - the layout is a bit different - but I adapt automatically. Its like when you have 2 different cars and driver them both regularly - the human brain adapts to the change quickly.
06-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I still find my K-5 a bit small. I feel as if I have to fold my fingers up into a piece of oragami to operate the exposure compensation function and my left hand keeps bumping the RAW button when I hold it in portrait orientation. My nose hits the flash in portrait orientation and my forehead bumps into the AF540FGZ flash in landscape orientation. Ergonomically it is a very uncomfortable, cramped camera to use, but it does take better photos than my K10D does.

Learn to live with it I suppose.