Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice snapper. Fresh snapper......tasty snapper...sorry, drooling a bit over the keyboard here.
Some lovely shots.

01-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #32

Thanks for sharing that story...some epic shots!
01-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #33
Veteran Member

This is amazing! You the Pentax marketing department should call you as you provide them with the exact things Pentax are trying to push with their cameras. I really need to get my camera out of the house, sports and backyard but sadly I rarely go past those areas even without the camera.
01-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #34
Forum Member

Thanks so much for the beautiful written and visual narrative. Indeed Pentax should pay you for these photos and use them for marketing on their sites and Facebook and Google+. Wish you the best for your future adventures, safe travels! Please keep posting.

Maybe someone here can make some calls to Pentax Marketing

01-23-2012, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #35

Original Poster
Hi again everyone! Thanks for the kind words, glad you all have enjoyed the photos and info. Here's a shorter update that sort of completes the seasons of abuse for the K-5 — winter.

I went snowshoeing with my sister this weekend with the K-5 and shot with the DA* 16-50. I'm not exactly sure how cold it got while we were out there but when we headed back home the Jeep said it was 18 F out. We were only out for about 2.5 hours or so (well, the camera was out for about that long). As usual, I didn't cover the camera the whole time out. I had it hanging just in front of me so I could grab and snap quickly.

Needless to say, it got very wet and very cold — but it worked flawlessly! The only thing I really noticed was the batteries took a bit of a performance hit.

A couple photos with my iPhone of the K-5 enduring the snow/cold. A bit hard to see in the first one but the K-5 is hanging on my front right hip.

And a couple shots from the K-5 and 16-50.

The next day I shot a little red carpet event at Sundance and the K-5 was still working flawlessly! Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the performance of the K-5 and pushing it in environments like these give me much more faith in its weather surviving capabilities. If/when it dies, I'll be sure to update this post.
01-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

That's frigging awesome
01-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #37
Forum Member

Seeing these photos is getting me all antsy to get out

Did you do any post processing on these photos, Lightroom etc?

01-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by incidentflux Quote
Did you do any post processing on these photos, Lightroom etc?
Yeah, the iPhone ones were crappy so I tried to do a bit to clean those up. For the ones from the K-5 I did a little sharpening and curves. The first one with my sister in it (red jacket) I applied a light "HDR" preset and made a few after adjustments.
01-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jremick Quote
I went snowshoeing with my sister this weekend with the K-5 and shot with the DA* 16-50. I'm not exactly sure how cold it got while we were out there but when we headed back home the Jeep said it was 18 F out. We were only out for about 2.5 hours or so (well, the camera was out for about that long). As usual, I didn't cover the camera the whole time out. I had it hanging just in front of me so I could grab and snap quickly.
We had -10º Fahrenheit a few days ago with 2 feet of snow, and I took my K-5 out (+ DA 15, D FA 100 WR, & DA* 300) in it for 2 hours. Camera did great! I can't wait to try it out sometime when we get -30º!
01-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #40
Pentaxian

There are some very nice shots there. 3,4 6 and 7 could benefit from some PP work. Perhaps as simple as an auto-levels correction. Very interesing shots in any case.
01-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I love this thread...unfortunately, i live in San Diego so I don't get to test my K-5s Snow Resistance

Ummm, not really unfortunate
01-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #42

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There are some very nice shots there. 3,4 6 and 7 could benefit from some PP work. Perhaps as simple as an auto-levels correction. Very interesing shots in any case.
Yeah, I'll admit I'm pretty poor at PP work. Half the time I don't have time to really do it right and when I do have time to do it right I don't really know what is actually right, haha.

It's a fun hobby anyway though.
01-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Let me provide you with a bit of inspiration then... a lot of these shots are worth working on.

01-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Jremick. Very nice. However, there's one place you've neglected. Perhaps it's time for the "mangrove experience"?

Here's a bit of inspiration:

P.B.P.F. - Sometimes I'd rather go "blind"....

Dan.
01-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #45

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Jremick. Very nice. However, there's one place you've neglected. Perhaps it's time for the "mangrove experience"?

Here's a bit of inspiration:

P.B.P.F. - Sometimes I'd rather go "blind"....

Dan.
Ah, yes! That would be quite a lot of fun! If the opportunity comes up, I'll be sure to jump right in.