Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #1

Moving away from Pentax...

I have been with Pentax for a good number of years..in fact my first DSLR being the DS..I have accumulated a good number of K mount lenses..over 33 of them over years...Right now I'm looking at my K5 with the shutter going off issue and thinking to myself...what have I done...Im seriously considering to sell all my primes....mint in box..all of them.. and get some money back from my investment..I have a 7D and D7K with some great lenses like the 70-200L, 12-24 Tokina, 10-22mm EF etc....what do you guys say..should I just take a chill pill and relax for some time...or just sell my primes..and keep the 16-50 and 50-135, 17-70??? Or I just store the K5 for some time and forget about it for some time...??? I know sending the k5 for repair is an option.....but its a gift from my wife..I just dont want her to know it has issues..since I was all over K5 and when she asked me if I want 5D mark II, D700 or K5..I chose the K5...!!!!!

06-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
.....U have 3 system with many great lens.....
06-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Times change, things change, I see no wrong in selling tbh.

Though I would ask if you've taken the time to consider that this would put you back to zero in terms of K-mount lenses etc.

Anyways, for what it's worth, I've never been partial to branding myself.
I shoot Pentax because it is an affordable solution to my specific needs.
However, if something better came along and I had no use for my K-mount lenses, then I'd likely sell them off too. However, I don't know if selling of some of the better glass(which we purchased prior to the price hikes) would be a wise decision in our case.
06-13-2011, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Gallery
This seems easy to me - send it in for repair. You have several nice backup cameras, maybe after using them for a while you'll find you don't miss the K-5. Or, once it comes back perfect and working correctly you'll wonder how you got along without it. I can't speak for your wife's feelings but, my wife would not be offended in the least. But she would be if I let it sit broken and unused.

06-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Ditto inlaw biker. send the k5 in for repair and assess after you get it back - you may change your mind. if not, you can always sell off your collection.
06-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems to me that your wife would be more upset if she learned you couldn't use the camera for some reason. If something is wrong with it, send it in while your warranty is still valid. This is such a no brainer to me. That is, Unless you Want to dump your Pentax stuff. I see you're a site supporter so if selling is the case, head over to the marketplace and have at it.

06-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
I really dont want her to know that it has issues. I'm looking at some posts and it may take over a month before I get it back. I'm gonna call the service guys and find out.

06-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sagiboy Quote
I really dont want her to know that it has issues. I'm looking at some posts and it may take over a month before I get it back. I'm gonna call the service guys and find out.
A month? If the camera is faulty get it replaced. My first K-5 was faulty. My dealer replaced it. Took about 30 seconds in a courier swap.
06-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Inactive Account

and when she asked me if I want 5D mark II, D700 or K5..I chose the K5...!!!!!
...what a wife!!..I don't know what to do but don't change the wife!! is she a good cook by the way?

lucky guy you are....

Andras
06-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get it repaired. Then decide if you really want to sell.
06-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #11

Original Poster
She's a great cook....gets all her recipes online and then adds her personal touch to it....the K5 was her gift on our first anniversary, 2 months ago.

QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
...what a wife!!..I don't know what to do but don't change the wife!! is she a good cook by the way?

lucky guy you are....

Andras
06-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Why keeping a broken camera?? No value if you want to resell it
My K-5 have not one single issues and it's an early one
06-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

So... You're worried that your wife might be upset if you send in a defective product to be repaired under warranty, but you're not worried that she'll notice you selling off the entire Pentax system you've accumulated...? What would hurt her feelings more: getting the item she gifted to you fixed so that you can enjoy it, or selling off an entire system so that your present can never be used? The latter seems like a HUGE rejection to me, and doesn't make any sense at all if you enjoy Pentax...
06-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #14

Original Poster
Im selling only the primes....keeping the DA*s. She would be hurt to learn that the camera that she gifted me has 'issues' and the all the ones that I ever bought, never had any problem...
06-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Im selling only the primes....keeping the DA*s. She would be hurt to learn that the camera that she gifted me has 'issues' and the all the ones that I ever bought, never had any problem...
That... still doesn't make any sense. What are you going to use your DA*s on? I'm assuming you have an older Pentax dslr, so won't your wife notice that you're using inferior old cameras when she has just purchased you a brand spanking new one?

I really don't see how selling a large fraction of your Pentax lens collection in any way solves the problem of your K-5 not working properly. If you bought your wife a new car and it wouldn't turn on, would you expect her to ride around town on a bicycle to spare your feelings? Wouldn't you be sad she wasn't using the car?