Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

If it ain't broke....

It's my second day with my new K5 -- work and life have prevented me from doing much shooting (not until the weekend), but I've been playing around with it a little in-between things, and as a K20D owner, I'm perplexed about some of Pentax's choices.

The solid plastic door to the USB port of the K20D has been replaced with a flimsy rubbery thing. Why?

The dedicated exposure bracketing button is gone (though I'm glad the RAW button can be customized for the same purpose). Why?

My SMC-DA 21mm pancake lens requires a +10 AF fine adjustment, and my test images seem less sharp than they did with the K20D. Why? [I've yet to check out my other lenses]

And with the K20D, "Delete all" could be accessed by pressing the delete button twice; now, the only way (AFAIK) to get there is by digging down into one of the menus, or selecting and checking images to be deleted one at a time. Why?

Granted, I haven't really put my K5 through its paces yet, so I am probably yet to discover how wonderful it is... but thusfar, well, I frankly WANT to be impressed, but I'm really not.

Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

06-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

On my K-x if I keep spinning the e-dial to the left in picture review I get to a high level "per day" view of images, and I can delete all the images for a given day in one hit. Not sure if the K-5 works the same way, probably does.

Last edited by twitch; 06-15-2011 at 06:02 PM.
06-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by starstuff Quote
It's my second day with my new K5 -- work and life have prevented me from doing much shooting (not until the weekend), but I've been playing around with it a little in-between things, and as a K20D owner, I'm perplexed about some of Pentax's choices.

The solid plastic door to the USB port of the K20D has been replaced with a flimsy rubbery thing. Why?

They did this with the K7 and it bothered me too.

The dedicated exposure bracketing button is gone (though I'm glad the RAW button can be customized for the same purpose). Why?

My SMC-DA 21mm pancake lens requires a +10 AF fine adjustment, and my test images seem less sharp than they did with the K20D. Why? [I've yet to check out my other lenses]

And with the K20D, "Delete all" could be accessed by pressing the delete button twice; now, the only way (AFAIK) to get there is by digging down into one of the menus, or selecting and checking images to be deleted one at a time. Why?

You can access the folder (rear dial when viewing photos) and delete the entire folder.

Granted, I haven't really put my K5 through its paces yet, so I am probably yet to discover how wonderful it is... but thusfar, well, I frankly WANT to be impressed, but I'm really not.

Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
With the bigger screen and smaller body, they moved buttons around. Something had to go I guess so they gave programming options and got rid of the bracketing button, which I never used so frankly, don't miss it. Removed the SR switch, and things like that. I don't pretend to know the Why's of what these people do but I would have happily given up the larger screen to have the left side buttons where they belong. As for your 21mm, Can't answer that. It's entirely possible though that a different k20 would have required adjustment as well.

06-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Change is part of live

06-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Change is part of live
Did you mean 'life' ?
06-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Change is part of live
Some of it still sux.
06-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Forum Member

Over the past fifteen years I've owned several Canon and Olympus cameras with similar rubbery closures. Not one has torn off. They are probably tougher than the solid plastic doors, make a better water and dust seal, and don't require metal hinges and springs so they cost less for material and labor to assemble. After all cameras used to be made of wood and metal and I certainly think that they have improved over the years so today's are much better designs.

06-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And with the K20D, "Delete all" could be accessed by pressing the delete button twice; now, the only way (AFAIK) to get there is by digging down into one of the menus, or selecting and checking images to be deleted one at a time.
When in playback mode, dial the rear e-dial twice to the left. That will create a folder view of recent images, which can all be deleted simultaneously with the delete button.
06-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Press the picture view button - turn rear e-dial to left two clicks - highlight the directory you wish to delete - press the rubbish can button - confirm delete/cancel - highlight delete - press o.k. - and bingo, all gone.

In the old method one did run the chance (as I did several times) to inadvertently press the delete button twice when you really did not want to. This happened to me when, in quick succession I wanted to delete a number of shots one by one but in my hast got the "rhythm" of button presses wrong and found I had deleted everything.

Greetings

Greetings
06-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Just select format memory card and it will delete all.
06-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You will find the old hinged door with its neat rectangular rubber O-ring, while it was nice to look at, did not provide the level of dust and water protecting quality. The new rubber door performs much better in this regard.

Also, while in the open position the door could more easily be damaged while in action. (Standing proud off the camera body and a swipe in the wrong direction and the hinges are bend. After all the K-5 is an action camera, isn't it?) Again the new setup performs much better here.

People get used to model specific functions after long use. Then when they upgrade mourn over all those familiarities they suddenly have lost or have changed. This is human nature, we all do it. Don't let emotions blind you. New and different ways of design are not always the result of cost cutting. (I know sometimes they are though). In this example, what if PENTAX was confronted with an unrealistically high amount of "door repairs" because of the above mentioned reason ? Solution ? - Rubber door with rubber hinges - problem solved.

Now of course you get used to the new features and learn to like them and when you next update... And so the wheel keeps spinning.

Oh, and when everything else fails to make sens, read the manual. (I promise I'll give it a go next week).

Greetings
06-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, especially for the tip on how to "delete all". True, I need to give the new body a really fair chance: I plan to go out and do some shooting over the weekend. I also plan to do a more careful A:B comparison of the 21mm on the K20D body and the K5 body. Stay tuned on that one. And, you're right, I definitely need to get used to the new placement of things etc. before I issue a final verdict, & probably above all "embrace change". :-) Really, you guys made me feel much, much better about all this, so thanks.
06-16-2011, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really, you guys made me feel much, much better about all this, so thanks.

Hi
Glad to hear: Another satisfied customer.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne
06-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #14

By formatting the card as your "Delete All" option, you are also reducing the risk of losing photos from the card. Deleted photos aren't really deleted; their references in the file listing for the card are deleted. Continued use of this method risks corruption of that directory and, consequently, the inability to read from and write to the card properly.

You are always better off formatting the card to delete everything as that process wipes the directory and the files completely.
06-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foxhead Quote
Over the past fifteen years I've owned several Canon and Olympus cameras with similar rubbery closures. Not one has torn off. They are probably tougher than the solid plastic doors, make a better water and dust seal, and don't require metal hinges and springs so they cost less for material and labor to assemble. After all cameras used to be made of wood and metal and I certainly think that they have improved over the years so today's are much better designs.
I had an Olympus with a proper door. I dropped it and it was fine externally but the door was broke, couldn't use the camera anymore as it just locked out and sisplayed please shut card door on the screen! I'd only had it 3 days!

I must admit though I hate the rubber things on my Panasonic, trying to plug a USB cable or shutter release cable in is a one sided battle in favour of our elastomeric adversary.