Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Saving up!

Hey everyone! I am completely new to this site, and I love it already!

I was hoping I could get the assistance of people who can realize what situation I'm in and help me out. I and 16, and saving up for a Pentax K-5, the thing is gorgeous!

The only problem is budget. I am working for minimum wage, (with tips, thank God.) but to get to the point, I was wondering what lenses pack a powerful punch on the K-5 that are cheap? I already have a name of a decent portrait photographer, but I only have an X90. (yes... a Superzoom digital camera LOL.)

Any information would help! I was looking at the samyang 85mm f/1.4; so something along the lines of that

Thank you!!!!

06-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new DA 35mm f/2.4 is an excellent lens for the money. It's a great "normal" FL that is very useful.

If you check reviews out around here, you can get old MF primes for cheap (I mean, really cheap).

Anyway, welcome to the forums.
06-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks so much!

I've heard of some removal problems with the MF primes to recent DSLR's? Or is that not true?
06-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by nick52 Quote
Thanks so much!

I've heard of some removal problems with the MF primes to recent DSLR's? Or is that not true?
I've only head that this is a problem with Ricoh 'A' lenses as the aperture pin on these can sometimes jam in the screw-drive motor slot! :S

06-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery
If you can miss a $

I was hoping I could get the assistance of people who can realize what situation I'm in and help me out. I and 16, and saving up for a Pentax K-5, the thing is gorgeous!
Well just ask anyone on the forum if they just can send you one or a few $ and maybe you get a kickstart.
06-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks so much!

Over 95% of the manual focus lenses you can get for Pentax DSLRs will mount and dismount easily. As the poster above said there are a few Ricoh mount lenses that will not. The link below (from our own Robin P) gives you all you need to know:
clicky

NaCl(its not a big deal at all)H2O
06-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the problem only occurs with KR mount lenses, aka ricoh mount. On those lenses, there's a little pin on the mount that can get stuck in the slot for the AF motor on your camera, resulting in stuck lens. Besides those lenses, there arent any removal issues, all my fast primes are MF lenses =)

as for lens recommendations, the 35 f/2.4 is a great lens to start out on. If you want to go even cheaper, i vote for one of the older MF 50 f/1.4 lenses. Super awesome image quality, slightly longer focal length (short tele, so great for portraits) and that amazing f/1.4 aperture.

for the samyang, i say you should hold off on that for a while. While the samyang is a great lens, it is a bit hard to use if you're not used to manually focusing (very shallow dof). Also, it gives you the field of view of a 135mm f2 lens, which is a bit long if you dont have anything else to compliment it with.

as for the k-5, do you really need everything it offers? if you're just starting out, it might be better to choose something like a k-x or k20d and spend the rest of the money on good glass. Good glass is a much better investment than a body that's way beyond what you're used to. Of course, if you know you can fully take advantage of the k-5, i say go for it, the body is a beast. Just remember that 1.5k spent on a k-5 and lens wont get you the kinds of images you can pull off with about 500 on a slightly older body and 1k in good glass.
heres a video about what i mean:

06-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If it were me, and I wanted to take pictures soon, I would buy a used Pentax K-x from KEH.com

Keh is super reliable and reputable and they always have good deals on used gear. They have a pentax k-x right now, with kit lens for $525. Then, you have about $1000 more in your budget (if you assume you have a budget equal to the cost of a k-5) to spend on lenses. Lots of great used pentax gear out there for much much less than $1k. You can get a limited lens or something else cool... IDK.

Alternately, you could buy just a used k-x body (also from keh) for about $484. Then you could get a sigma or tamron lens to pair it with... or another pentax lens... I only mentioned the off brand stuff because you can often get a good deal... For example, KEH has a tamron 18-200 available for less than $200. Thats pretty cheap!
06-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

K5 is an incredible camera, but I'm glad I started with something on the entry line. The K-x is still such a great camera and so much cheaper too. With the money left over, get yourself some Limited glass. lens > camera, always.
06-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

At 16 and working the minimum wage and owning no lenses at all, well, I'd be looking at the K-x or K-r. The IQ is 90% of a K-5 at less than half the price. That will get you shooting sooner too rather than saving for months. Then use the left over money as you do save to buy some nice lenses.
06-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
At 16 and working the minimum wage and owning no lenses at all, well, I'd be looking at the K-x or K-r. The IQ is 90% of a K-5 at less than half the price. That will get you shooting sooner too rather than saving for months. Then use the left over money as you do save to buy some nice lenses.
I need a camera that will last through my highschool years and college. Im using the camera for sports as well, and the k-5 is the best for the job.

I really appreciate your opinion, as I have considered that before!
06-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #12

Original Poster
I do have the ability to get around a DSLR. I work for a photographer who occasionally lets me shoot with her Nikon D3s. It was she who reccomended the K-r to me. I looked into it and realized I would need a camera for portraits and sports as well, I went to the K-5 for its speed, and realized the other features were simply amazing!

Thank you all for your help, I think I may look into some 50mm A or M series lenses, I hear they are quite sharp with good bokeh as well!
06-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The Pentax entry level camera within 2 years (or less) will be better than todays K-5 in image quality and autofocus though... but your money not mine ....

I suspect within 6 months the K-r replacement will be out with the K-5 sensor for example..... and the successor to that (by end of 2012) will probably have the K-3 upgraded AF....
06-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The Pentax entry level camera within 2 years (or less) will be better than todays K-5 in image quality and autofocus though... but your money not mine ....

I suspect within 6 months the K-r replacement will be out with the K-5 sensor for example..... and the successor to that (by end of 2012) will probably have the K-3 upgraded AF....
Thank you for your concern! My birthday is around the corner which is an extra 500 dollars which added on to money Im saving up might get me some good glass!

Your statement makes total sense though!
06-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

One thing that won't change is the great ergonomics of the K-5 though... enjoy