Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #1

Things to watch for in K-7 purchase...

Since entering the Pentax world, one can not help but learn of some weaknesses in the system. I actually waited till the stain issue died out and the firmware release for the FF issue was out before buying my K-5. My body is great. I wanted a prime system so that bypassed the DA* motor issues since my lineup is all DA and FA versions.
Was not around when the K-7 was released so do not know of any hiccups that it had on release or any things that plague the model. So not wanting to diss anyone's gear, but is there anything I need to ask specifically about a K-7 body before buying one. I will be using it as a second body along with my K-5.

Thanks, Dave

06-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a comon thing with the K-7 (and other K-bodies) is that the E-dial can malfunction. But if you send it to Pentax Theys should fix it within a week (had mine back within 2 weeks, that includes the sending of the package).
And as far as I know, that is all
06-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought the K-7 when it was available here in the local store. I don't have any problem so far (3,600 actuations). I'll wait to up-grade to K-3.
06-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As mentioned. e-dial malfunction. This also happens with the K-5 so was not fixed with the new model.

I recently bought a used K-7 as a backup and use it a lot more than the K-5 which is only needed when I require the high ISO/dynamic range.

06-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
As mentioned. e-dial malfunction. This also happens with the K-5 so was not fixed with the new model.

I recently bought a used K-7 as a backup and use it a lot more than the K-5 which is only needed when I require the high ISO/dynamic range.
I'm not sure I understand why you would use the K-7 more than the K-5, since they are ergonomically the same camera and the K-5 has the better sensor. Is there something the K-7 excels at more?
06-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I'm not sure I understand why you would use the K-7 more than the K-5, since they are ergonomically the same camera and the K-5 has the better sensor. Is there something the K-7 excels at more?
Nope, the K-5 is better in every respect but most of the time the K-7 is fine for what I am shooting. Why put extra shots on the K-5 when I don't need to,
06-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Nope, the K-5 is better in every respect but most of the time the K-7 is fine for what I am shooting. Why put extra shots on the K-5 when I don't need to,
I can see u really cherish your k-5..

Last edited by liukaitc; 06-11-2011 at 03:09 PM.
06-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

The K-7 has been one of the most reliable Pentax dSLR released in last few years.

The K-x had power & battery issues.
The K-x has had some FF issues.
The K-5 had mirror stain issues and FF issues.

Nothing for the K-7.

Some users reported some pb with the edials but this has not been widespread.

Hope that the comment will help.

Last edited by hcc; 06-11-2011 at 04:43 PM.
06-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
Onward

Thanks everyone. Off to market we go for a nice K-7. Dave
06-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The green paint on the mode selector dial wears out, even if you do not use the "green" mode.
06-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
a comon thing with the K-7 (and other K-bodies) is that the E-dial can malfunction. But if you send it to Pentax Theys should fix it within a week (had mine back within 2 weeks, that includes the sending of the package).
And as far as I know, that is all
Just to show how very little I use the front dial....I've had the camera since January and it was only last night that I discovered this problem existed.

Time to hunt up my warranty and recharge the batteries for the K20D. I'm glad I didn't sell it.
06-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The K-7 has been one of the most reliable Pentax dSLR released in last few years.

The K-x had power & battery issues.
The K-x has had some FF issues.
The K-5 had mirror stain issues and FF issues.

Nothing for the K-7.

Some users reported some pb with the edials but this has not been widespread.

Hope that the comment will help.
I thought Falk has found the shutter induced blur in K-7 at around 1/100-108. However, I am not able confirm nor negate that since I usually use that shutter speed when using flash and don't really see that a problem (at least consistently). It is a very solid camera.
06-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Nothing for the K-7.
Seems like everyone's forgotten about the green line issue, which was a really big thing back then, but that was resolved with a firmware upgrade. And as long as you run your K-7 with the latest firmware, it's now not an issue.