Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-5 water test

Standing in about 2-3 feet of ocean water and a wave of salt water comes up and splashes my K-5. What should I expect? Could the k-5 handle it?

06-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
depends on the salinity of the water
06-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The salt water will not cause permanent damage immediately, but do not let it sit without rinsing.

Your camera will survive quite well from splashing water, rain, hotel shower, etc...
On the other hand, if a large curl drops over your head, the pressure may cause leakage.

Not sure how to best get salt water off your equipment, (dunking is good for scuba gear but NOT for your K5!!) I am guessing pouring water lightly such as from a water bottle, or from a hose on very low pressure would do well.
06-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What lens do you have mounted?

06-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
using 18-55 WR
06-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would walk up to the boardwalk and get a cup of drinking water, then pour it over your camera... sit back and watch the looks you get from people. hehehe
06-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
I would walk up to the boardwalk and get a cup of drinking water, then pour it over your camera... sit back and watch the looks you get from people. hehehe
Yes!! do it!!! But first look for tourists with Canikon products!! Then please post the reactions!

Speaking of the psot subject, I recently was taking pictures on an Open Water swimming competition, and my camera got lightly sprayed with water and some sand. I took it to the pool showers and clean it in front of a guy with a Canon (I think a 60D, it was big...as most of the Canons! lol)...he gave me the look!: WTF!!! lol....it great to have a Pentax!
06-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
Forum Member

I live near the ocean and have found from sad experience that sea water is terribly corrupting. I would keep the lens on and try to rinse and wipe all exposed parts of your camera with distilled.

While the other answers are correct, e.g. the salinity of the water, my advice would be unless your a professional with the correct protective devices, never take your camera into the water. It's too easy to get knocked down by a wave or a surfing child. I also do not switch lenses on the beach. There is usually some wind blowing the sand. If you must take more than one lens, leave the spare in your car and return to your car (with doors and windows closed) to make lens changes. I try to take one lens today and another tomorrow so I am not tempted to switch.

Good luck. I truly hope you've done no damage.

Ed
Ocean City, MD

06-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/146790-weather...ml#post1533925

All my Pentax Bodys loved it.
K10,K-7 and all 4 K-5 Bodys.....till today.....no Problem.