Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote
She would be hurt to learn that the camera that she gifted me has 'issues' and the all the ones that I ever bought, never had any problem...
That just makes no sense!

It will be worse when she finds out that you were afraid of telling her and allowed a very expensive and emotionally significant anniversary gift go to waste. She will possibly think you do not appreciate the gift and therefore her - trust me, I've been married for a while and you don't want to embark down that treacherous road as a newlywed.

As far as the big picture goes, this is no different than having a automotive recall or having to call a computer manufacturer to replace components.

She will appreciate that you care about it enough to do it.

06-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well when you give your wife some nice shoes and the heel brakes, you would want it to be repaired to enjoy it again for what the gift was ment to be.

So send in the K-5, it's just a little technical thing.
06-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #18

Oh No! An anniversary gift! You should definitely get it repaired and sleep on that decision.
When it comes back fixed your problem is solved. Do a good job explaining the problem in you paperwork to Pentax service and tell them if they are not confident in their ability to repair you want a replacement camera. You should also mention it was an anniversary gift for your first. If the service tech is married it should help. I would tell your wife. It's not that big a deal. If you had chosen another camera initially it could have had a problem to. Can't predict that after the fact.

Last edited by jcp5; 06-13-2011 at 12:43 PM.
06-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #19

Original Poster
I was not talking about selling the K5....only the lenses...I can not sell it as its a gift...all I want is the shutter problem to be fixed by some firmware update or so..and not send it out for repair....I would not sell by DA8s and use them on my K5...I might not buy another Pentax DSLR until the QC issues are resolved.

06-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #20

Original Poster
JCP5..thast what I intend to do. Call them up and explain the situation. lets see what happens.
06-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #21

Ah we don't have a camera issue, we have a relationship issue :-) I can understand your reluctance, she will be disappointed to learn that her gift doesn't work right because she knows it means a lot to you.

But the camera isn't the important part. If you share your disappointment it will give her opportunity to understand you better. Then you can talk it through, and I guarantee she will ask you to send it in for repair or replacement and you'll both be happier in the long run.

I don't claim to be an expert after 12 years of marriage but, I have been down this path before in just one of my many "learning experiences." (In other words I have screwed up plenty.)
06-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I was not talking about selling the K5....only the lenses...I can not sell it as its a gift...all I want is the shutter problem to be fixed by some firmware update or so..and not send it out for repair....I would not sell by DA8s and use them on my K5...I might not buy another Pentax DSLR until the QC issues are resolved.
Could you please explain how selling your lenses will fix this situation at all? If you want to downsize your collection of glass, that's one thing, and I'm sure (looking at your profile) that they will find many happy new homes, but...

That has nothing at all to do with your K-5 being broken. You are in possession of a defective copy of a great camera. Your warranty should still be valid. Therefore you should have your defective product repaired under warranty or replaced by the vendor. This is not even remotely complicated.

You are concerned about your wife's feelings being hurt. Your "solution" is to mothball the gift she lovingly bought for you altogether and sell off most of the lenses you own so that even if it miraculously started working again you would have less reason to use it at all. Frankly, if I were your wife I would find that extremely offensive. Instead of doing the simple thing you need to do to enjoy the gift she bought for you, you are getting melodramatic and trying to effectively dump the camera and the Pentax system altogether. Wow.

Here's another analogy. Let's say you bought your wife a beautiful new TV. A couple days into using it while you weren't around your wife discovers it won't display anything but static. Rather than having it replaced or repaired -- things she is entitled to either by way of vendor return policy or manufacturer's warranty, incidentally -- she decides she doesn't want to hurt your feelings by letting you know that this particular TV rolled off the assembly line with a defect. So what does she do? Well, she decides never to use the TV again, and in fact, what she'll do instead is sell the TV room couch... and the DVD player, and cancel the cable service. And when she wants to watch TV what she'll do is load up hulu.com or netflix.com on her computer, or drag the old cathode ray tube television set from the 90s out of the basement and slap some bunny ears on it.

Do you see what I'm getting at? That doesn't make any sense at all. Just get it repaired -- your wife will be happy when she sees you happily using your great (and fixed) camera.

06-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I think if I gave someone a Pentax body and it didn't work, I'd be more upset if they sold off most of their Pentax gear because of it so they didn't have to have the camera repaired. Besides, what are you going to do with a broken K-5?

Just get it fixed or replaced so she can see you enjoying it.
06-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is just joking right? You're afraid to get your camera repaired..... first of all dude.. you're lying to your wife, your not telling her it's broken. I guess in your warped mind that's OK.... Second, your wife didn't make the camera... she bought it. It's not like it's her favorite cake recipe... what's wrong with you?

damn I hate it when I respond to posts like this. It makes me feel cheap. I'm going to have a shower.
06-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone who purchases as much gear as yourself is bound to have a dud. Those are the odds.
06-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Plus, she only bought you the K5 at your request. Her gift-choosing ability is not at issue here. She bought what you wanted, I'm pretty sure she wants you to be able to use it.
06-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Firmware won't fix your camera. It is defective. Have it repaired under warranty. I don't understand how this affects your relationship. It's a thing that doesn't work. Get it fixed for free and enjoy it.
06-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We have some very sensible and astute members here (InlawBiker, V5planet - I'm tipping my hat to you), and there is also a good deal of head-scratching going on.

Since you asked for advice: sell all your Canon and Nikon gear and buy your spouse something she really likes/ wants but is holding off on (maybe go scuba diving in Palau?). After that's done, ask yourself if it's "worth" sending in the K-5 for repair, or rather to sell it at a major loss along with all the primes!?

Seriously, this isn't so much about the camera malfunctioning or your wife being disappointed with the camera she bought you... I think you've realized you have a *a lot* of (various, some incompatible) camera gear and now someone else is supporting your habit. This may make you feel a bit guilty about the new camera - now if that camera doesn't work, then you feel less guilty and have an excuse to clean out the gear closet. Nothing about Pentax vs. Nikon vs. Canon, but focus on the important things - get the K-5 repaired and sell the rest.

(I've had the same partner for 18 years - trust me, they just want you to be happy and fun to be around. Busted cameras and regret for selling Limited lenses won't help.)
06-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #29

Original Poster
Oh my my.....I got enough scoldings for the day...all by big brothers,I will take the advice and send the K5 for repair.
06-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #30

Original Poster
So how does it work...I go to pentax repair website..print the shipping label and ship it out with copy of bill and explaining the problem???? Or is there another way...???