Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2011, 01:08 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots! Which waterfall do we have you standing in there?

I see you like to sit atop tall mountains. Maybe that was you I took a photo of sitting atop Mt Olympus ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/149132-so-4000...ex-2000mm.html )

Make sure to stop by and join the Utah Pentax Users Group: Utah Pentax Users Group - PentaxForums.com

06-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Great shots! Which waterfall do we have you standing in there?

I see you like to sit atop tall mountains. Maybe that was you I took a photo of sitting atop Mt Olympus ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/149132-so-4000...ex-2000mm.html )

Make sure to stop by and join the Utah Pentax Users Group: Utah Pentax Users Group - PentaxForums.com
It was the one in Adams Canyon. And that wasn't me on Mt. Olympus as I haven't made it up there yet. What a reach with that lens though!

Checking out hte UPUG now. Thanks!
06-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #18

Thanks for sharing! Those are some great photos, the last one is Amazing!
06-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks, glad you liked them!

06-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good stuff, not only did you buy fancy gear, you actually got out and used it. Have fun, be safe(ish).
06-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Good stuff, not only did you buy fancy gear, you actually got out and used it. Have fun, be safe(ish).
lol, except that, unfortunately (or fortunately?), fancy gear doesn't translate into quality photography. I've been shooting in public places more lately (festivals) and every time I'm using the DA* 50-135 people start stopping me and asking if I'm a professional, or if they have a camera as well they ask what I'm using.

My typical response to the first kind of question: "Nope, I'm just a nerd that likes taking pictures. *smile*"
06-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Great series!! It looks like you had a fun time putting the K-5 through all those elements.

Dave

01-14-2012, 01:15 AM   #23
Forum Member

Hey thanks so much for posting these really fantastic photos and sharing your adventures (gave me some cool ideas). This is exactly why I recently bought the K-5. Will be going for either a Pentax Optio or Canon D10 for my river rafting trip to either Nepal or Sri Lanka and other water sports.

It's camera makers like Pentax and GoPro who encourage people to get involved and have fun rather than passively shooting from safety.

Last edited by incidentflux; 01-14-2012 at 01:20 AM.
01-14-2012, 01:37 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Fantastic journal on your experience testing the K5 out. I reasearched the HELL out of which first DSLR to get because I needed something with the balls to handle my lifestyle. The K7 (and now K5) was the answer and I've never looked back. I have taken them in the rain, in the heat, the cold, and my favorite so far - an alpinism trip to Mont Blanc this past July. And none of this was with a DA* !! My first comes in in a few days...cannot WAIT to get my sandwich clamps on my new 50-135

Thanks again for sharing, and +1 from this guy

-Heie
01-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member

nice post
01-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jremick Quote
Yup, all these shots were with the 50-135 (a few made with lots of shots).

I can't wait to get the 16-50 as I really need the wide end of things, haha. I make do with the 50-135 and just take lots of shots.
I am working just the opposite situation - I bought my K-5 two months ago with the 16-50, which I am very happy with BTW. Next I want to add the 50-135 and seeing your Zion images makes me even more sure that is the right choice for my K-5. Thanks for sharing.
01-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Great thread. I too bought the K5 for it's ability to withstand the elements. I want to take it where ever I go in whatever weather there is. Abuser friendly!
01-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Interesting that this thread has been revived, it's one of the ones that convinced me that the weather sealing on the K5 wasn't just something people talked about or marketing hype.
01-17-2012, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #29

Original Poster
Hey all, thanks for the comments. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the post and that it helped a few of you decide which camera to get.

Since these photos (original post) were taken I've done a whole lot more traveling and put the K-5 and DA* lenses through some quite brutal weather. I figured I could update this post with some of my more recent adventures that continued putting the K-5 to the test. The K-5 has worked flawlessly so far and it goes with me everywhere. People often ask, "Do you ever NOT have your camera?" My answer, "Rarely." haha

Anyway, my most recent trip included 14 airports, over 35K miles flown and 3.5 months away from home. I went to Budapest, Hungary; Barcelona and Terrassa, Spain; Rome, Italy (was there during the OWS riots that turned violent too); and Melbourne, Australia (then back home to Utah of course). The K-5 went along with me the whole way, either on my back, in my hands or on my shoulder. :-)

Most of these photos are from Melbourne, Australia since that's where I took the K-5 through the worst weather. Although I did drop the K-5 on the concrete while waiting for the metro in Barcelona. It was right in front of about 30 people who all went, "Ohhh!!" The strap slipped out of my hand and it fell about 2 ft. landing first on the top corner of the flash. Aside from a minor scratch there's no other damage and everything still works perfectly!

No visit to Australia can be had without a visit to the beach!

Yup, I was one of the weird dudes running around the beach with a "big camera" taking pictures of everything. (A friend of mine here.)

One of the best parts for me was shooting a few of the surfers. The longest lens I own is the 50-135 which makes it a bit more challenging to get surfers from the beach, so I had to get a bit wet. To get some of these shots I went a bit more than waist deep with waves soaking me up to about my upper chest. Yes, the K-5 got wet, several times. We were out there for around 6 hours but I forgot to rinse off the K-5 every couple hours (having too much fun). When I got back to the hotel I gave it a good cleaning though. (Been working flawlessly for months after.)

This girl and her friend came up to me asking why I was out there with such a "huge camera" (her words, not mine). Anyway, after the short and humorous conversation she wanted a photo. What you don't see here is that she almost fell over on the landing — quite entertaining.

I took the K-5 out Snapper fishing for a day with a few guys I work with in Melbourne. Of course I had to make a few people nervous by leaning off the side of the boat a bit with the K-5 (was trying to get a few interesting photos, didn't really work). This wasn't really a tough environment for the K-5 other than the heat, slight humidity and a couple splashes. But, still some fun photos.

I went hiking a couple times but again, not much of a test for the K-5 with only dust/dirt to deal with.

I did, however, purchase the 31mm ltd before one of the hiking adventures, which is a stunning lens and worth every penny. I luckily managed to capture this shot, with a bee mid-flight and butterfly nearby. (And plenty of bees buzzing around my head...)

I went over to the Royal Melbourne Zoo while it was raining on and off all day, a good chance to see things without tons of people around.

And another shot I really love with the 31mm ltd. You'd never know it from this shot but there's some really thick and scratched up glass between the camera and this guy... Again, a stunning lens.

The rest of these were with the 50-135

Later that day we went for a trek into the rainforest when it decided to downpour. Fortunately I was with some adventurous people that wouldn't let a "little" rain stop them (it was like taking a shower in a muddy forest). We were all soaked from head to toe within 15 minutes and half covered in dirt or mud (especially our shoes and pants). It was awesome! The K-5 had no protection the whole time (only out there for a little over an hour) but was as wet as showering with it the whole time. We also had to check for leeches after we got back, haha. I shot with the DA* 16-50 here.

Not content with some silly water, we ventured out into a storm another day by a beach. The wind was blowing like crazy depending on where we were at, enough that the rain was sometimes nearly coming in horizontally. I didn't expect it but by the time we got back to the car the K-5 even had sand on it (but it never touched the ground). Needless to say, we didn't stay out there long.

And most recently I've been travelling between Las Vegas and Salt Lake City to visit friends and family before I leave again. After driving back from Vegas one weekend I got the sudden urge to get away from people so I drove out to Park City at 3am and then out to the edge of the Wasatch National Forest just past Kamas. I didn't stay for long since I didn't find a spot I liked but on the drive back to Park City I stopped off for this quick early morning shot.

These next couple weekends the K-5 will get the real cold/snow treatment so we'll see how it handles that. :-)

In Feb. I leave for Europe and Australia again, but this time for 6+ months, so we'll see what kind of stuff the K-5 goes through this time! :-)
01-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jremick Quote
Hey all, thanks for the comments. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the post and that it helped a few of you decide which camera to get.

Since these photos (original post) were taken I've done a whole lot more traveling and put the K-5 and DA* lenses through some quite brutal weather. I figured I could update this post with some of my more recent adventures that continued putting the K-5 to the test. The K-5 has worked flawlessly so far and it goes with me everywhere. People often ask, "Do you ever NOT have your camera?" My answer, "Rarely." haha

Anyway, my most recent trip included 14 airports, over 35K miles flown and 3.5 months away from home. I went to Budapest, Hungary; Barcelona and Terrassa, Spain; Rome, Italy (was there during the OWS riots that turned violent too); and Melbourne, Australia (then back home to Utah of course). The K-5 went along with me the whole way, either on my back, in my hands or on my shoulder. :-)

Most of these photos are from Melbourne, Australia since that's where I took the K-5 through the worst weather. Although I did drop the K-5 on the concrete while waiting for the metro in Barcelona. It was right in front of about 30 people who all went, "Ohhh!!" The strap slipped out of my hand and it fell about 2 ft. landing first on the top corner of the flash. Aside from a minor scratch there's no other damage and everything still works perfectly!

No visit to Australia can be had without a visit to the beach!

Yup, I was one of the weird dudes running around the beach with a "big camera" taking pictures of everything. (A friend of mine here.)

One of the best parts for me was shooting a few of the surfers. The longest lens I own is the 50-135 which makes it a bit more challenging to get surfers from the beach, so I had to get a bit wet. To get some of these shots I went a bit more than waist deep with waves soaking me up to about my upper chest. Yes, the K-5 got wet, several times. We were out there for around 6 hours but I forgot to rinse off the K-5 every couple hours (having too much fun). When I got back to the hotel I gave it a good cleaning though. (Been working flawlessly for months after.)

This girl and her friend came up to me asking why I was out there with such a "huge camera" (her words, not mine). Anyway, after the short and humorous conversation she wanted a photo. What you don't see here is that she almost fell over on the landing — quite entertaining.

I took the K-5 out Snapper fishing for a day with a few guys I work with in Melbourne. Of course I had to make a few people nervous by leaning off the side of the boat a bit with the K-5 (was trying to get a few interesting photos, didn't really work). This wasn't really a tough environment for the K-5 other than the heat, slight humidity and a couple splashes. But, still some fun photos.

I went hiking a couple times but again, not much of a test for the K-5 with only dust/dirt to deal with.

I did, however, purchase the 31mm ltd before one of the hiking adventures, which is a stunning lens and worth every penny. I luckily managed to capture this shot, with a bee mid-flight and butterfly nearby. (And plenty of bees buzzing around my head...)

I went over to the Royal Melbourne Zoo while it was raining on and off all day, a good chance to see things without tons of people around.

And another shot I really love with the 31mm ltd. You'd never know it from this shot but there's some really thick and scratched up glass between the camera and this guy... Again, a stunning lens.

The rest of these were with the 50-135

Later that day we went for a trek into the rainforest when it decided to downpour. Fortunately I was with some adventurous people that wouldn't let a "little" rain stop them (it was like taking a shower in a muddy forest). We were all soaked from head to toe within 15 minutes and half covered in dirt or mud (especially our shoes and pants). It was awesome! The K-5 had no protection the whole time (only out there for a little over an hour) but was as wet as showering with it the whole time. We also had to check for leeches after we got back, haha. I shot with the DA* 16-50 here.

Not content with some silly water, we ventured out into a storm another day by a beach. The wind was blowing like crazy depending on where we were at, enough that the rain was sometimes nearly coming in horizontally. I didn't expect it but by the time we got back to the car the K-5 even had sand on it (but it never touched the ground). Needless to say, we didn't stay out there long.

And most recently I've been travelling between Las Vegas and Salt Lake City to visit friends and family before I leave again. After driving back from Vegas one weekend I got the sudden urge to get away from people so I drove out to Park City at 3am and then out to the edge of the Wasatch National Forest just past Kamas. I didn't stay for long since I didn't find a spot I liked but on the drive back to Park City I stopped off for this quick early morning shot.

These next couple weekends the K-5 will get the real cold/snow treatment so we'll see how it handles that. :-)

In Feb. I leave for Europe and Australia again, but this time for 6+ months, so we'll see what kind of stuff the K-5 goes through this time! :-)
Great story mate, with pics to boot! Good to hear the K-5 is still going strong!
Looking foward to your next adventure