Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My new K-5, mode dial doesn't always lock...

So I just got received a new K-5 as a birthday present from my wonderful wife, and one odd thing is that the mode dial doesn't consistently lock for all positions. Specifically, Av, Tv, Sv, P, and Green don't usually require me to depress the unlock button in the center, i.e. a very minimal (normal) amount of torque and I can move out of those modes without depressing the unlock button in the center. I assume this is abnormal behavior?

06-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
yes its abnormal, but lucky you the button is a pain in the arse and not necessary.
06-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

THis lock is great and needed
06-12-2011, 06:55 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
So I just got received a new K-5 as a birthday present from my wonderful wife, and one odd thing is that the mode dial doesn't consistently lock for all positions. Specifically, Av, Tv, Sv, P, and Green don't usually require me to depress the unlock button in the center, i.e. a very minimal (normal) amount of torque and I can move out of those modes without depressing the unlock button in the center. I assume this is abnormal behavior?
Yes, it is abnormal. Mine locks fine. In fact, I hardly ever move out of User mode. All 5 user modes are sufficient.

06-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
yes its abnormal, but lucky you the button is a pain in the arse and not necessary.
The mode dial is one of the best features added to the k-7... on my K10D it can easily be changed without noticing it especially when changing hands (asking someone to take a picture for me).
06-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Werticus. The lock could have had a function on k10/K20 where the dial was more exposed, but it's only a nuisance on the K7/K5 where the dial sits deeper to begin with. I've been thinking about how to glue it in the permanent "down" position.