Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

K5 appears to be slowing down...?!

Hi all,

My K5 today was getting really slow on burst mode. Even on M with the speed set to 1/8000 sec, the shutter did not seem to be any faster than 1/320 sec, also the camera would shoot only every 3-4 seconds.

This was in low light conditions so I guessed maybe the auto-focus was struggling a bit, so maybe slowing it down?

I tried it in full daylight and it improved, but still buffering after 7 shots...

Anyone else know what I am doing wrong?

I have removed all noise reduction functions and chrom abberation, shadow lightening...etc to help the processor(?) in a bid to speed things up.

My memory card is a class 10 32gb 23mbs and the camera was fast when I bought it .

Ideas????

I am sure it must be something I am doing wrong. I hope!

Cheers

Paul

06-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Strictly ideas:

memory card, full, near capacity?
battery charged?
AF lock before shutter release?
06-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

format your memory card and try again. if that doesn't work well, try a different brand of memory card. Memory cards are not as fast when they start filling up because the computer has to search for different sectors that are available, instead of consecutive writing -is what i read.
06-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Higher ISO shots can have file sizes upto 50% bigger. So maybe it's taking logner to write them to the card.

06-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, will reformat the card in a bit. I had a play around and found that changing the focus mode from 'C' to 'AF.S' made a massive difference. -Although I think in good lighting this is less of an issue.

I may even had it set to Raw+Jpeg by mistake (drive button seems to add it when in info mode).

Didn't realise the higher ISO had larger files, noted!

Am having a big shoot at a wedding on Sat, so will hopefully perform good from here on in.

Thanks for your responses.

Paul
06-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Have you upgraded the firmware? Better upgrade to the latest firmware to improve the stability and performance
06-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upgrade firmware on Friday for an event on Saturday?

06-17-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rocketvapor Quote
Upgrade firmware on Friday for an event on Saturday?
It won't take your 24 hours but rather 2 to 4min to upgrade, why not
06-17-2011, 01:57 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I had the latest version of firmware installed and a full battery. Will reformat the card and let you know how tomorrow goes!
06-17-2011, 03:36 AM   #10
Forum Member

With my K-5 I experienced it slowing down in shutter speed, while my flash was mounted, even though it was turned off. As soon as I removed the flash, the shutter speed was back to it's normal fast pace.
06-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
Banned

Well using AF-C and setting the preference to focussing and not fps slows your camera down to some 3 fps I guess with difficult things to focus on (and depending on the lens).
06-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #12

anytime, if you just want to check speed:
set af-c to priority fps
mode m, set shutter speed to 1/1000 or more ( we don't care about exposure)
set burst mode to quickest

Press the button , keep it pressed and listen to the clic clic clic
It should go 7 fps and stop after a while (less than 20 pics if i remember well) for raw files, and until the card is full for jpeg.
I you care about the shutter count, don't play it too much cause you could add 100 shutter clics in a few seconds.
06-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You received some good advice so far. Let me add a personal experience. I shoot often in Hi Continuous Shooting and I need the Hi frame rate 5.2 fps for at least 5-10 s. I even took sequences of more than 60 s at 5.2 fps. (I have a K-7, but the K-5 has the basically the same features). I did numerous tests with a range of settings and lenses. Ultimately I found a solution whcih works well for me (and other Pentaxians).

The keys of consistent fast burst rates are:
1- switch off (kill off) al in-camera PP,
2- use a fast card (class 10 or better) with ample of free space,
3- shoot JPEG and select a JPEG size such the the JPEG size times time the frame rate is less than the card writing speed.

[1] is critical in all cases. Remove all in-camera PP including lens distortion correction, high-ISO correction, ....

[2] and [3] are essential to long sequences/bursts to prevent the buffer to be full.

Hope that the comments will help.
06-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
You received some good advice so far. Let me add a personal experience. I shoot often in Hi Continuous Shooting and I need the Hi frame rate 5.2 fps for at least 5-10 s. I even took sequences of more than 60 s at 5.2 fps. (I have a K-7, but the K-5 has the basically the same features). I did numerous tests with a range of settings and lenses. Ultimately I found a solution whcih works well for me (and other Pentaxians).

The keys of consistent fast burst rates are:
1- switch off (kill off) al in-camera PP,
2- use a fast card (class 10 or better) with ample of free space,
3- shoot JPEG and select a JPEG size such the the JPEG size times time the frame rate is less than the card writing speed.

[1] is critical in all cases. Remove all in-camera PP including lens distortion correction, high-ISO correction, ....

[2] and [3] are essential to long sequences/bursts to prevent the buffer to be full.

Hope that the comments will help.
With K-7 you can take pictures at hi-speed for ever with setting the camera to jpg and one star quality. This is not possible with K-5. The max is some 105-107 jpg in one minute, it slows down when buffer is full and continous with about 1,3 fps. For RAW it is about 1,25 fps after full buffer with a fast card.
06-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Higher ISO shots can have file sizes upto 50% bigger.
The most likely cause. High ISO K-5 RAW files can be huge. Add to that handling high-ISO JPGs (you said you were shooting RAW+) and it means the camera is being asked to pump out and process probably 50MB or more of data for each shot. Handling these extra megabytes and then doing the in-camera JPG processing itself is a huge CPU, memory buffer and I/O load, which in turn will also expose bottlenecks in your disk media (write speeds to your SD card).