Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thank you! I appreciate your words of wisdom!

06-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I disagree with all those telling you to settle. By the time you save the coin for the K5, the price will have come down, all of the glitches will be known and worked out. So then you can decide if it's really the camera you want. I'll tell anyone who asks, Get the best you can afford to buy. At 16, living at home, unless you're paying rent and buying your own food (or have an expensive Significant Other), it shouldn't take you long to save up. Mow lawns, paint fences, do what ever you have to do to earn the money. That's the way I bought my first guitar (1979 Fender Stratocaster). The cost of it then was not unlike the cost of the K5 now and it took me about 4 months to do it.... (and yes, I still have the guitar.)

I'm not suggesting that the other cameras wouldn't serve you well but if you want the camera with the features, you won't be happy with anything less. Buying a different camera is only going to delay getting your K5. i'll never understand this upgrade path people insist on taking and suggesting (but that's probably just me).

As for a lens, for the extra $100 or so the 18-55 WR kit lens is quite adequate and will give you some range to work with. It, in my experience, in no way shape or form performs as nicely as a prime lens (single focal length) but it will get you there in most situations. The DA35 f2.4 is probably a decent lens. I don't know, never used one. The focal length is pretty good for most things. 50mm is sometimes a little long but is definitely workable. The A version of the f1.4 is fast approaching (in cost) the DA35. The M version must be used in Manual mode only which will force you to learn to use the camera. It's with THAT lens, you will really grow to appreciate the control features on the K5.

Don't overlook buying a film camera outfit or two to get some lenses. Very often, you will get the entire kit for less than the cost of the lens alone. You can then sell off what you don't want to make up some of the cash.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
06-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I disagree with all those telling you to settle. By the time you save the coin for the K5, the price will have come down, all of the glitches will be known and worked out. So then you can decide if it's really the camera you want. I'll tell anyone who asks, Get the best you can afford to buy. At 16, living at home, unless you're paying rent and buying your own food (or have an expensive Significant Other), it shouldn't take you long to save up. Mow lawns, paint fences, do what ever you have to do to earn the money. That's the way I bought my first guitar (1979 Fender Stratocaster). The cost of it then was not unlike the cost of the K5 now and it took me about 4 months to do it.... (and yes, I still have the guitar.)

I'm not suggesting that the other cameras wouldn't serve you well but if you want the camera with the features, you won't be happy with anything less. Buying a different camera is only going to delay getting your K5. i'll never understand this upgrade path people insist on taking and suggesting (but that's probably just me).

As for a lens, for the extra $100 or so the 18-55 WR kit lens is quite adequate and will give you some range to work with. It, in my experience, in no way shape or form performs as nicely as a prime lens (single focal length) but it will get you there in most situations. The DA35 f2.4 is probably a decent lens. I don't know, never used one. The focal length is pretty good for most things. 50mm is sometimes a little long but is definitely workable. The A version of the f1.4 is fast approaching (in cost) the DA35. The M version must be used in Manual mode only which will force you to learn to use the camera. It's with THAT lens, you will really grow to appreciate the control features on the K5.

Don't overlook buying a film camera outfit or two to get some lenses. Very often, you will get the entire kit for less than the cost of the lens alone. You can then sell off what you don't want to make up some of the cash.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
I DEFINATELY hear what you are saying. I have a friend with a K-r and he has the 18-55 AL WR Kit lens, and I don't like it too much.

I've looked around and I think I'm going to get the Sigma 18-50 f/ 2.8-4.5 as a lens for now, but I'll upgrade when my birthday comes around!

thank you for understanding my situation, I am stuck to the K-5!

I just remembered that I will be doing sports photos for the newspaper; would you have any specific reccomendations? Im doing Football, and Soccer (I'll need a super fast lens for that)
06-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #19
Inactive Account

I don't do a lot of sports photography (translated, None) but there are a lot of people around here who do. Ask the question in the lenses section or the general photography section. You'll likely get plenty of answers there.

That said, even with the K5, it's still a learned skill. You will probably want something in the 100mm range would be my guess so you can catch all the action. Your proximity to the action of course will be a large factor here. One lens I see recommended a lot (but have never used one) is the DA55-300. My only reservations about the lens are A: It is not fixed aperture (the maximum wide open aperture changes as you zoom which will change your exposure) and B: It's a relatively slow lens. Slow meaning, it is something like f4 to f5.6 (don't remember actual). A less expensive alternative to that would be the Tamron LD Di 70-300. That one I do have some experience with and would say it's probably good enough. The fastest you can buy (reasonably) in a zoom like that is going to run you $600+ for a Tamron (or Sigma) 70-200 f2.8. The K5 sensor is good enough that you can do a lot of cropping without losing much detail. For that matter, your Sigma 18-50 may get you what you need.

Now, since you mentioned Football (what else, in Texas, Right?) weather could become an issue (rain). A catch all Weather Resistant lens would be the DA18-135. Again, I don't know anything about this lens other than it's WR and its price hovers around $500.

Here, I would agree with what others will say. Get started with your kit, decide what it is you cannot do. What you need to fill that requirement and go from there. You could easily spend $1000s on lenses and never have the one you need. The good thing about lenses vs cameras however, if you're buying used especially, you can usually get your money out of them if you decide to pass them along.

06-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #20

Original Poster
I don't do a lot of sports photography (translated, None) but there are a lot of people around here who do. Ask the question in the lenses section or the general photography section. You'll likely get plenty of answers there.

That said, even with the K5, it's still a learned skill. You will probably want something in the 100mm range would be my guess so you can catch all the action. Your proximity to the action of course will be a large factor here. One lens I see recommended a lot (but have never used one) is the DA55-300. My only reservations about the lens are A: It is not fixed aperture (the maximum wide open aperture changes as you zoom which will change your exposure) and B: It's a relatively slow lens. Slow meaning, it is something like f4 to f5.6 (don't remember actual). A less expensive alternative to that would be the Tamron LD Di 70-300. That one I do have some experience with and would say it's probably good enough. The fastest you can buy (reasonably) in a zoom like that is going to run you $600+ for a Tamron (or Sigma) 70-200 f2.8. The K5 sensor is good enough that you can do a lot of cropping without losing much detail. For that matter, your Sigma 18-50 may get you what you need.

Now, since you mentioned Football (what else, in Texas, Right?) weather could become an issue (rain). A catch all Weather Resistant lens would be the DA18-135. Again, I don't know anything about this lens other than it's WR and its price hovers around $500.

Here, I would agree with what others will say. Get started with your kit, decide what it is you cannot do. What you need to fill that requirement and go from there. You could easily spend $1000s on lenses and never have the one you need. The good thing about lenses vs cameras however, if you're buying used especially, you can usually get your money out of them if you decide to pass them along.

Thank you!!!! I have already posted another thread, but I still cannot think of another lens for sports that would be suitable. In Texas especially, it is DARK at night. During the soccer games I shot last year with a camera I dilike (Canon Rebel XSi) I couldn't go any higher than 1/340! That is terrible for soccer photos. The aperture was at 3, but the lighting is bad in our stadium.
I will look into that Tamron you've suggested, as they have great superzoom lenses I've heard!

thanks for your great suggestions!
06-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #21
Inactive Account

I don't have any night shots with the Tamron 70-300, no K5 shots either. I sold the lens when I bought the camera. It IS a slow lens but you will be able to go to ISO3200 with ease to get your shutter speed up. Some experimenting will be in order here.

Even in daylight when I'm trying to stop fast action, I have to boost the ISO. This was done with a 43mm lens (and is cropped)..

Exif | K5JS5752_mFA43_SiM_May10_2011 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That's about as in depth as my action shots get.

06-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #22

Original Poster
I don't have any night shots with the Tamron 70-300, no K5 shots either. I sold the lens when I bought the camera. It IS a slow lens but you will be able to go to ISO3200 with ease to get your shutter speed up. Some experimenting will be in order here.

Even in daylight when I'm trying to stop fast action, I have to boost the ISO. This was done with a 43mm lens (and is cropped)..

Exif | K5JS5752_mFA43_SiM_May10_2011 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That's about as in depth as my action shots get.

Those are quite good! I'll keep my eye out for inexpensive glass that has a bang for its buck! This is an adventure that many photographers share with me
06-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Fast superzooms usually have high price tags. If you need one by October for a handful of events only then maybe renting one would be an option. For a WR zoom, I don't have experience with the DA 50-200WR but it seems to be highly regarded by most. You may want to look in to that, too. Cheers,

You're in Texas you say......I'd be saving for an F1 race set up for next year

06-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #24

Original Poster
Ha! F1 would be awesome to snap shots of!