Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Senior Member
djc737's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South jersey outside of Philly
Posts: 281
Things to watch for in K-7 purchase...

Since entering the Pentax world, one can not help but learn of some weaknesses in the system. I actually waited till the stain issue died out and the firmware release for the FF issue was out before buying my K-5. My body is great. I wanted a prime system so that bypassed the DA* motor issues since my lineup is all DA and FA versions.
Was not around when the K-7 was released so do not know of any hiccups that it had on release or any things that plague the model. So not wanting to diss anyone's gear, but is there anything I need to ask specifically about a K-7 body before buying one. I will be using it as a second body along with my K-5.

Thanks, Dave

06-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoek van Holland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,252
a comon thing with the K-7 (and other K-bodies) is that the E-dial can malfunction. But if you send it to Pentax Theys should fix it within a week (had mine back within 2 weeks, that includes the sending of the package).
And as far as I know, that is all
06-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg MB
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 346
I bought the K-7 when it was available here in the local store. I don't have any problem so far (3,600 actuations). I'll wait to up-grade to K-3.
06-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Mike.P's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Coast .. UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,758
As mentioned. e-dial malfunction. This also happens with the K-5 so was not fixed with the new model.

I recently bought a used K-7 as a backup and use it a lot more than the K-5 which is only needed when I require the high ISO/dynamic range.

06-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian
v5planet's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Seattle
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,913
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
As mentioned. e-dial malfunction. This also happens with the K-5 so was not fixed with the new model.

I recently bought a used K-7 as a backup and use it a lot more than the K-5 which is only needed when I require the high ISO/dynamic range.
I'm not sure I understand why you would use the K-7 more than the K-5, since they are ergonomically the same camera and the K-5 has the better sensor. Is there something the K-7 excels at more?
06-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Mike.P's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Coast .. UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,758
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I'm not sure I understand why you would use the K-7 more than the K-5, since they are ergonomically the same camera and the K-5 has the better sensor. Is there something the K-7 excels at more?
Nope, the K-5 is better in every respect but most of the time the K-7 is fine for what I am shooting. Why put extra shots on the K-5 when I don't need to,
06-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member
liukaitc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,008
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Nope, the K-5 is better in every respect but most of the time the K-7 is fine for what I am shooting. Why put extra shots on the K-5 when I don't need to,
I can see u really cherish your k-5..

Last edited by liukaitc; 06-11-2011 at 03:09 PM.
06-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,531
The K-7 has been one of the most reliable Pentax dSLR released in last few years.

The K-x had power & battery issues.
The K-x has had some FF issues.
The K-5 had mirror stain issues and FF issues.

Nothing for the K-7.

Some users reported some pb with the edials but this has not been widespread.

Hope that the comment will help.


Last edited by hcc; 06-11-2011 at 04:43 PM.
06-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
djc737's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South jersey outside of Philly
Posts: 281
Original Poster
Onward

Thanks everyone. Off to market we go for a nice K-7. Dave
06-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,296
The green paint on the mode selector dial wears out, even if you do not use the "green" mode.
06-11-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Mike Cash's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Japan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,952
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
a comon thing with the K-7 (and other K-bodies) is that the E-dial can malfunction. But if you send it to Pentax Theys should fix it within a week (had mine back within 2 weeks, that includes the sending of the package).
And as far as I know, that is all
Just to show how very little I use the front dial....I've had the camera since January and it was only last night that I discovered this problem existed.

Time to hunt up my warranty and recharge the batteries for the K20D. I'm glad I didn't sell it.
06-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The K-7 has been one of the most reliable Pentax dSLR released in last few years.

The K-x had power & battery issues.
The K-x has had some FF issues.
The K-5 had mirror stain issues and FF issues.

Nothing for the K-7.

Some users reported some pb with the edials but this has not been widespread.

Hope that the comment will help.
I thought Falk has found the shutter induced blur in K-7 at around 1/100-108. However, I am not able confirm nor negate that since I usually use that shutter speed when using flash and don't really see that a problem (at least consistently). It is a very solid camera.
06-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member
pop4's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: YMML
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,877
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Nothing for the K-7.
Seems like everyone's forgotten about the green line issue, which was a really big thing back then, but that was resolved with a firmware upgrade. And as long as you run your K-7 with the latest firmware, it's now not an issue.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, dslr, issue, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k-7, k5, pentax k-5, release, system
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone watch Flashforward? jct us101 General Talk 12 05-06-2010 08:04 PM
Macro K-x testing - watch this timo4352 Post Your Photos! 6 02-07-2010 05:50 PM
Anyone watch Supernatural? Vertex Ninja Pentax Film SLR Discussion 14 11-25-2009 10:07 PM
Looking for a new watch -- suggestions? pingflood General Talk 79 09-27-2009 08:24 AM
Watch that First Step! ThorThum Post Your Photos! 2 09-14-2009 02:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top